Windows 10: High disc usage when running srtasks.exe

Discus and support High disc usage when running srtasks.exe in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Every now and then, my disc usage goes through the roof, slowing down whatever I'm trying to do. When I looked at Task Manager today, Microsoft System... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rosawoodsii, Jun 18, 2020.

1. High disc usage when running srtasks.exe

Every now and then, my disc usage goes through the roof, slowing down whatever I'm trying to do. When I looked at Task Manager today, Microsoft System Protection Background Tasks was running, accessing the disc at 99% capacity. It took 15 minutes for it to settle down.

Is this Windows Defender doing this? If not, what, and how do I stop it from consuming disc time when I'm trying to use my laptop?
    Windows 10 Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.900)

:)

rosawoodsii, Jun 18, 2020

2. srtasks 100% cpu usage

This problem appears to have cleared its self. The last time I had multiple srtasks threads I shut down my pc which I notice did not shut down in the normal way. I rebooted it to find the 17 srtasks still going in the task manager. I pressed the power
    button until it shut down, restarted the pc and so far to date I have had no srtasks running.

DavidBarfield, Jun 18, 2020
  3. Aaron_Sum Win User
    unsual high cpu usage of regsvr32.exe

Hi,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing an issue with high CPU usage of the regsvr32.exe. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. What is the make and model of your system?
    2. Which build of Windows 10 is running on your system? To check that, click on
      Start, type winver and press
      Enter.
    3. Was there any major change or an update on your system, prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?

The regsvr32.exe or the Microsoft Register Server is a command line utility for Windows operating system. This is used to register an unregister ActiveX objects and DLLs with respect to applications. This is a part of Windows and
    it is needed for the proper functioning of the OS. If there is a high CPU usage due to the regsvr32.exe, then it may be due to an application or a process that is constantly trying to reach the Register Server in order to access the DLL or other objects for
    its appropriate functioning.

Hence we will need to isolate the root cause of this issue and then proceed with the troubleshooting steps accordingly. To do that I would suggest you to follow the methods below.

Method 1: Start your system in Safe Mode.

Safe mode starts Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers. If a problem doesn't happen in safe mode, this means that default settings and basic device drivers aren't causing the issue. You can refer the
    article to
    Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10
    , follow the section ‘From Settings’ and check if the issue still persists in safe mode. If not, please proceed to Method 2.

Note: To exit the safe mode, follow the 'Note' section within the same article provided above.

Method 2: Checking through clean boot.

Disclaimer - A ‘clean boot’ starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with the normal
    functioning of your system. Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality while in a clean boot environment, however that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after you have finished your troubleshooting.

You can check this article on
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    to start your system in clean boot and then please follow the section ‘How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot’ to proceed with the troubleshooting.

Note: To start your system in normal mode, you can refer the section 'Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting'.

If the issue still persists, please reply to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps suggested above as well. We will look into this for you and we will be glad to assist you with this.

Regards,

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Jun 18, 2020
  4. High disc usage when running srtasks.exe

There is a very high CPU usage from the Microsoft(C) Register Server (regsvr32.exe).

Thank you for the update. If in safe mode the problem does not occur and the issue occurs on normal boot, there is a possibility of a third-party program which makes Microsoft Register Server fluctuate into high CPU usage. Can you provide further information
    for us to isolate this issue further? Please answer the following questions:

• Are there any programs recently installed on the PC?
    • Which programs currently run on your PC when the usage turns high?

To isolate the issue as well, try to turn on the PC and don’t open any programs for a few minutes. Try to check if the CPU usage is still high. If it is, there’s a probability that it is one of the programs running on the background.

We suggest checking this support article: Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10 and try to follow the
    recommendations to check if this will improve the performance of the device.

We’ll be waiting for any updates regarding the issue.

Arthur Rui, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

High disc usage when running srtasks.exe

1. High disc usage when running srtasks.exe - Similar Threads - High disc usage

2. Why is my RAM usage so high when nothing is running?

in Windows 10 News
    Why is my RAM usage so high when nothing is running?: [ATTACH]If you are not running any apps while your Task Manager continuously shows that you use more than 70% of your RAM, then your PC has a high Memory/RAM usage issue. Ideally, it is normal to observe 30-40% RAM usage on your PC when nothing is running as this amount of...
  3. High fluctuating disc usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High fluctuating disc usage: Straight to the pointI brought my laptop like 10 days agoAfter some time high disc usage problems occurred I've tried everything to solve it even a factory reset tooBut nothing helpedThen i stop diagtrack services and it came to normalBut after that my disc is like...
  4. High CPU, Memory And Disc Usage By ntoskrnl.exe

High CPU, Memory And Disc Usage By ntoskrnl.exe: Hi Before I tell you my problem, I think you should know some history. I successfully updated my 32 bit of windows 10 to 64 bit windows 10. The problem started the next day when my laptop started to hang and when i opened task manager it showed that more than 40% of CPU and...
  5. High CPU Usage cxuiusvc64.exe is the culprit

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU Usage cxuiusvc64.exe is the culprit: Hi. Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928) So my problems started a few days after the last update; 2021-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64 based Systems (KB5001330). I have Piriforms Speccy installed and it reports the cpu temp is around a constant temp in...
  6. Known Windows 10 high disc usage bug

Known Windows 10 high disc usage bug: Since I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10, I've been having issues with my system freezing and then sometimes going to the 'blue' screen. I started running task manager and I can see that the disc usage spikes to 100% intermittently and then comes back down. This is...
  7. High CPU usage when running OneDrive

High CPU usage when running OneDrive: I am running OneDrive both for a work account, and personal account. Frequently almost all the time OneDrive is running it causes my machine to hit 100% CPU usage with Windows Explorer.exe taking about 2/3rds of that. Here is a screenshot of Process Explorer, with CPU...
  8. unsual high cpu usage of regsvr32.exe

unsual high cpu usage of regsvr32.exe: hello everyone I'm having a bit of trouble with this application. Just recently my CPU has been mostly taken up by one instance of the above file continuously running. Now I have had a look in Task Manager and the following command lines are stated as below:-...
  9. Windows 10 high CPU usage & 100% Disc usage

Windows 10 high CPU usage & 100% Disc usage: I got a brand new laptop. I haven't downloaded anything on it yet because I plan on adding a SSD & another 4gigs of ram for a total of 8. Well, I've done all the updates & such to get it to the latest version of windows 10 home. It seemed to be running fine ,just browsing the...
  10. High ram usage with nothing running

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High ram usage with nothing running: I built a new pc a week ago and today it started lagging like crazy and i noticed insane ram usage at first it was 99% with nothing showing too big of a usage: here's the screenshot and then i restarted pc and i found a solution online that disabling ndu.sys in registry fixes...