Windows 10: High Memory usage by Desktop Window Manager on Windows 11

Discus and support High Memory usage by Desktop Window Manager on Windows 11 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi,I recently noticed that the Desktop Window Manager is using high memory at some point, even when I have literally nothing open except the task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jobin Paul Varghese, Oct 9, 2021.

1. High Memory usage by Desktop Window Manager on Windows 11

Hi,I recently noticed that the Desktop Window Manager is using high memory at some point, even when I have literally nothing open except the task manager. It hasn't caused any crashes so far, but it's just a matter of time in that kind of memory usage and I'm worried it will lead to something I won't be able to fix.I did the usual windows updates, virus scan, graphics driver check, All drivers update, sfc /scan, etc. and nothing helped. Any advice that doesn't involve altering my laptop internals or resetting will be greatly appreciated!Laptop model: Dell G5 5590SPECSProcessor IntelR Core

:)

Jobin Paul Varghese, Oct 9, 2021

2. Lenovo desktop high memory usage

Hi all,

I have a Lenovo windows 10 Desptop-JAG8I5P, version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1165). The installed physical memory (RAM) is 4GB and total physical memory is 3.84GB. The main use of the computer is pycharm and jupyter for coding, and chrome usage (looking up scripts, youtube, but not much else from that). I'm aware that 4GB isn't necessarily high, but I plan to use this computer for the duration of my university course. I've included a screenshot of the task manager, before starting chrome (with 57% of the memory, and 16% of the CPU being used), and after, where chrome is being used (with 62% of the memory, and 68% of the CPU being used).

High Memory usage by Desktop Window Manager on Windows 11 [​IMG]

Is there any way to mitigate such high usage? I've tried Microsoft Edge, Firefox, but it's about the same as chrome, in terms of memory and CPU usage. I've included a screenshot of the Resource Monitor, showing 29% of CPU usage with 104% maximum frequency, and perfmon.exe, avguard.exe, chrome.exe, are the top items, but I'm unsure if this is the reason for the high memory usage? It shows pycharm being 80.9% of the CPU usage, which causes the CPU usage to hit 100% overall. Is my desktop just now strong enough to run these programs?

Any help would be more than appreciated!

LittleNapCoffee, Oct 9, 2021
  3. Desktop Windows Manager High Memory Usage

Hi Jay,

This high memory usage could have happened due to multiple application running. If Windows 10 has features that are not working properly, we suggest that you run the System File Checker tool and the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool to scan
    and correct any issues. System File Checker (SFC) is a built-in tool in the operating system. SFC checks for system file corruption. Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is a command-line tool that can be used to service a Windows image or to prepare
    a Windows Preinstallation Environment image.

Kindly follow the steps in this article posted by
    ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP)
    to perform SFC and DISM:
    System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot.

Update us with the result so we can further assist you.

Anthony Gal, Oct 9, 2021
  4. brain829 Win User

High Memory usage by Desktop Window Manager on Windows 11

Desktop Windows Manager high GPU usage persists

Several individuals have reported Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) using unrealistic amounts of GPU for video playback, gaming, or any high graphics intensive activity. Here is a list of just a few of the many requests for support on this issue:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

It has been a few years now that this problem has been reported, are there any accepted fixes. From what I gather, even those individuals with serious graphics cards are vulnerable to dwm.exe dominating their available GPU. I myself report this issue, even
    on games and design software with the settings at a minimum. For example, Java will be using ~45% of the available GPU, whereas dwm.exe takes up the remaining ~55%. As stated previously, the result is the entire system halting, not just the game. The mouse
    will take a few seconds to stutter across the screen, and task manager will take 5+ seconds to even appear.

There have been many suggestions and no results. Is that Microsoft's consensus then? Thank you ahead of time.

brain829, Oct 9, 2021
Thema:

High Memory usage by Desktop Window Manager on Windows 11

1. High Memory usage by Desktop Window Manager on Windows 11 - Similar Threads - High Memory usage

2. High memory usage Desktop Windows Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High memory usage Desktop Windows Manager: Hi, I am posting this because I found that my Desktop Windows Manager is using more memory than normal, I tried the solutions I have found on internet and windows forum but don't seems to work. I currently have 2 sticks 16gb of RAM so 32gb of ram and I have seen that I should...
  3. Desktop window manager high memory usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop window manager high memory usage: I am on Windows 10 and Desktop window manager is making high use of memory. How I can control it? I am on version 20h2 if that matters. After restarting PC it will become normal 30-40MB usage. But after one more restart it again start consuming high memory around 600 or...
  4. Desktop Window Manager High Memory Usage on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Window Manager High Memory Usage on Windows 11: Hello there,While I was Gaming I noticed that my fps was below 150 which never happens I got a bit tensed thinking there might be a issue with the hardware , but later when I noticed at the task manager ,DESKTOP WINDOW MANAGER had a very high memory usage. I tried scanning...
  5. Desktop Window Manager High Memory Usage on Windows 11

Desktop Window Manager High Memory Usage on Windows 11: Hello there,While I was Gaming I noticed that my fps was below 150 which never happens I got a bit tensed thinking there might be a issue with the hardware , but later when I noticed at the task manager ,DESKTOP WINDOW MANAGER had a very high memory usage. I tried scanning...
  6. High Memory usage by Desktop Window Manager on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High Memory usage by Desktop Window Manager on Windows 11: Hi,I recently noticed that the Desktop Window Manager is using high memory at some point, even when I have literally nothing open except the task manager. It hasn't caused any crashes so far, but it's just a matter of time in that kind of memory usage and I'm worried it will...
  7. High Memory usage by Desktop Window Manager on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High Memory usage by Desktop Window Manager on Windows 11: Hi,I recently noticed that the Desktop Window Manager is using high memory at some point, even when I have literally nothing open except the task manager. It hasn't caused any crashes so far, but it's just a matter of time in that kind of memory usage and I'm worried it will...
  8. High Memory usage by Desktop Window Manager on Windows 11

9. Desktop Window Manager - High Memory Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Window Manager - High Memory Usage: Memory usage of Desktop Window Manager increases over time, irrespective of the task. It consumes memory as high as 7GB.I have tried a lot of solutions nothing works. It would be great if someone could provide a working solution for that.Thanks...
  10. Desktop Window Manager High Memory Usage.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Window Manager High Memory Usage.: Desktop Windows Manager dwm.exe us using high memory sometimes it uses 1.5GB RAM. I have looked for many solutions but not worked for me. I have used these methods to fix memory usage. i have updated my graphics driver i have updated windows and windows apps i have closed...