Windows 10: High CPU when first starting the laptop

Discus and support High CPU when first starting the laptop in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I have had my lap top (make, model and specs in my system details) for about two weeks, and have noticed that it often uses a lot of CPU even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Others, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Others Win User

High CPU when first starting the laptop

Hello,

I have had my lap top (make, model and specs in my system details) for about two weeks, and have noticed that it often uses a lot of CPU even when I'm not running anything. For example, I can just start up the lap top, open Task Manager, and see that there is a lot of CPU activity. As a result, the machine runs quite slowly.

I tried running msconfig and disabling all non-MS services, but it didn't really help (maybe a weeny bit, but not enough to say the problem went away).

Looking at the Details tab of Task Manager shows that svchost.exe uses a lot of CPU.

I just restarted again, and whilst the CPU wasn't as high as I've seen, it was still quite high considering I wasn't running anything at all. I used the Windows Assessment Toolkit to grab a trace which I've attached.

Anyone able to give any ideas what's going on?
    Thanks

:)

Others, Feb 24, 2018

2. Microsoft IME High CPU Use After 2016-09-29 Update

after the update, IME still initiated with high CPU, I let it run the process and after about 1 min, it stopped.

everytime I start my laptop, it will consume high CPU but at least it would stop at some point.

still annoying.

maxboy0505, Feb 24, 2018
  3. Windows Defender high cpu following scan

Hi, Not sure when the problem first started, just noticed it a few weeks ago when looking at the Task Monitor for another issue. Just ran a quick scan and when it finished, the cpu dropped down to normal so it's just the full scan that appears to cause
    the high cpu after the scan has finished.

PCshepheard, Feb 24, 2018
  4. mrgeek Win User

Click the arrow next to svchost.exe and no doubt you'll see that Windows Update which starts up each time you start the device is the culprit. Since I shut down every night and this was slowing down the computer for 15-20 min each time, I disable WU with this utility and just enable when a WU is issued. This will temp hide your Installed Update history but Windows Defender will still update itself at startup, as usual. Test and see if it helps - Disable Windows 10 Automatic Updates with Win Update Stop | NoVirusThanks

mrgeek, Feb 24, 2018
  5. Others Win User
    Thanks very much for your reply.
    Did you mean an arrow next to svchost in the pro cesses tab? In the details tab I can't see any arrows.
    I have loads of 'Service Hosts:...' I can't figure out if one of them is the Windows update.

Others, Feb 24, 2018
  6. zinou Win User
    Hi,

I've looked at your trace file and what I can see is that the CPU activity caused by svchost you've seen in the task manager is due to Prefetcher activity.

The prefetcher is a windows mechanism that improve I/O operation on disk devices. It's triggered when the system is idle to rearrange files, and do some defragmentation to speed up the boot process & applications' launche. This is why there is a High disk I/O shown on the Disk graph.

This can be a normal behavior, but if you states that you notice that every day, it means that the Prefetcher is may be broken and need to be "repaired".

I'll not recommend to disable the superfetch, that can lead to poor performance on your 5400 rpm disk. Instead I'd recommend you run this command to helps the prefetcher working properly again;

xbootmgr -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot

this reboots Windows several times (6 times), does a defrag and trains the prefetcher again. Be patient it can take some time.

High CPU when first starting the laptop [​IMG]

zinou, Feb 24, 2018
  7. Others Win User
    Thanks for that suggestion zinou,
    I ran xbootmgr -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot and somewhere part way (rebooting for the 3rd time) through it got stuck at preparing system (about an hour). So I rebooted the lap top, and once it finally restarted, it carried on with the process and again is stuck on 'Preparing system...'
    Awaiting any kind response!

Others, Feb 25, 2018
  8. Others Win User

I checked the Task manager and found that an antivirus program was trying to update, so I disabled that and it finished the process.
    Now, even though it has finished I can still see it in Task Manager, is there anything I still need to do?
    Upon checking the CPU, it does seem to have gone back to normal.
    I will update if anything else to report.
    Thanks!

