Windows 10: High Definition Audio Controller Driver Error

Discus and support High Definition Audio Controller Driver Error in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My laptop crashed recently and when it restarted, there was no sound available. The sound icon in the taskbar says: "No speakers or headphones are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sunil Manohar, Jun 23, 2019.

1. High Definition Audio Controller Driver Error

My laptop crashed recently and when it restarted, there was no sound available. The sound icon in the taskbar says: "No speakers or headphones are plugged in".

Here is what I have done so far:

• Opened Device Manager to find the faulty driver. The driver in question is the "High Definition Audio Controller" driver under the "System Devices" tab. I have tried to update it online with no luck (the latest drivers are already installed), update it via list of drivers already present on my system (Code 10 error: The device cannot start), uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it via Windows Update and also automatic reinstall after restarting the system. The issue has persisted. I cannot rollback to the previous driver version as that option is greyed out.
    • Run Memory Diagnostic checks, SFC checks and DISM checks and tried to repair the system via those. No system integrity violations found.
    • Updated all device drivers either manually via Device Manager or Driver Updater software like IOBit Driver Booster 6/DriverPack Solutions.
    • Updated GPU drivers to the latest version.
    • Performed a Safe Boot to check if issue persists (it does) and also performed a clean boot to check for issue. The issue persisted when all third party services along with startup items were disabled. So the issue is most definitely related to Microsoft.
    • Restarted Windows Audio Service from the Services window.
    • Updated Windows to the latest version. I am currently running on Windows 10 Home Single Language v1903 with OS Build 18362.175. On a side note, I was facing the same problems in the last version (v1809) as well without any solutions, but it went away for a while after I updated my system. So rolling back to my previous build will not help.
    • Selectively uninstalled Windows Updates from the past few days to check if the issue was update related.
    • Run a system scan to check for malware via both Windows Security and Bitdefender Total Security. Both turned up negative.
    • Checked registry in H_KEY for any errors.
    • Tried to find alternative driver without any success (The problematic driver is hdaudbus.inf, located in C:\Windows\INF)
    • Checked my laptop's manufacturer website for latest drivers.
    • I shouldn't need to clarify this, but I obviously ran the Windows Troubleshooter for sound problems without any success.

I am currently on MSI GV 62 - 8RE, if it helps.

I would also appreciate if you would not suggest a clean reinstall of Windows. Given that this is primarily a WIndows OS issue, the problem will only reappear later down the line and I can't be reinstalling Windows every few weeks when this pops up again. But apart from this I am open to other suggestions. Please let me know if you need any other information.

:)

Sunil Manohar, Jun 23, 2019
  2. Arun B J Win User

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Not Working

Hi,

I realized your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to update the driver and check if the issue persist.

Follow the steps to Update the driver and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X key and click
      Device Manager.
    • Select IDT High Definition Audio CODEC on Device Manager.
    • Select the Driver tab.
    • Click on Update Driver.
    • Select the option “browse my computer for driver software”.
    • Select the option “let me pick up a list of device drivers on my computer”.
    • Select the High Definition Audio Device instead of IDT High Definition" And click next.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Jun 23, 2019
  3. TomSt3 Win User
    Intel High Definition Audio is not working.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Audio-Driver-Error

Solved the problem for me.

Device Manager->System Devices->Intel Smart Sound Audio Controller (or similar)

Roll Back to "High Definition Audio Controller"

Right Click-> Update Driver

Browse My Computer for driver software

Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer

Select "High Definition Audio Controller" Next

Once installed reboot and problem should be solved.

TomSt3, Jun 23, 2019
  4. High Definition Audio Controller Driver Error

Intel High Definition Audio is not working.

Awesome that got it

Thanks

DarrenMcRobertsNZ, Jun 23, 2019
Thema:

High Definition Audio Controller Driver Error

1. High Definition Audio Controller Driver Error - Similar Threads - High Definition Audio

2. High Definition Audio Controler is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High Definition Audio Controler is not working: Hello,My system information as below:Processor: IntelR CoreTM i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz Installed RAM: 8.00 GB System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Edition: Windows 10 Pro Version: 21H2 download audio driver from manufacturer website.I have install...
  3. High definition audio drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    High definition audio drivers: I was previously using the high definition audio drivers from windows but I wanted to try out realtek, after using realtek I wanted to switch back to my windows audio drivers but it disappeared and I can only find it in the Audio Inputs and outputs section on the device...
  4. high definition audio controller error

high definition audio controller error: so as expected i have the basic no sound problem ... u would think that its a easy fix but no.. i have tried everything i could possibly do but if i install a windows that is 7 or up the sound does not work ive tried windows xp and it works lol ive tried a fake version of...
  5. High Definition Controller Driver Error (Code10)

High Definition Controller Driver Error (Code10): Hello I am hoping someone can help me. I have an Acer Revo 70 Nettop RT3090 4GB Ram & 698GB HHD, and HD 6320 Graphics, since updating to Windows 10 from windows 7 a couple of years ago, I can not get any sound from the nettop other than by adding a portable speaker to the...
  6. High Definition Audio Controller Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High Definition Audio Controller Error: Ok, so the other night, my PC worked just fine, I came home last night turned it on and it doesnt have any output or input for audio. I check device manager and see that it says that my Realtek is unplugged. I found this under, desktop-sound, video and game controllers so...
  7. High Definition Audio Controller Broken

High Definition Audio Controller Broken: Hi, according to my device manager the high definition audio controller is not working, and as a result my audio is currently not working. In trying to fix this issue, I've attempted the various suggestions offered within the other threads regarding this specific issue, yet...
  8. High Definition Audio Controller has a driver issue.

High Definition Audio Controller has a driver issue.: I had this problem today. I played at one time some music from youtube. then after a few hours and a Graphics card update, my speakers don't work. They connect by a headphone jack. I went to devices and printers and it says it is a driver error. I get code 10. I uninstalled...
  9. High Definition Audio Controller Issues

High Definition Audio Controller Issues: As of today my computer's audio has stopped working. I check in Device Manager and see that there is an issue with the "High Definition Audio Controller". I tried disabling it and enabling it but that did not work. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and it still did...
  10. High Definition Audio Controller Driver Problem

High Definition Audio Controller Driver Problem: Dear Community, In my device manager i have two high definition audio controller driver. One of the audio controller driver is disabled automatically. I tried to enable it manually. If i restart the computer it disabled again. If i try to update the...