Windows 10: High definition sound card

Discus and support High definition sound card in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, I do a lot of music composition, and I feel I could be getting a better sound quality out of my computer if I bought a high... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by kenrob2037, Apr 29, 2016.

1. High definition sound card

Hello Everyone,

I do a lot of music composition, and I feel I could be getting a better sound quality out of my computer if I bought a high definition sound card, or am I kidding myself?

Here's my system,

Processor: Intel i7-3770 @3.4 Ghz
    Ram: 16 GB
    System: 64-bit
    Soundcard: Via HD Audio
    Speakers: Bose Companion 2
    DAW: Mixcraft 7

If I was to add something like a Sound Blaster X-Fi soundcard, would there be a noticeable difference in sound quality?

Or, should I just get better quality speakers?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Rob

:)

kenrob2037, Apr 29, 2016

2. No Sound

I upgraded windows 8.1 to windows 10 and have lost sound of speakers. The sound card of PC is IDT HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO CODEC but Device manager is not showing that but instead of that the Device Manager is showing HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE. Please
    help me in retrieving the sound of my PC.

Mazhar AliKazmi, Apr 29, 2016
  3. High Definition Audio Controller cannot start. This device cannot start. (Code 10).

For anyone having the same problem with me about the High Definition Audio Controller and sound, I just updated again my BIOS and searched for a new driver via the Device Manager for
    High Definition Audio Controller and it's all back to normal. No errors and sound card showing again in Sound , video and game controllers.

-Pierre

P_i_e_R_R_e, Apr 29, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

High definition sound card

I have this card and like it very much, great sound and enough connections for what i feel you may need for music composition.
    http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blast...nd-blaster-zxr

As far as speakers i also like what i use (in system specs here) but there are many choices besides PC speakers for sound quality you can use with a amp or receiver to.

jds63, Apr 29, 2016
  5. bobkn Win User
    I don't know whether adding a discrete soundcard would audibly improve the sound from your system. The X-Fi is a fairly old (2005). The Z series (as in post #2) is the latest from Creative Labs, from 2012. (There are much cheaper ZX solutions than that, if you don't need all the features in the highest end package.)

There are other options, including no soundcard at all:

Digital Hi-Fi Speakers - X300A - EGG - KEF United States

The KEF Egg can use a USB connection for up to 24 bit / 96 kHz digital audio. (This is a powered speaker pair with a built-in DAC.) There are other speaker pairs that can accept USB or other digital inputs, if you'd like to go that way.

bobkn, Apr 29, 2016
  6. Wullail Win User
    The Xi-Fi doesn't have a windows 10 driver and is marked as 'end of life' , I have one but have never managed to get it working on my Windows 10 PC...always issues with drivers.

Have you looked at 'Soundblaster Xi-Fi MB3?' software, sits between your motherboard on-board chip and your speakers , tweaks the sound...I get decent quality sound from it , as good as my old hardware Xi-Fi card gave at least.

OEM - Software Solutions - Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3

Wullail, Apr 29, 2016
  7. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Apr 29, 2016
  8. High definition sound card

Thanks for all the information everyone. I am looking at a more modern sound card other than the Sound Blaster X-Fi. But from what I have learned, the sound quality has more to do with amplification and speakers.

Obviously sound quality on computers is pretty poor compared to even an average sound system, but as a musician, I play directly into my computer to record and manipulate my music in a DAW. It's not until I mixdown to WAV and throw it on a USB or CD and plug into a quality system can I hear the real sound quality.

Wish I could record into my PC and play it on my sound system, because it's a beauty. They are in different rooms.

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers

Rob

kenrob2037, May 1, 2016
  9. jds63 Win User
    The one i mentioned is more modern then the Sound Blaster X-Fi and a good quality sound card. Sound quality is not due to amplification but quality of the components parts that is being amplified and yes a good pair of speakers makes that quality sound like quality.

True i might not ever compare a good home or studio amplifier with quality speakers to a sound card on a PC, but you can be surprised by some sound cards outputted to other devices or inputting devices. As said about DAW, i am sure there must be plenty of other types of software for musicians used by professionals and non-professional through PC's. Is WAV only way it can be mixed ?

