Windows 10: High power usage in sleep mode

Discus and support High power usage in sleep mode in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; In W10 when I leave my laptop in sleep mode overnight, it uses about 10% of battery life. In windows 7 it was way less, to the point that it wasn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MightyMauz, Feb 13, 2016.

1. High power usage in sleep mode

In W10 when I leave my laptop in sleep mode overnight, it uses about 10% of battery life. In windows 7 it was way less, to the point that it wasn't even noticeable.

Any idea where I should start looking?

I have a Thinkpad X220T

:)

MightyMauz, Feb 13, 2016
  2. anngail Win User

PC will go to sleep even though the Power settings are set to Never in Windows 10.

Okay..first of all, I did look at my power settings and they were correct (go to sleep "never"). And no updates or changes had occurred on my computer. I did your Method 1 and did the troubleshooting and found that it had corrected itself to a default
    setting where it can't sleep for too long...here is what it looks like..not sure how to correct this !

Power

L: Publisher details

Issues found

L: Time before computer goes to sleep is too long

Time before computer goes to sleep is too long
    The period of time before your computer enters sleep mode is longer than the default setting, and might affect power usage.

Fixed

Restore the default sleep setting for the computer

Completed

Potential issues that were checked

L: Time before display dims is too long

Time before display dims is too long
    The period of time before a display dims is longer than the default setting, and might affect power usage.

Issue not present

L: Time before hard disk goes to sleep is too long

Time before hard disk goes to sleep is too long
    The period of time before a hard disk enters sleep mode is longer than the default setting, and might affect power usage.

Issue not present

L: Time before display goes to sleep is too long

Time before display goes to sleep is too long
    The period of time before a display turns off is longer than the default setting, and might affect power usage.

Issue not present

L: Power plan set to High Performance

Power plan set to High Performance
    High Performance uses additional power and might prevent the computer from entering sleep mode.

Issue not present

anngail, Feb 13, 2016
  3. iguarna Win User
    Black screen after turning back on from Sleep

Hello, thank you for your answer.

I have checked and my computer seems to be running with the latest updates.

The Troubleshooter doesn't seem to be fixing anything important:

Power

Publisher details

Issues found

The period of time before a display turns off is longer than the default setting, and might affect power usage.

Fixed

Restore the default sleep setting for the display

Completed

The period of time before your computer enters sleep mode is longer than the default setting, and might affect power usage.

Fixed

Completed

Display brightness setting is too high

The brightness setting for the display is higher than the default setting.

Fixed

Decrease the display brightness

Completed

The period of time before a display dims is longer than the default setting, and might affect power usage.

Issue not present

The period of time before a hard disk enters sleep mode is longer than the default setting, and might affect power usage.

Issue not present

High Performance uses additional power and might prevent the computer from entering sleep mode.

Issue not present

Minimum processor state is set too high

When this value is set higher than the default setting, the processor uses additional power.

Issue not present

Screen saver is enabled

Screen saver is enabled
    Using a screen saver instead of having the display go to sleep uses more power.

Issue not present

USB Selective Suspend is disabled

USB Selective Suspend allows the hub driver to suspend an individual port without affecting the operation of the other ports on the hub. This feature is useful for reducing power usage.

Issue not present

Wireless adapter is not optimized for power saving

Wireless adapter setting uses additional battery power.

Issue not present

Issues found

Detection details

Fixed

Restore the default sleep setting for the display

Completed

Restoring the timeout setting to the recommended value will help reduce power used by the display.

Display Idle Timeout Adjustment

Original AC Setting:

New AC Setting:

Original DC Setting:

New DC Setting:

Fixed

Completed

Restoring the timeout setting to the recommended value will help reduce power used by the computer.

Idle Sleep Setting Adjustment

Original AC Setting:

New AC Setting:

Original DC Setting:

New DC Setting:

Fixed

The brightness setting for the display is higher than the default setting.

Decrease the display brightness

Completed

Reducing the display brightness will help reduce power usage.

Screen Brightness Adjustment

Original DC Setting:

New DC Setting:

Detection details

Issue not present

Issue not present

Issue not present

Issue not present

When this value is set higher than the default setting, the processor uses additional power.