Others, Feb 25, 2018
  9. zinou Win User
    Yes this can take several hours depending on the size of data on your disk. You have to be patient ...

zinou, Feb 25, 2018
  10. zinou Win User
    You can use autologon tool from sysinternals, it will avoid you to enter manually your credentials at each reboot ...

zinou, Feb 25, 2018
  11. Others Win User
    It has finished the whole process. Rebooted 6 times.
    Is that it??
    What where those screenshots you showed above?

Others, Feb 25, 2018
  12. zinou Win User
    Ok, take another boot trace. save the trace file on an external drive (Usb key), so that you will not add overhead to the disk I/O.
    We'll see if there is any improvement...

zinou, Feb 25, 2018
  13. zinou Win User

Also upload the resulting file generated by the xboomgr command you can find under c:\user\your_profile. you'll find several .ETL files...upload the latest.

zinou, Feb 25, 2018
  14. Others Win User
    Could you clarify what you mean boot trace??
    Should I do another 'Windows Performance Recorder' ?
    The only .ETL files I found under my user profile, was from the original Record folder that I uploaded in my first post.
    Thanks

Others, Feb 25, 2018
  15. zinou Win User
    Sorry, I mean take another trace using Windows Performance Recorder as you did before. Record for 2 minutes to get enough data to analyze.

zinou, Feb 25, 2018
Thema:

1. High CPU when first starting the laptop - Similar Threads - High CPU starting

2. High CPU when opening Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High CPU when opening Start Menu: Prerequisites Multi monitor setup Task bar on all displays. Display 3 is main display. IMHO this behavior exists only for a few days or weeks, but I cannot exactly tell when it started. I have the situation on two different hardware setups, Dell and HP and on a company and a...
  3. High CPU when opening Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High CPU when opening Start Menu: Prerequisites Multi monitor setup Task bar on all displays. Display 3 is main display. IMHO this behavior exists only for a few days or weeks, but I cannot exactly tell when it started. I have the situation on two different hardware setups, Dell and HP and on a company and a...
  4. High CPU when opening Start Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. High CPU usage when laptop at sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High CPU usage when laptop at sleep: I am using Asus G14 .... when make my laptop sleep then the temperature was increasing ... i recorded CPU usage while in sleep ... and found that the CPU usage reached 8 to 10 percent idle usage 2 to 3 percent .... from windows rescource monitor ii found the the system was...
  6. High CPU usage when laptop at sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High CPU usage when laptop at sleep: I am using Asus G14 .... when make my laptop sleep then the temperature was increasing ... i recorded CPU usage while in sleep ... and found that the CPU usage reached 8 to 10 percent idle usage 2 to 3 percent .... from windows rescource monitor ii found the the system was...
  7. Very High CPU usage when starting Minecraft

Very High CPU usage when starting Minecraft: Is Minecraft supposed to use almost 100% of my CPU when it starts up? I started the game, tabbed out and checked task manager and it said my CPU was at 98%, then dropped to less than 10. I tested and it has nothing to do with the graphics cause I tried it with the highest and...
  8. CPU high usage at start up

CPU high usage at start up: My Dell computer is running high CPU 100% at start up and not responding for 3 minutes any applications on my computer. This is happening everyday after since 5 months used. Please help me to how to solve this....
  9. Highly cpu cores usage first boot up

Highly cpu cores usage first boot up: [IMG]hello ....can assist me to solve this cpu high usage on all cores during first booting up pc ....i had to restart it again to make it normal usage on all cpu cores....happen everytime boot from cold start up windows.....tq...
  10. laptop freezing when streaming + High Disk and CPU

in Windows 10 Support
    laptop freezing when streaming + High Disk and CPU: Hi everyone, for about a week or two now my laptop has bee doing some crazy shit. The most alarming one for me is that lately every time I have more than 3 tabs open on my browser or if I even open Netflix my laptop will freeze. It becomes completely unresponsive, and I have...