Usually Music store online show software for this.

jds63, May 2, 2016
  10. bobkn Win User
    I neglected to mention the JBL LSR305 monitors. I don't own them, but they are highly regarded studio monitors. They're readily available (amazon.com). Monitors are intended for music production. Many people use them as powered speakers, though.

bobkn, May 2, 2016
  11. Yes, time to look at better monitors I feel. Thanks again.

kenrob2037, May 2, 2016
  12. This is just my opinion, but getting studio monitors will easily expose your sound card's limitations unless it's one of those special edition motherboard with emphasis on high quality audio.

I use a high quality external sound card (more appropriate term is "DAC" with USB, Optical and Digital Coax inputs) along with a dedicated preamplifier/headphone amplifier to listen to my headphones. I don't listen to speakers at home since it will disturb our neighbor though. BTW, my external DAC is Analog Devices AD5547CRUZ with Schiit USB Audio Gen 2 as the USB drivers.

See my High Definition headphone listening setup here:

High definition sound card [​IMG]

High definition sound card [​IMG]

The external Sound Card (DAC) is on the top left while the preamplifier/headphone amplifier is on the right. the "iFi" in the middle is a externally powered audio grade USB hub to isolate motherboard EMI/RFI from entering the sound card.

But first, definitely get a high fidelity speakers or studio monitors before even spending money on DACs and amplifiers since it will provide 85 % sound improvement IMO. Getting the most out of your speakers (the latter 15% is where DAC and amplifiers come to play. If you feel that your high end studio monitors sound flat and lifeless, it might not be getting a clean/proper analog signal from the sound card in your computer. Also, keep in mind that almost all serious studio monitors are balanced while consumer speakers are single ended so you must have a preamplifier or a power amplfier with balanced outputs.

IMO HiFi speakers will always sound more pleasing than studio monitors since studio monitors exposes the imperfections in the recording while HiFi speakers can still make poor recordings sound decent.

theveterans, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

High definition sound card

1. High definition sound card - Similar Threads - High definition sound

2. have 2 high definition audio controllers but no sound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    have 2 high definition audio controllers but no sound: If i go under control panel view device and printer under hardware and sound. It shows the High definition audio controller with a yellow triangle with a ! in the center. Right clicked check properties and under the hardware tab there are 2 High definition audio controller...
  3. have 2 high definition audio controllers but no sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    have 2 high definition audio controllers but no sound: If i go under control panel view device and printer under hardware and sound. It shows the High definition audio controller with a yellow triangle with a ! in the center. Right clicked check properties and under the hardware tab there are 2 High definition audio controller...
  4. high definition problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    high definition problem: high definition problemhow i fix it i try everything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-definition-problem/a8741182-dc26-4cdb-aaaf-91b53dadc9f9
  5. High definition audio

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    High definition audio: Hello everyone, I encountered such a problem that the Microsoft high-definition audio controller writes code 10, the requested operation was not completed. I reinstalled the driver, nothing helps....
  6. High definition audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High definition audio: Hello everyone, I encountered such a problem that the Microsoft high-definition audio controller writes code 10, the requested operation was not completed. I reinstalled the driver, nothing helps....
  7. Audio High Definition Sound Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Audio High Definition Sound Not Working: How do I correct this problem ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-high-definition-sound-not-working/00f901ce-423d-44bc-bceb-668acdd27432
  8. high definition

in Windows 10 Customization
    high definition: Hello, My laptop is windows 10 with a display resolution 1920x1080, true color (32 bit) 60 hurtz. Every movie I download choosing 1080p option looks like 480p. No brightness or high definition at all. What did I miss? Can u help?...
  9. No sound from Realtek High Definition Audio device

No sound from Realtek High Definition Audio device: Hi all, I'll try to tell the story from start to finish to provide all the detail possible. Originally, I used to use my old RIG headset on my computer using a spliter that was connected to my monitor and I had it in combination with some speakers connected to the...
  10. Realtek High Definition Sound Problem

Realtek High Definition Sound Problem: Hello ! I reinstalled my Windows 10 a week ago and since then my sound is not working good. I'm using Realtek High Definition driver and it worked good before. But since i reinstalled my Windows the sound is really bad. It has like a little echo and it's really annoying....