Windows 10: high DPC latency and audio distortion (crackling and popping sounds)

Discus and support high DPC latency and audio distortion (crackling and popping sounds) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi guys, Yesterday evening I was watching some youtube videos when suddenly the sound cut out. I turned the volume back up only to find there was a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by confusedlenovo, May 27, 2018.

1. high DPC latency and audio distortion (crackling and popping sounds)

Hi guys,

Yesterday evening I was watching some youtube videos when suddenly the sound cut out. I turned the volume back up only to find there was a loud staticky crackling pop as the only audio output. Audio output is fine on headphones.

I have a Lenovo Yoga 920 (with highest specs) with Windows 10 home 64x bit. Since the issue arose, I have tried several things:

- disable/enable drivers by REALTEK related to sound, and Qualcomm Wifi Network Adapter

-Reinstall drivers via windows and directly via REALTEK website

- Update Windows 10 OS as well as BIOS

- Messed around with several battery plan settings

- Restored PC to previous backup, then messed around with audio mixer. This helped, as there was no distortion until volume 20, but beyond that it was the exact same issue.

- Lastly, I resorted to just resetting my computer (deleting all files, etc.)

My next step would be to do a clean install of windows 10 but I need to be using my computer and was wondering if there is a better way.

I believe this is a software/driver related issue as I was partially able to fix it by messing with the mixer settings (even when not having restored my PC). However, this "fix" doesn't work since I reset my PC...

I installed LatencyMon, and the results are below:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____
    CONCLUSION
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____
    Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:00:37 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name: DESKTOP-LGEOIBC
    OS version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
    Hardware: 80Y7, LENOVO, LNVNB161216
    CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz
    Logical processors: 8
    Processor groups: 1
    RAM: 16225 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed: 1992.0 MHz
    Measured CPU speed: 3593.0 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 929.927472
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 8.979495

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 447.742857
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 2.455677

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 111.240964
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: ACPI.sys - ACPI Driver for NT, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.009347
    Driver with highest ISR total time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.011471

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 3448
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 2023.446285
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 1.553956
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 1.770268

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 85746
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 4786
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 104
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 1
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

Process with highest pagefault count: none

Total number of hard pagefaults 0
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 0
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 0.0
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0.0
    Number of processes hit: 0

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.591193
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 111.240964
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 0.034046
    CPU 0 ISR count: 3422
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 718.909639
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 0.306354
    CPU 0 DPC count: 27570
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.245845
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 13.325301
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.000238
    CPU 1 ISR count: 26
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 727.685241
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.039950
    CPU 1 DPC count: 4244
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 4.614998
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 2 ISR count: 0
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 2023.446285
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 4.680427
    CPU 2 DPC count: 32869
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.239530
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 3 ISR count: 0
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 674.337349
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.042118
    CPU 3 DPC count: 4638
    CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.173858
    CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 4 ISR count: 0
    CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 873.683735
    CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 0.024456
    CPU 4 DPC count: 3729
    CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.231268
    CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 5 ISR count: 0
    CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 820.943775
    CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.084043
    CPU 5 DPC count: 6057
    CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.156598
    CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 6 ISR count: 0
    CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 554.286647
    CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 0.024860
    CPU 6 DPC count: 4525
    CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.198202
    CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 7 ISR count: 0
    CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 653.330321
    CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 0.088627
    CPU 7 DPC count: 7005

Thank you in advance for your help!

:)

confusedlenovo, May 27, 2018

2. Audio stuttering/buzzing and storport.sys high dpc latency

I've only had this audio issue for a few weeks already after I did a custom windows 10 install bc of a previous problem. I've also posted twice about this but no one has helped me yet. I'll post the following possible solutions and suggestions that
    I've already done to avoid repeated answers

I did: audio troubleshooter, uninstalled then reinstalled audio drivers, disabled audio enhancements and tried different audio quality under the advanced tab.

After more searching online I tried using DPC Latency Checker (and then LatencyMon to be more detailed) since I read that having high dpc latency can cause problems with real time audio among other things. Apparently
    storport.sys is the problem? I literally just have basic knowledge about anything regarding this kind of stuff and I don't have any clue on how to fix this so I just hope someone can help me and give me steps by steps suggestions on how I can solve this. my
    audio has just been driving me crazy with those stuttering sounds and I don't want it to worsen.

I would also like to know if having
    Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller
    and nothing else aside from that, under
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    , is okay and won't cause problems?

please, I hope someone can help and answer this time around!

