Windows 10: High CPU Windows 10, File explorer unstable and no Index

Discus and support High CPU Windows 10, File explorer unstable and no Index in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi. I have multiple issues on my Windows 10 PC right now. And i Think they are related. I think the main problem is that indexing has stopped... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Geir Hogstad, Jul 2, 2020.

1. High CPU Windows 10, File explorer unstable and no Index

Hi.

I have multiple issues on my Windows 10 PC right now. And i Think they are related. I think the main problem is that indexing has stopped working.

File explore often takes takes foever to load

Wsearch har status Starting under services not running

There is a process called Microsoft Windows Search-index -> Windows Search in task manage that use a lot og CPU.

I should have added some pictures here, but File explorer is to slow.

Hei try to run the maintenance task for Search and indexing, I got the message that "Windows search is not running"

PC Lenovo

Windows 10 Pro

Best regards

- Geir

:)

Geir Hogstad, Jul 2, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 2, 2020
  3. ajs007 Win User
    Windows Explorer high CPU usage as Apps or Background Process...

3May2018...

Running Windows10 Home Ver 1709 latest OS Build on

Intel Core i5 CPU @ 3.8GHz.

Recently Windows Explorer has been running at high CPU usage 45% to 50%

Even when I am not using File Explorer - Windows Explorer runs as a Background Process as same high CPU usage...

First when will Microsoft stick to the new name File Explorer - instead of showing Windows Explorer as the app in the Task Manager...confusing :-(

Two - I saw someone else with the same problem and a ridiculous multi step cumbersome solution of creating another account (where Windows Explorer did not have high CPU) and then a painful exercise of trying to migrate all applications and files from one
    account to the other.

Apparently the original user account may have had a corruption....

Are there any simpler explanations out there on how to fix run away Windows(File) Explorer???

ajs007, Jul 2, 2020
  4. High CPU Windows 10, File explorer unstable and no Index

Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

Hi Andrew,

Usually, too many background processes can boost your CPU usage. Since you already disabled the apps that are not necessary on startup,
    we suggest checking the applications running once you have successfully boot Windows 10. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

From there, you should see what applications are running on high CPU usage. You can also
    restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service and see if your CPU performance will improve. Follow the instructions below to restart the service:

• Click on the Start button and type Services.
    • Scroll down the list and look for Windows Management Instrumentation.
    • Right click on it and select Restart.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

High CPU Windows 10, File explorer unstable and no Index

1. High CPU Windows 10, File explorer unstable and no Index - Similar Threads - High CPU File

2. Microsoft Windows Search Indexer High CPU usage and Windows Explorer Freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Windows Search Indexer High CPU usage and Windows Explorer Freezing: Whenever I try to open a folder from the Windows explorer, it freezes and never responds. I have to restart it to unfreeze it. I currently cant open any files from Windows Explorer. I can use another file explorer application to access files, as well as browse from within...
  3. Microsoft Windows Search Indexer High CPU usage and Windows Explorer Freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Windows Search Indexer High CPU usage and Windows Explorer Freezing: Whenever I try to open a folder from the Windows explorer, it freezes and never responds. I have to restart it to unfreeze it. I currently cant open any files from Windows Explorer. I can use another file explorer application to access files, as well as browse from within...
  4. Windows Explorer using high CPU.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer using high CPU.: Windows explorer is constantly using over 15% cpu for whatever reason and total cpu utilisation is up at 17% at idle . I've tried everything: uninstalling AVG Which was using similar cpu at the same time, deleting all shortcuts on the desktop, using the chkdsk commands,...
  5. File Explorer Unstable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer Unstable: Symptoms: I first noticed that the thumbnails for my picture files weren't displaying. Then I found that they weren't previewing either. After changing the folder view settings to see what would happen, the folder view settings greyed out and were unresponsive. Closing and...
  6. high CPU usage by Windows Explorer

high CPU usage by Windows Explorer: Hi, I was looking through the performance of my new msi laptop, and noticed Windows Explorer was using almost the same, if not more CPU than fusion360. Even with all apps closed and at idle, the program is still using up to 17% cpu. I've looked up causes for this, and one...
  7. Windows 10 Search Indexer Frequently Gets Stuck With High CPU

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Indexer Frequently Gets Stuck With High CPU: Running Windows 10 Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.356)/Office 365 ProPlus Version 1808 on a 2018 X1 Carbon (maximum specs)/SSD drive. I have Indexing Options set to normal settings--just indexing some local folders on the internal C drive, plus Outlook mail. Not indexing any...
  8. Windows 10 Explorer Refresh and High CPU Usage

Windows 10 Explorer Refresh and High CPU Usage: Hi, I have an HP Laptop running windows 10 pro 1809 (fully up to date). Recently the user has noticed at all times from power up to shutdown all of the icons, both desktop and taskbar are constantly refreshing. I have rolled back and re-installed the display driver to...
  9. Microsoft Windows Search Indexer (searchindexer.exe) using high CPU.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Windows Search Indexer (searchindexer.exe) using high CPU.: searchindexer.exe is sucking up my CPU resources. The average CPU use is always around 50-55%. I tried disabling through services.msc and even removing it through Windows Feature on/off. But this process still manages to slide in and still hogging 50+% CPU. I even disabled...
  10. My Windows 10 installation is highly unstable.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My Windows 10 installation is highly unstable.: My Win 10 installation which I did from the net is highly unstable. It freezes up constantly at different times after I reach the Desktop. I am unable to do anything with it. My games freeze up and exit, my internet freezes,... I'm really very frustrated and at a loss what to...