Windows 10: High memory usage from my laptop.

Discus and support High memory usage from my laptop. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Edge and and app called Antimalware service are using a lot of memory. I know that the antimalware is from Microsoft defender but it takes up too much... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Owen_782, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Owen_782 Win User

High memory usage from my laptop.

Edge and and app called Antimalware service are using a lot of memory. I know that the antimalware is from Microsoft defender but it takes up too much memory. My laptop runs slow and sometimes Edge freezes. Any way I can make that stop?

:)

Owen_782, Apr 24, 2024

2. System and compressed memory high disk usage

Hi Robert,

As you are facing issues with high system and compressed memory on your device we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What is the complete error message with respect to the memory when you are trying to access games?

This issue might have occurred due to applications or services running at the startup on the computer. Bad sectors on the hard drive or outdated and incompatible drivers might also cause such issues.

I suggest you to refer to the below post check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, I recommend you to try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Amarjeet Paul
    and check if it helps.

System and compressed memory high disk usage during file
    copy

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 25, 2024
  3. Help with high memory usage while idle and nothing open

Hello MastrKage,

High RAM usage when your PC is idle can be frustrating. Let’s explore some potential solutions to address this issue:

1. Check for Resource-Intensive Processes:
      • Open the Task Manager (you can do this by right-clicking the taskbar and selecting “Task Manager”).
      • Look for any processes that are consuming a significant amount of memory even when your PC is idle.
      • If you find any resource-intensive processes, consider investigating further or terminating them.
    2. Disable Startup Programs:
      • Some applications automatically start when your PC boots up, consuming memory even when idle.
      • To manage startup programs:
        • Press Win + R, type “msconfig”, and hit Enter.
        • Go to the “Startup” tab and uncheck unnecessary programs.
        • Click “Apply” and “OK”, then restart your PC.
    3. Check for Malware or Unwanted Software:
      • Malware or unwanted background processes can cause high RAM usage.
      • Run a full system scan using your preferred antivirus software to ensure your system is clean.
    4. Disable Tips and Suggestions (Windows 11/10):
      • Windows provides tips and suggestions that can consume memory.
      • To disable them:
        • Open Settings.
        • Go to System > Notifications.
        • Turn off "Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows."
    5. Monitor RAM Usage Over Time:
      • Use tools like Resource Monitor or RAMMap to track memory usage patterns.
      • Observe if there are any spikes or consistent high usage during idle periods.
    6. Update Drivers and Windows:
      • Outdated drivers or an outdated Windows version can lead to memory issues.
      • Ensure your drivers (especially graphics and chipset drivers) are up to date.
      • Install any pending Windows updates.
    Remember that some RAM usage during idle is normal, but if it consistently exceeds a certain threshold (e.g., more than 30% or 80-90% as reported by some users), it’s worth investigating further. Hopefully, these steps will help optimize your RAM usage and improve overall system performance! ️

Hope this helps,

Fathia A

Fathia Abukar, Apr 25, 2024
  4. khhc Win User

High Memory Usage

Dear All,

I always have High Memory Usage on my laptop as it is idling.

Please advise on how do I troubleshoot the high memory usage in order to resolve it?

Please advise whether I should be getting more RAM instead?

Thema:

1. High memory usage from my laptop. - Similar Threads - High memory usage

2. High memory usage from my laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High memory usage from my laptop.: Edge and and app called Antimalware service are using a lot of memory. I know that the antimalware is from Microsoft defender but it takes up too much memory. My laptop runs slow and sometimes Edge freezes. Any way I can make that stop?...
  3. High memory usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High memory usage: So, when I startup my 8gb ram laptop, the idle usage is at 60%. When I play video games, its at 96% when I usually had only 80%. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-memory-usage/d8973f8f-f580-44f2-906b-d27a6a165923
  4. High memory usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High memory usage: So, when I startup my 8gb ram laptop, the idle usage is at 60%. When I play video games, its at 96% when I usually had only 80%. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-memory-usage/d8973f8f-f580-44f2-906b-d27a6a165923
  5. high memory usage

high memory usage: my win 10 laptop is having 1 tb hdd i3 processor 4 gb ram and it is just 6 months old but still it always have 70 % of memory filled how do i fix that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-memory-usage/a41d323d-8ce1-4576-9263-1463e9ab38c9
  6. High memory usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High memory usage: [ATTACH] Hi guys, does anyone know why my RAM usage is that high? It should be around 5-10% usage, but there's not. https://preview.redd.it/gnzfceilfoa61.png?width=825&format=png&auto=webp&s=369518cf957cbd3592609378046ed41a69b3b0cc...
  7. High Memory Usage.

High Memory Usage.: Hello, I recently faced issues with memory in my Dell Inspiron 5559. I am having high memory usage error. It uses 80% memory already. Can anyone help me ASAP? Regards, Ayan. please call me Ayan and sorry for my bad english...
  8. High memory usage

High memory usage: Since a while now my computer's fan (I cleaned them recently) are doing a lot of noise and about 4,5 GB just diseappear into nothingness. It count as used but doesn't appear on the task manager. I tried restarting my computer multiple times and uninstalled everything yet...
  9. High memory usage

High memory usage: Apparently this is also using memory in my graphics card because I get a message in games even on very low graphics that I'm using more than my graphics card's available memory. I've got 16GB Ram and Nvidia 1050 Ti so this shouldn't be a problem. https://imgur.com/a/zQtlWqM...
  10. High memory usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High memory usage: Hello everyone. I used win 7 before win 10 and now I have an issue with memory. For instance, playing games like nba2k15 my computer used about 2.6-2.8 GB of 4 GB but not more than 3 GB in win 7. Now it uses almost all 4 GB and of course it lags. So, does anybody has similar...