CeriWilliams1, May 27, 2018
  3. Earnestz Win User
    Audio crackling due to DPC latency

Hello!

While playing Arma 3 I noticed strange crackling/popping noises in the menu and in-game when there were a lot of background sounds. I found a video of someone else on YouTube who had the same issue:

Arma 3- Crackling and Popping Audio - YouTube

The crackling was also brought to my attention during video playback on YouTube at some occasions. Sometimes videos froze or turned black. I did not think much of it when I first noticed it. A few days ago, I remember having a "nvlddmkm.sys stopped working
    and recovered" warning when the pc came back from sleep mode that I now recognize as another symptom of the issue. I also experienced multiple BSODs caused by nvlddmkm.sys a month or so ago that I suspected to be caused by faulty drivers. However, no BSOD
    has happened to me ever since. Today I got another "nvlddmkm.sys stopped working" notification while I was watching a YouTube video.

When I googled the sound crackles, I read that there might be a connection to a latency issue with my drivers. I installed LatencyMon (Dpc Latency checker doesn't work with Windows 10). I let it run in the background while I continued playing Arma 3 and it
    confirmed my suspicion. According to LatencyMon, the Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode driver, my old friend Nvlddmkm.sys, is causing the "buffer underruns". I attached screenshots of the LatencyMon results to this post. When I found out that the problem lay with
    my graphics driver, I did a complete clean install of Windows 10. I turned off automatic driver updates and reinstalled all drivers manually from scratch. But the issue persisted. I even plugged in a different pair of speakers to see if my subwoofers were
    failing but still no avail. The new speakers had even worse sound disruptions (strange low tone background noise eve though there was no sound input). I also updated my BIOS.

I also changed the processor minimum state to 100% in the power plan settings and entered
    BCDEDIT /SET DISABLEDYNAMICTICK YES into an elevated command prompt. None of these fixes worked. I also booted the system up in safe mode, I could not reproduce the issue though, as I couldn't run LatencyMon, Microsoft Edge, as I was unable to start any
    app.

Finally I created an experf trace with the Windows Performance Toolkit while I experienced the sound crackling in the hope that you are able to analyse it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/36ka05db2qtobl9/CPU.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fh8owxen04...ernel.zip?dl=0

Thank you for reading this. Do you think this might be harware related and my graphics card is bad?

high DPC latency and audio distortion (crackling and popping sounds) [​IMG]

Edit:

Duplicate thread:

Link:

DPC Latency Audio Crackling

Title:

DPC Latency Audio Crackling

Hi!

I originally created a different post but the community moderator that tried to help me hasn't responded for days, despite of the mail I wrote him. I hope that is okay.

My problem:

While playing Arma 3 I noticed strange crackling/popping noises in the menu and in-game when there were a lot of background sounds. I found a video of someone else on YouTube who had the same issue:

Arma 3- Crackling and Popping Audio - YouTube

The crackling was also brought to my attention during video playback on YouTube at some occasions. Sometimes videos froze or turned black. I did not think much of it when I first noticed it. A few days ago, I remember having a "nvlddmkm.sys stopped working
    and recovered" warning when the pc came back from sleep mode that I now recognize as another symptom of the issue. I also experienced multiple BSODs caused by nvlddmkm.sys a month or so ago that I suspected to be caused by faulty drivers. However, no BSOD
    has happened to me ever since. Today I got another "nvlddmkm.sys stopped working" notification while I was watching a YouTube video.

When I googled the sound crackles, I read that there might be a connection to a latency issue with my drivers. I installed LatencyMon (Dpc Latency checker doesn't work with Windows 10). I let it run in the background while I continued playing Arma 3 and it
    confirmed my suspicion. According to LatencyMon, the Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode driver, my old friend Nvlddmkm.sys, is causing the "buffer underruns". I attached screenshots of the LatencyMon results to this post. When I found out that the problem lay with
    my graphics driver, I did a complete clean install of Windows 10. I turned off automatic driver updates and reinstalled all drivers manually from scratch. But the issue persisted. I even plugged in a different pair of speakers to see if my subwoofers were
    failing but still no avail. The new speakers had even worse sound disruptions (strange low tone background noise eve though there was no sound input). I also updated my BIOS.

I also changed the processor minimum state to 100% in the power plan settings and entered
    BCDEDIT /SET DISABLEDYNAMICTICK YES into an elevated command prompt. None of these fixes worked. I also booted the system up in safe mode, I could not reproduce the issue though, as I couldn't run LatencyMon, Microsoft Edge. I was unable to start any
    app.

