Windows 10: High DPC latency from acpi.sys causing audio clicks and pops

Discus and support High DPC latency from acpi.sys causing audio clicks and pops in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Has anyone found a definitive fix for this? I am encountering an issue with DPC latency causing clicking and popping when trying to record using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MatthewVilleneuve, Jun 26, 2019.

1. High DPC latency from acpi.sys causing audio clicks and pops

Has anyone found a definitive fix for this? I am encountering an issue with DPC latency causing clicking and popping when trying to record using multi-track audio software (in my case Presonus StudioOne, but exact same issue reported by countless others I've read on other forums across the internet, with a wide range of DAW software on all manufacturers Windows notebooks). When using the LatencyMon utility, I consistently see "...reported DPC routine execution time" of 4100 or higher, from ACPI.sys activity. Noises occur using either external audio interface, or onboard sound card (when left enabled)

My system:
    Dell Precision 7730, Intel i7-8750H, 40G RAM, 3x M2 SSDs (OS, Projects, Samples)
    Clean install of Windows 10 Pro, build 1903
    Audio Interface: PreSonus Quantum 2 (Thunderbolt 2, connected via recommended/tested startech TB3->2 adapter)

What I've tried so far that has not resolved the issue:
    Set power mode to "Best Performance, additional settings to Max everything, set Minimum processor state to 100%
    Disable ACPI-Compliant Control Method battery in device manager

Update BIOS, all firmware and all drivers (seriously, have gone over with a fine-tooth comb. Really ALL, and have tried both Dell and original vendor for any where available)
    In BIOS:
    Turned off C-states
    Turn off Intel TurboBooost
    Turn off Intel Speedstep
    Turn off Intel Speed Shift
    Set "thunderbolt adapter configuration" to "no security"
    Uninstall "Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework"
    Uninstall Bonjour, MaxxAudioPro, OneDrive, XBox Companion, Skype, Xbox Live, Microsoft Weather, Mail and Calendar, Solitaire, OneNote, Office, Paint3d, Print3d, Sticky Notes, Voice Recorder, Groove Music
    bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes (run cmd as administrator)
    Install Latency-Mon and Process Lasso, observe that high DPC latency processes limited to cores 0, 2, and 10. Set process affinity in Process Lasso for studioone.exe to avoid those cores.
    Turn off "energy efficient ethernet" in advanced options of ethernet connection
    Turn off "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in power management tab for both ethernet and wireless nic
    Set roaming aggressiveness to "lowest" for Wireless nic
    Turn off "Link Power Management" in Intel Rapid storage technology
    Turn off Windows system sounds
    Set Performance Options, adjust for best performance of Background Services
    Performance Options -> Visual Effects "Adjust for best performance"
    Advanced > Data Execution Prevention > ensured set for DEP for essential Windows programs and services only.
    Settings->Privacy->Background Apps-> Let apps run in the background = Off
    Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > right-click on a "USB Root Hub" > Properties > Power Management > deselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" > press "OK."
    Device Manager -> Sound, Video and game controllers -> Disable "AMD High Definition Audio Device", "Intel Display Audio", and "Realtek(R) Audio"
    Turn off "Allow downloads from other PCs" in windows update delivery optimization
    In power & sleep, set both screen and sleep timeout to "never"
    In power options-> system settings, set power button to "shutdown", remove sleep from shutdown settings
    In power options ensure "Turn on Fast Startup" is deselected
    Task Manager -> Startup -> Disable "Realtek HD Audio Universal Service"
    Task Manager -> Startup -> Disable Waves MaxxAudio Service Application"

There are a rash of people returning or selling their Windows based notebooks, as this issue renders them nearly unusable for multitrack audio recording. The clicking goes away if one raises the buffer size (nomenclature differs depending on software), but this makes the audio latency unusable for recording in sync with previous tracks.

:)

MatthewVilleneuve, Jun 26, 2019

2. High DPC latency

I use my Dell XPS for recording and live playback but the system suffers from high DPC latency caused by ACPI driver.

I removed Dell audio drivers and installed those from RealTek with no avail. Latency is an issue because I need this computer for live recording. Please your advice.

