Windows 10: High Disk Activity 100% in Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support High Disk Activity 100% in Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I experience 100% Disk Activity in Task Manager / Resource Monitor even if there are only a few 0.1 MB/s processes. Where are those processes causing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Tor AndersJohansen, Apr 23, 2021.

1. High Disk Activity 100% in Windows 10 Pro

I experience 100% Disk Activity in Task Manager / Resource Monitor even if there are only a few 0.1 MB/s processes. Where are those processes causing all this activity?The system is running on a powerful iMac from 2020 using latest Parallels Desktop 16 virtual machine VM with latest Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2, build 19042.928. The disk is 3TB SSD, 16 GB memory assigned to VM, and dual virtual CPUs assigned for VM. The MacOS itself has almost no load at all when this happens.When this happens it feels like the system is stopping/halting with no UI responsiveness at all. I cannot

:)

Tor AndersJohansen, Apr 23, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

100% Disk Activity Time and HDD health

Hi, having read a few reports found with a search on "100% disk activity, low cpu use" - from Win 8 onwards, I suggest:

a. disable readyboost if in use
    b. disable defragmentation
    c. try changing the power plan from balanced to high performance
    d. if you use Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology try updating it- see:
    100% Disk Usage - Page 4
    e. Windows Defender may be active whilst disk use is high.

These are things people have reported have had an effect. However, this doesn't necessarily identify an exact cause, so is unsatisfactory.

dalchina, Apr 23, 2021
  3. Windows 10: 100% disk utilization in the Task Manger after Start up.

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with high hard disk usage in the task manager . I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in system settings.

To assist you better, please provide us the information below:

• When you say that "it goes back to a higher usage", is hard disk percentage increases to 100% percentage or up to certain high level? Is there is any variation in hard disk percentage when run different application on Windows 10?
    • When you say that "problem saving u post them for others", what are the troubleshooting steps which you have tried to resolve the issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to check for any system changes in the computer and also update all the Windows updates.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the system maintenance troubleshooter. It will resolve the common system problems.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on
    Troubleshooting

3. Then click on System and Security.

4. Click on System Maintenance.

5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

Step 2: I recommend you to update all the pending Windows updates on the computer and check if it helps.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with
    high hard disk usage in the task manager with Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 23, 2021
  4. Rohn007 Win User

High Disk Activity 100% in Windows 10 Pro

100% High Disk Usage

Thats a little tricky, it is not any single program or service.

Here are links to some articles on run away disk use. Maybe one of the techniques they used will help you ...

2018 01 04- TOP 10 WAYS TO FIX HIGH CPU/RAM/MEMORY USAGE AFTER WINDOWS 10 UPDATE–

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-hig...

Many users reported that RAM and CPU usage went up after installing Windows 10. The detailed situations of this Windows 10 high RAM/CPU memory usage issue are like that

. 1 Registry Hack

. 2 Utility to fix Driver issue

. 3 Manual fix for Driver Issue

. 4 Adjust Performance settings

. 5 Check Task Manager for RAM use

. 6 Disable unneeded Programs at startup

. 7 Defrag HD

. 8 Close apps

. 9 Virus scan system

. 10 Restart Computer

READ MORE – SEVERAL LINKS FOR 100% HIGH CPU / RAM / FAN

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/stop-whats-rev...

Top 10 Ways to Fix High CPU/RAM/Memory Usage after Windows 10 Update

Fix Windows 10 High Memory Usage/Leak after the Creators Update

Fix WMI Provider Host High CPU Usage after Windows 10 Creators Update
    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/wmi-pro...

Fix Computer Fan Noise Due to High CPU Usage on Windows 10
    https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-com...

2018 02 23- 10 TIPS TO FIX 100% DISK USAGE & IMPROVE WINDOWS PERFORMANCE

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-tips-fix-100-di...

. 1 Anti Malware

. 2. Disable Windows Search

. 3 Disable SuperFetch

. 4 Flash Player plugin

. 5 Skype

. 6 PCI-Express Firmware

. 7 Diagnostic Tracking

. 8 Windows Update

. 9 Virtual Memory

. 10 Turn on High Performance Mode

WIN10 100% DISK USAGE (SPIN NOT SPACE) PROBLEM

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-100-pe...

<snip>

In the Task Manager, under Performance tab, the disk utilization reaches to 100% due to which system became lagging and unresponsive. It started freezing in few moments and this keeps happening until disk usage reduces from 100%.

Control panel > Power Options > Edit Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Processor Power Management > Maximum Processor state.

Also, once I start Chrome 64, it uses lots of cpu and ram to do absolutely nothing.

</snip>

Rohn007, Apr 23, 2021
Thema:

High Disk Activity 100% in Windows 10 Pro

1. High Disk Activity 100% in Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - High Disk Activity

2. Windows 10 Pro 22H2 100% disk problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Pro 22H2 100% disk problem: I just started experiencing this a few days ago, around October 2 2023. Before that, nothing seemed weird or out of place. note that i had this pc for 5 years now, and I had some major problems with it On that date, I was given a bluescreen for half a second before...
  3. Windows 10 Pro 22H2 100% disk problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Pro 22H2 100% disk problem: I just started experiencing this a few days ago, around October 2 2023. Before that, nothing seemed weird or out of place. note that i had this pc for 5 years now, and I had some major problems with it On that date, I was given a bluescreen for half a second before...
  4. Windows 10 High disk usage 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 High disk usage 100%: I have been suffering from this issue for over a year now, couldn't find the main reason for it, 100% disk usage which slows my pc all time while do anything, i have been trying all the solutions but nothing seems to work,should I change to windows 7 for better disk...
  5. Windows 10 High disk usage 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 High disk usage 100%: I have been suffering from this issue for over a year now, couldn't find the main reason for it, 100% disk usage which slows my pc all time while do anything, i have been trying all the solutions but nothing seems to work,should I change to windows 7 for better disk...
  6. Windows 10 High disk usage 100%

7. Disk Usage 100% Windows 10 Pro

Disk Usage 100% Windows 10 Pro: My dad's pc which runs windows 10 pro has had the well-known 100% disk usage issue. I built him this work-pc about 2 years ago, so I know the computer's hardware should be fine. I have tried scanning the disk for errors and updating important drivers but neither have worked....
  8. disk at 100% activity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disk at 100% activity: Why is my Disk at 100% Activity all the time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-at-100-activity/ca247932-95a2-4244-8734-f717004e49a8
  9. high/100% disk usage

high/100% disk usage: Ok about a week ago i noticed my pc running slow and Checked task manager seeing 100% disk it will randomly appear And disappear I've already tried many things to fix It but nothing helps does anyone know a sure fix?...
  10. High DISK 100% usage

High DISK 100% usage: Forum Curious to know if I might have a problem(s) or maybe it's just the nature of the beast. At startup the following executables are responsible to 100% disk usage thus slowing down my laptop for anywhere 3 - 14/15 minutes: Service Host: Local System (Network...