As advised by ZigZag, I made a system file check with the sfc /scannow command (issues found and repaired). CBS log here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7mm8olgp1g61rl/CBS.log?dl=0

I also tested my GPU with Furmark. It completed a 30 Minute session on the 1280x720 preset without a problem.

Additionally, I tried an older GPU driver. That didn't fix the crackling and latency either.

I ran a Windows Performance Toolkit trace within 40 seconds of gameplay. I hope there is someone who could take a look at it and advise on how to further proceed:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxgjt7p45cs2kjy/newDESKTOP-MC0C4RH.10-20-2015.17-00-54.zip?dl=0

Here is another trace recording a latency spike after coming back from sleepmode:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/essgy6fzx...C0C4RH.10-20-2015.16-17-22.Standby_1.zip?dl=0

I would be very grateful if you could take a look at these as I really don't have any more options. There is one more thing: I installed Arma 3 and LatencyMon on a different machine also running Windows 10. It showed almost exactly the same symptoms, including
    the audio popping and the latency spikes. How is that possible?

Thank you for your help!

Earnestz, May 27, 2018
Thema:

high DPC latency and audio distortion (crackling and popping sounds)

1. high DPC latency and audio distortion (crackling and popping sounds) - Similar Threads - high DPC latency

2. High DPC latency / Sound pops and clicks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High DPC latency / Sound pops and clicks: Heyho technical support,maybe You can help me. What i tried so far:- Update all drivers- deactivated non Microsoft related services msconfigs, services and starts- bought a new soundcard- Updated Bios and changed CPU Power- and a lot more things i can't even rememberOnly...
  3. High dpc latency causing audio crackling/lag

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High dpc latency causing audio crackling/lag: Hello I have been having audio issues ever since I got a new Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd gen and a Shure SM7B + cloudlifter. It started off with crackling every couple minutes and then started getting worse and worse as time went on. I thought it mightve been a hardware thing...
  4. High dpc latency causing audio crackling/lag

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High dpc latency causing audio crackling/lag: Hello I have been having audio issues ever since I got a new Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd gen and a Shure SM7B + cloudlifter. It started off with crackling every couple minutes and then started getting worse and worse as time went on. I thought it mightve been a hardware thing...
  5. DPC Latency Issues, Audio Popping and Crackling Horribly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DPC Latency Issues, Audio Popping and Crackling Horribly: Hello. For about a week I have been experiencing glitchy, popping, crackling audio, This seems to mainly happen when streaming YouTube videos, Spotify, or any audio over internet while playing through my Focusrite Scarlett interface. When playing through headphones this...
  6. Audio Crackling/Popping and DPC Latency Issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Crackling/Popping and DPC Latency Issues: Hi, I seem to get Audio Crackling and Popping issues, after searching the web for a bit I noticed that this issue is generally tied to DPC Latency so I used LatencyMon to recorded for around 2 hours (stats below). In my case it doesn't seem to happen immediately after...
  7. Audio Crackling/Popping and DPC Latency Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Audio Crackling/Popping and DPC Latency Issues: Hi, I seem to get Audio Crackling and Popping issues, after searching the web for a bit I noticed that this issue is generally tied to DPC Latency so I used LatencyMon to recorded for around 2 hours (stats below). In my case it doesn't seem to happen immediately after...
  8. Solution(s) for Audio & Sound being muffled/crackled/popping/distorted, High DPC Latency...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Solution(s) for Audio & Sound being muffled/crackled/popping/distorted, High DPC Latency...: 100 links, several searches on the web. Many solution that didn't work even after using the registry to change values on PowerSettings, installing the latest windows update(1909), and after spending 2 whole days doing just that. Here are some fixes: Change the "Minimum...
  9. Crackling sound on audio recording. High DPC latency ACPI.sys and ndis.sys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crackling sound on audio recording. High DPC latency ACPI.sys and ndis.sys: Hi, I am having some issues with audio recording that seems to be caused by high DPC latency issues. I record music with a mixer that I is plugged into my laptop through usb. On the record I can hear crackling sounds. I have searched for solutions on many forums and...
  10. Sound Distortion Possibly Caused by High DPC Latency

in Windows 10 Support
    Sound Distortion Possibly Caused by High DPC Latency: Hello. I have had this issue for a while now and I have not figured out a way to stop it. I have tried reinstalling windows and have updated drivers, but nothing seems to work. DPC latency checker stats are below. [img] Thank you. 81909

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nvlddmkm.sys audio distortion