ChaundraRaddatz, Jun 26, 2019
  3. High DPC latency causing audio stutters

Quite different hardware but this may have your attention.

Sound artifacts and high DPC latency seemingly related to storport driver can be caused by switching between Cx power saving processor states. My pci-express add-on soundcard works correctly only if C states greater than C1 are disabled:

High DPC latency from acpi.sys causing audio clicks and pops [​IMG]

If you want to give it a try, see your mobo manual:

High DPC latency from acpi.sys causing audio clicks and pops [​IMG]

muchomurka, Jun 26, 2019
  4. High DPC latency from acpi.sys causing audio clicks and pops

ACPI driver causing abnormally high Latency on Dell XPS 15 9570

ACPI is causing high DPC latency, concerns over live recording capabilities and live playback.

I have uninstalled stock Dell audio drivers and installed RealTek drivers (not sure which ones), this has fixed popping sounds coming from the speakers or headphones.

I need to use this laptop for live recording and live playback of music for a live band, latency cannot be an issue I should have, can you advice on how to fix this?

DanielBlanton1, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

High DPC latency from acpi.sys causing audio clicks and pops

1. High DPC latency from acpi.sys causing audio clicks and pops - Similar Threads - High DPC latency

2. High DPC latency / Sound pops and clicks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High DPC latency / Sound pops and clicks: Heyho technical support,maybe You can help me. What i tried so far:- Update all drivers- deactivated non Microsoft related services msconfigs, services and starts- bought a new soundcard- Updated Bios and changed CPU Power- and a lot more things i can't even rememberOnly...
  3. High DPC latency / Sound pops and clicks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High DPC latency / Sound pops and clicks: Heyho technical support,maybe You can help me. What i tried so far:- Update all drivers- deactivated non Microsoft related services msconfigs, services and starts- bought a new soundcard- Updated Bios and changed CPU Power- and a lot more things i can't even rememberOnly...
  4. High DPC latency / Sound pops and clicks

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. High DPC latency causing audio pops

High DPC latency causing audio pops: Since I bought my laptop I can hear random popping sounds while playing a Youtube video, it doesn't happen frequently so I decided to let it pass. Some days ago I decided to get to the root of the problem and I found it was due to a high DPC latency.I have updated my drivers...
  6. High DPC latency from acpi.sys causing audio clicks and pops

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    High DPC latency from acpi.sys causing audio clicks and pops: I have audio popping. All drivers and BIOS are latest. LatencyMon stats: _________________________________________________________________________________________________________ CONCLUSION...
  7. DPC latency, caused by wdf01000.sys latency.

DPC latency, caused by wdf01000.sys latency.: Hi, I'm looking for a fix for this windows latency issue. I am experiencing high latency and interrupts due to windows drivers specifically "wdf01000.sys, kernal mode driver framework runtime." You can see this from the screenshot of the latency monitor check. [IMG]...
  8. High DPC Latency caused by wdf01000.sys

High DPC Latency caused by wdf01000.sys: Hello, I am posting this regarding a problem that I ran across in my laptop at the beginning of august 2019, the problem is that I am getting high DPC Latency levels that are apparently caused by wdf01000.sys according to the latency checking program, latencymon. I really...
  9. High DPC latency causing audio pops and clicks

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    High DPC latency causing audio pops and clicks: I recently installed some new hardware (CPU, motherboard and memory) and did a clean Windows 10 installation. Since then both my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and on-board sound device have been giving me trouble. I've tried various solutions mentioned in other threads about DPC...
  10. High DPC latency causing audio pops and clicks

High DPC latency causing audio pops and clicks: I recently installed some new hardware (CPU, motherboard and memory) and did a clean Windows 10 installation. Since then both my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and on-board sound device have been giving me trouble. I've tried various solutions mentioned in other threads about DPC...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. acpi.sys latency

2. acpi.sys cause audio click

3. ACPY.SYS RESOLVE LATENCY

4. windows drivers causing pops an clicks in daw,
  5. focusrite drivers causing clicks pops