Screen saver is enabled

Issue not present

Using a screen saver instead of having the display go to sleep uses more power.

Issue not present

USB Selective Suspend allows the hub driver to suspend an individual port without affecting the operation of the other ports on the hub. This feature is useful for reducing power usage.

Issue not present

Wireless adapter setting uses additional battery power.

Detection details

Collection information

Computer Name:
    DESKTOP-F95G79G

Windows Version:

Architecture:

x64

Time:

Friday, February 26, 2016 9:47:06 AM

Publisher details

Power

Find and fix problems with your computer's power settings to conserve power and extend battery life.

Package Version:

Publisher:

Microsoft Windows

Power

Find and fix problems with your computer's power settings to conserve power and extend battery life.

Package Version:

Publisher:

Microsoft Corporation

iguarna, Feb 13, 2016
  4. High power usage in sleep mode

Here are a few things that I have checked myself:

- I have the latest bios firmware installed
    - I don't have an UEFI installation (but also didn't have this for Win7)
    - If I run powercfg -sleepstudy I get the following message:"S0 Low Power Idle is not supported on this machine. Cannot run tool."

What else can I check?

MightyMauz, Feb 21, 2016
  5. philc43 Win User
    Can you check in event viewer to confirm that your laptop stays asleep all through the night? Look for any entries that indicate it may have been active during the night. I wonder if it is waking up and performing some sort of maintenance and then going to sleep again.

philc43, Feb 21, 2016
  6. Iran the event viewer in admin mode and there are no entries system orapplication entries during the night. They end nicely at night when I turn itoff and start in the morning when I turn the laptop on again.

MightyMauz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

High power usage in sleep mode

1. High power usage in sleep mode - Similar Threads - High power usage

2. System High Power Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System High Power Usage: Since, upgrading to Windows 11 I've constantly encountered many bugs and errors. I should understand that being a newest window OS I have to consider the problems but some led me to reset my device twice but this bug in particular is actually affecting my device for quite a...
  3. high cpu and power usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    high cpu and power usage: Hello, from tomorrow after upgrading sata ssd, I install windows in my new ssd and then start my laptop then i saw that my laptop was using system and system interrupts service continuosly. It's not ending, I also wait 6hrs but it's not ending. When i was using hdd my lower...
  4. Very High Power Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very High Power Usage: I hope Microsoft can help and remedy this. It is very frustrating.My Dell OptiPlex 7060 desktop computer and its specs aren't bad: Core i7 - ram 16 - gt 730 nvidia card, but my system lags a lot when I start Photoshop. I checked the task manager and it showed me that the CPU...
  5. Very High Power Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very High Power Usage: I hope Microsoft can help and remedy this. It is very frustrating.My Dell OptiPlex 7060 desktop computer and its specs aren't bad: Core i7 - ram 16 - gt 730 nvidia card, but my system lags a lot when I start Photoshop. I checked the task manager and it showed me that the CPU...
  6. Very High Power Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Very High Power Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very High Power Usage: Several people have asked the same question or variant that I am asking below and it never really gets answered completely or resolved and then the threads are locked so no one can ask for more clarification or help. I wish Microsoft would help and address this. It is very...
  8. High Power Usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High Power Usage: Does someone know why this ICEpower Service has such a high power usage? I checked it with Security Task Manager, so it can't be a virus (probably?) I already researched on the web, but I didn't find anything useful. Here is a screenshot Thanks in advance submitted by...
  9. Very high power usage

Very high power usage: I've just installed a new motherboard with my new 2070s and 3800x, but when i play a game or sometimes just being in chrome makes power usage very high in task manager. Is this something i should look into? i have an 650W PSU. https://i.imgur.com/fFPfATJ.png submitted by...
  10. High Power usage/ Power usage Trend

High Power usage/ Power usage Trend: Ive just recently realise that task manager shows some of my applications running at High Power Usage/Trend, should this worry me? I had Destiny 2 downloading this morning on Steam and Steam client was reading between "Moderate to High" Also i make music using Ableton and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. power usage hight

2. windows 10 high usage during sleep

3. windows disc usage high in sleep mode

4. high power usage 1ce8f5