Windows 10: High GPU Usage of Desktop Window Manager dwm.exe and Client Server Runtime Process csrss.exe

Discus and support High GPU Usage of Desktop Window Manager dwm.exe and Client Server Runtime Process csrss.exe in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello there, Just today I downloaded a new game. Eager to try it, I started the game, only to be met with horrid graphical settings. The game showed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AlisAquilae, May 12, 2020.

1. High GPU Usage of Desktop Window Manager dwm.exe and Client Server Runtime Process csrss.exe

Hello there,

Just today I downloaded a new game. Eager to try it, I started the game, only to be met with horrid graphical settings. The game showed me I lost approximately a quarter of my GPU memory to "other apps". After having checked windows task manager, I found the two culprits, namely dwm.exe and csrss.exe. The former taking more memory than the other, they respectively took approximately 900 mb and 150 mb worth of GPU memory space, effectively rendering me unable to play my game.

This issue has only occurred today, and I haven't had anything like it in the past. After a few google searches I found my problem to be far from unique. However, in the sea of forum posts, cross-references, scuffed workarounds and generally vague or inaccurate information, I was unable to find a fix.

Some contextual information. I am running Windows 10 version 1909 build 18363.836 updated it today in order to try and fix te problem. My pc has a Nvidia Geforce 970, of which I installed the most recent drivers today again, to try and find a fix. I don't have GeForce Experience installed.

What's interesting is that I've noticed that the amount of memory lost to these two programs increases based on the GPU-memory required to run a program. When I restart my pc, the amount of memory lost is 200mb/50mb. When I open my settings, this increases to 300mb/75mb. When I open chrome, this increases to 500mb/100mb. And when I run my game Red Dead Redemption 2, this increases to the amount previously mentioned. Closing the programs doesn't decrease the amount of memory used by dwm.exe and csrss.exe - this stays fixed at the highest amount of memory it has been that session. Only restarting my pc resets this process not even restarting my gpu using windows+ctrl+shift+b

If anyone's got a possible solution, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance!

:)

AlisAquilae, May 12, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

csrss and dwm processes High GPU Usage causing stutterings

High GPU usage - csrss.exe - Resolved Malware Removal Logs - Malwarebytes Forums
    This example backs up what @Faith said above. So do do that first.

If clean:
    Please have a look at your Update History. Is there anything there- including drivers at the bottom- that was updated just before this started happening?

Have you made any changes- installed anything- that might be responsible?

Do you have any System Restore points created before this started happening?
    Or disk images? (I constantly urge users to use this routinely, as do many here - e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for disk image sets)

Desktop Window Manager - Microsoft Community

- a long thread- see if there's anything helpful there.

Sudden high GPU usage by client server runtime process makes huge fps - Microsoft Community
    - try a clean boot. Is there any change?

note forum rules say 'useless one liners' and thread bumping are not allowed. I can understand your enthusiasm to resolve this.

dalchina, May 12, 2020
  3. Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage in Windows 10

Hey everyone,

i got the same Problem since two days. My PC configuration is a Gigabyte 2070 Super 8GB and a Ryzen 7 3700X and ive got every update from Windows and Geforce experience. I am wondering why Windows doesnt said anything to this Problem after seeing this thread
    being 20 Pages Long. Does anybody tried These Solutions
    https://appuals.com/fix-desktop-window-manager-high-cpu-usage-dwm-exe/
    ?

First i thought the cause is Google Chrome because it made high gpu and Volt usage too but after an uninstall the Problem was still there.

Is there any Suggestion how to solve the Problem. If this link is working please tell me.

Supergamerbro28, May 12, 2020
  4. High GPU Usage of Desktop Window Manager dwm.exe and Client Server Runtime Process csrss.exe

High GPU Usage By Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager When Scrolling Or Other Mouse Movements

I am hearing this issue first time . after reading your issues , I checked in my windows , that client server runtime process not there , even my gpu usage is 1%.

Try to disable that process (called service ) is registry

RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS, May 12, 2020
Thema:

High GPU Usage of Desktop Window Manager dwm.exe and Client Server Runtime Process csrss.exe

1. High GPU Usage of Desktop Window Manager dwm.exe and Client Server Runtime Process csrss.exe - Similar Threads - High GPU Usage

2. High GPU usage from Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High GPU usage from Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager: When leaving everything idle the GPU usage sits at 0% and when I move my mouse it can get up to 17% but when I scroll on a webpage it shoots all the way up to 80% to 100%. I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 and have downloaded updates and drivers. I also upgraded my...
  3. High GPU usage from Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High GPU usage from Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager: When leaving everything idle the GPU usage sits at 0% and when I move my mouse it can get up to 17% but when I scroll on a webpage it shoots all the way up to 80% to 100%. I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 and have downloaded updates and drivers. I also upgraded my...
  4. High GPU usage from Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. High GPU Usage By Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager When Scrolling...

High GPU Usage By Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager When Scrolling...: I have ROG Strix GL503GE with hardware:-Intel 8th Gan i7-8750H v31.0.15.2849Nvidia GeForce GTX-1050 Ti v528.4916GB RAMWindows 10 64-bit v19044.2604Since I update windows, and graphics driver. the Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager usage of GPU is high...
  6. Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage: hey guys I installed windows on my pc recently and i got background Processes Like Client Server Runtime and Desktop Window Manager Started Using Around 5 - 10% Of My GPU 3D and When Scrolling It Goes Over To 40 - 50 % Usage and same issue when I'm watching YouTube or...
  7. Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage: hey guys I installed windows on my pc recently and i got background Processes Like Client Server Runtime and Desktop Window Manager Started Using Around 5 - 10% Of My GPU 3D and When Scrolling It Goes Over To 40 - 50 % Usage and same issue when I'm watching YouTube or...
  8. Client Server Runtime Process and Desktop Window Manager High GPU Usage

9. High GPU Usage of Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) and Client Server Runtime Process...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High GPU Usage of Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) and Client Server Runtime Process...: Hi everyone! I recently downloaded a new game, but as I wanted to play said game I noticed my performance being lower than normal. I checked and found out that dwm.exe and csrss.exe at times claimed 1.2 gb of GPU-memory for themselved, rendering me unable to play my game...
  10. csrss and dwm processes High GPU Usage causing stutterings

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    csrss and dwm processes High GPU Usage causing stutterings: Today a problem started randomly. My desktop is stuttering, Youtube, anything. But when i disable AMD Radeon display on Device Manager, it stopps the stuttering, i already tried to reinstall graphic drivers, but any version i install, keeps the stutterings. So the only option...