Windows 10: High GPU usage by "csrss.exe" and "dwm.exe" even when idle.

Discus and support High GPU usage by "csrss.exe" and "dwm.exe" even when idle. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I have been having this problem for a very long time. I have searched on the web and many people seem to have had the same problem, but no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by acamb, Apr 21, 2019.

1. acamb Win User

High GPU usage by "csrss.exe" and "dwm.exe" even when idle.

Hi,

I have been having this problem for a very long time. I have searched on the web and many people seem to have had the same problem, but no definitive solution posted anywhere. So I open the case again:

My problem is, windows processes Client Server Runtime Process (csrss.exe) and Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) very often start using the integrated GPU card (GPU 0 - 3D). This causes the laptop fans to go crazy, there is stuttering on videos and on my mouse and my work (which is resource intensive) is affected.

This issue can happen at any time, at any level of use of the computer. That is, it can happen as soon as I boot up, when working, when watching netflix, etc. It is indiscriminate and over the past year I have never seen any correlation to specific usage. The frequency is very high, and when it starts it keeps going for prolonged periods of time to the extent that I would say almost half the time I am on my laptop, this issue happens.

In the past I have tried:

• Clean install of Windows
    • Re-installing the integrated graphics card's drivers
    • Re-installing dedicated graphics card's drivers (GTX 1050)
    • Disabled all fancy Aero settings

But nothing fixed it.

Below is a screenshot of what the task manager usually shows during these episodes.

High GPU usage by "csrss.exe" and "dwm.exe" even when idle. 842bccf7-a4fe-468c-b066-eb5bfe223eff?upload=true.png

My machine:

• Dell XPS 15 9560
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8CPUs)
    • RAM: 16 GB
    • Integrated graphics: Intel HD Graphics 630
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

I have seen a few threads in which this issue happens on the same machine as mine:

This issue has been going on for as long as I remember having this laptop. Any help would be much appreciated.

:)

acamb, Apr 21, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

csrss and dwm processes High GPU Usage causing stutterings

High GPU usage - csrss.exe - Resolved Malware Removal Logs - Malwarebytes Forums
    This example backs up what @Faith said above. So do do that first.

If clean:
    Please have a look at your Update History. Is there anything there- including drivers at the bottom- that was updated just before this started happening?

Have you made any changes- installed anything- that might be responsible?

Do you have any System Restore points created before this started happening?
    Or disk images? (I constantly urge users to use this routinely, as do many here - e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for disk image sets)

Desktop Window Manager - Microsoft Community

- a long thread- see if there's anything helpful there.

Sudden high GPU usage by client server runtime process makes huge fps - Microsoft Community
    - try a clean boot. Is there any change?

note forum rules say 'useless one liners' and thread bumping are not allowed. I can understand your enthusiasm to resolve this.

dalchina, Apr 21, 2019
  3. csrss.exe high GPU usage at desktop screen

Thanks for your reply Franklin.

I did full-scan by windows defender as well as malwarebytes. No threats found.

In msconfig, no csrss found. Actually for my story, the csrss.exe does not start until a few seconds after I enter desktop. That is to say, first few seconds everything is normal and then csrss.exe starts to run and cause high usage of GPU.

GPU driver has been updated to the latest version... no luck.

Thanks for your advice anyways! I will keep researching on this.

Arthur_Jin, Apr 21, 2019
  4. Ege. Win User

windows 10.exe high cpu usage

hey

yesterday i found that my cpu usage is so high and windows 10.exe is responsible for it. it uses %60 cpu constantly and when i try to execute, it starts again automatically. i tried windows deffender to scan but it couldnt find any malware etc. also when
    i diconnected from internet and killed windows 10.exe from task manager it is not coming back.

i hope you can find a sollution.

thank you inadvance

ps: i am using windows 10 64 bit.

Thema:

1. High GPU usage by "csrss.exe" and "dwm.exe" even when idle. - Similar Threads - High GPU usage

2. high gpu usage when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    high gpu usage when idle: 2 programs have very high gpu usage when im not doing anything ive looked at a few forms and they are all a few years old and i still havent fixed it, i recently wiped my C drive and this problem didnt happen before....
  3. high gpu usage when idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    high gpu usage when idle: 2 programs have very high gpu usage when im not doing anything ive looked at a few forms and they are all a few years old and i still havent fixed it, i recently wiped my C drive and this problem didnt happen before....
  4. high gpu usage when idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. GETTING HIGH RAM USAGE EVEN WHEN IDLE !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GETTING HIGH RAM USAGE EVEN WHEN IDLE !: Hi everyone , please help ! I have 8 gb ram . But for last few days , i am experiencing high memory usage . In the above screenshot , I wanna mention no app was in use other that snip tool . !! It irritates while using obs and vmware ........HELP!!...
  6. GETTING HIGH RAM USAGE EVEN WHEN IDLE !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GETTING HIGH RAM USAGE EVEN WHEN IDLE !: Hi everyone , please help ! I have 8 gb ram . But for last few days , i am experiencing high memory usage . In the above screenshot , I wanna mention no app was in use other that snip tool . !! It irritates while using obs and vmware ........HELP!!...
  7. DWM EXE high memory, anyone know how to fix it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DWM EXE high memory, anyone know how to fix it: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/u7m40go4z8b61.png?width=666&format=png&auto=webp&s=a54ff7e9c58e02b4417c2abc2d4682e8e03c2e36 submitted by /u/mr_griffon [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kx0o1w/dwm_exe_high_memory_anyone_know_how_to_fix_it/
  8. High GPU Usage When Idle

High GPU Usage When Idle: In task manager it says that "Service Host: BcastDVRUserService" is randomly hopping around anywhere from 20-50% GPU usage while idle, and "Desktop Windows Manager" jumps around anywhere from 5-30% usage. My GPU is an RTX 2070 Super if that makes any difference. This never...
  9. Dwm and csrss using my gpu

Dwm and csrss using my gpu: Hey so the dwm and csrss using my gpu while im moving window folder(dwm) and while im moving cursor (csrss) and each of them can use 10% or higher And when im in csgo there is 10% of use of it (dwm) and 20% for.csgo im wondering if its okey or not...
  10. csrss and dwm processes High GPU Usage causing stutterings

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    csrss and dwm processes High GPU Usage causing stutterings: Today a problem started randomly. My desktop is stuttering, Youtube, anything. But when i disable AMD Radeon display on Device Manager, it stopps the stuttering, i already tried to reinstall graphic drivers, but any version i install, keeps the stutterings. So the only option...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dwm high gpu

2. usage gpu crss.exe

3. client server runtime process gpu usage laptop

4. csrss heavy gpu usage,
  5. high gpu usage,
  6. force windows desktop manager to display on dedicated gpu,
  7. crss.exe gpu 3d 0,
  8. dwm.exe high gpu,
  9. windows 10 csrss.exe use dedicated gpu,
  10. nvidia high gpu usage,
  11. gpu high usage dwm.exe,