Windows 10: High HDD usage by Windows Defender

Discus and support High HDD usage by Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello,After 5 - 10 minutes I turned on my laptop, System ntoskrnl.exe is using high HDD 80 - 120 MB/s .Then, I checked in Resource Monitor, I found out... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Sithu Lwin, May 20, 2022.

1. High HDD usage by Windows Defender

Hello,After 5 - 10 minutes I turned on my laptop, System ntoskrnl.exe is using high HDD 80 - 120 MB/s .Then, I checked in Resource Monitor, I found out that MpWppTracing-20220520-203523-00000003-ffffffff.bin in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Supporthad been continuously accessed by the System. Write 120 MB/sI assumed that Windows Defender was using high HDD resources. After that, I installed Avast Antivirus to disable Windows Defender. The problem was OK. It turned back to normal usage.But when I uninstall Avast and using Windows Defender again, the same problem pops up agai

:)

Sithu Lwin, May 20, 2022
  2. AUTiger1 Win User

High Disk Usage

Hi all, I'm struggling with finding things to fix my high disk usage. I've spent many months searching the internet and doing all the listed suggestions like disabling SuperFetch, Windows Defender, Updating drivers, ect. and still I'm stuck with a high disk usage. Here's a screen shot I took immediately following a restart and opening up to a new Firefox window.

High HDD usage by Windows Defender [​IMG]

I have noticed Service Host: Local System takes up quite a bit of disk usage and that if I close it and let it open back up all by itself then it immediately makes my disk usage drop into a much more manageable 40-60% usage range. But eventually after a while it maxes out again and I have to close it out again. It's an annoying step just to be able to use my computer.

Also, I have noticed that after working with my mom's computer today, that her disk usage when no programs are running is only like 5%. Makes me wonder why my computer can have no programs running but my disk usage never drops below 30% and sits in the 40-60% range with spikes up over 75%.

I honestly don't know enough about computers to do much more than I already have without causing major issues. BTW, just a couple weeks ago I had to do a Windows reinstall, not a complete reinstall, just the basic reinstall they allow you to do on Windows 10 where you still keep all your personal files. Ever since that a lot of times when I try to open a process like Run or Task Manager I'll get an error message that it can't open and then I do it again and it will open the second time.

Here's a screenshot of my computer information so you can see what I'm working with here.

High HDD usage by Windows Defender [​IMG]

AUTiger1, May 20, 2022
  3. RaduDimov Win User
    Windows 10 High HDD usage

Hello,

I have a problem with the Disk high usage rate(About 99% each time I start or wake the laptop from sleep).

The problem-makes is the program called Service host:Local System(network retricted)(9) or (10) it depends, which bumps-up the HDD usage to about 99 or 100 making the system a bit unusable. Do you have any solution for this? High HDD usage by Windows Defender :D

RaduDimov, May 20, 2022
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

High HDD usage by Windows Defender

High CPU usage from Windows Defender

Thanks. That makes sense. ProgramData is used to store updates to the Windows Defender Antimalware Platform.

Thanks. Of course Windows Defender is still a very good AV. Need to be polished a little though, specially for us, gamers.

eLPuSHeR, May 20, 2022
Thema:

High HDD usage by Windows Defender

1. High HDD usage by Windows Defender - Similar Threads - High HDD usage

2. Hdd usage very high

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hdd usage very high: How to solve this guys? I’ve tried disabling sys main and windows search but still it hasn’t changed please helpme https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-usage-very-high/4999d655-fdb1-42b4-b7a4-c6d91599250e
  3. Hdd usage very high

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hdd usage very high: How to solve this guys? I’ve tried disabling sys main and windows search but still it hasn’t changed please helpme https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-usage-very-high/4999d655-fdb1-42b4-b7a4-c6d91599250e
  4. Hdd usage very high

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. high disk/HDD usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    high disk/HDD usage: My computer has been very slow and keeps freezing, the disk usage on the processes tab of task manager gets stuck at 50% and the HDD on the processes tab gets stuck at 100% from start up. I have updated windows and drivers, scanned for viruses, cleared virtual memory and...
  6. high disk/HDD usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    high disk/HDD usage: My computer has been very slow and keeps freezing, the disk usage on the processes tab of task manager gets stuck at 50% and the HDD on the processes tab gets stuck at 100% from start up. I have updated windows and drivers, scanned for viruses, cleared virtual memory and...
  7. high disk/HDD usage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. High HDD usage at startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High HDD usage at startup: I had this problem previously and the high usage would never fix itself but I got a new HDD with a higher RPM and now I don't get high HDD usage all the time but for a few minutes at startup. I disabled many services that people were saying cause problems like "Sysmain" and...
  9. High Usage Memory Windows Defender

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High Usage Memory Windows Defender: Anyone know why my Antimalware Service Executable is high memory usage ? The idle is 300MB+ and if i use the pc it become 400 - 500MB, My windows version is 1909 and always update the windows defender [ATTACH]...
  10. Windows Defender high network usage

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender high network usage: Hello, I observed Windows Defender (MsMpEng.exe) is using lot of network resources for long time. I can't stop the service or kill the process even with admin right on elevated PowerShell.. Interestingly I don't see the process in the list of netstat -ab - looks...