Windows 10: High RAM usage

Discus and support High RAM usage in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am not sure why windows is taking 6.4GB of memory I have only chrome running with four tabs opened. [img] [img] [img] 51057 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by vikramchhibber, May 21, 2016.

1. High RAM usage

I am not sure why windows is taking 6.4GB of memory I have only chrome running with four tabs opened.

High RAM usage [​IMG]

High RAM usage [​IMG]

High RAM usage [​IMG]

:)

vikramchhibber, May 21, 2016

2. High Ram usage

This is not necessarily a problem. Any RAM that is unused is wasted RAM. Any data or programs loaded into RAM will tend to stay there to be available if required again. This RAM can be reused if needed.

A problem only occurs if you run out of RAM, and 8GB is plenty for home use.

Alan Russell, May 21, 2016
  3. High Ram usage

Seems like a common problem... I did look on all of the other threads, but did not manage to fix my problem.

I did a clean install of windows 10 pro and saw that on idle my computer uses about 30% RAM... I have an 8 GB of RAM... and faced this issue before( that is why I performed the clean install in first place). I tried googling it for hours, did not find any
    solution to my problem.

thank you.

Hacktivator, May 21, 2016
  4. High RAM usage

Wow. That's a lot of ram.
    In one of your screenshots, I can see that you have McaFee. See if you can turn on gaming mode on it, which will reduce RAM.
    If that doesn't work out with you, see what's REALLY taking your ram. Go to where you were in the second screenshot, and make task manager arrange the tasks from largest to smallest (If you don't have that enabled)
    And please send a screenshot of what you see. *Smile
    I hope I help.

AbAppletic, May 21, 2016
  5. Did enabled gaming mode but that had no effect.
    The previous memory usage screen shot was sorted by memory usage from high to low.

vikramchhibber, May 21, 2016
  6. I tried running windows with 4GB and also 8 GB and it looks like the more RAM I have, the more memory it uses.
    For 4 GB, it was running well under 2 GB.

vikramchhibber, May 22, 2016
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    That is to be expected.

Memory usage in any modern operating system is highly dynamic. Usage will depend on what processes are running, what they were doing previously in the session, how much memory you have, and more. This is far more complex than might seem apparent. Within reasonable limits, the more RAM you have, the more RAM will be used. This is a good thing. Memory is wasted unlessit is being used.

It would be useful to see a screenshot of Task Manager - Details tab showing and sorted by the "Working set (memory)" column. You will need to add this column as it is not shown by default. The Processes tab does not show enough information for diagnostic purposes.

LMiller7, May 22, 2016
  8. High RAM usage

Thanks for this explanation. Doesn't seems to be this is an issue.

vikramchhibber, May 22, 2016
  9. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    How do you set Task Manager to arrange tasks from largest to smallest (in Processes tab), I can't see/find any setting that does this?

And how do you add the "Working set (memory)" (+ what help does this give me)

I am having a similar problem – at least after I have put the computer on in the mornings.

I do exercises in the morning after getting up and switch on my computer to listen to Music over Jango, but the sound gets regularly distorted by something running in background with a CPU of up to 95%.

I have Task Manager open to try and find the culprit, but I am either too late, or can’t scroll the Task manager due to it being blocked by the high use, so have been unable to find what is causing the problem. The high CPU use is quite brief, but keep recurring for a while – at least during that exercise/Jang music period and is no fun, the sound is so distorted - and I have to keep stopping my exercising to try and find the problem.

I suspect it is something that gets checked after starting computer in mornings (updates/etc) but what exactly?

I need an easy way to see (even/especially after the event) what is using so much CPU.

tried gaming mode - but it did not help

thanks

10. LMiller7 Win User
    @xyz

You need to create your own thread for your problem. Your problem appears to be quite different and comments here are probably not relevant to your situation. Attempting to help multiple individuals in the same thread causes confusion for all involved. I will not comment further in this thread.

LMiller7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

High RAM usage

1. High RAM usage - Similar Threads - High RAM usage

2. High RAM Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High RAM Usage: Hi, I am facing problems with the system memory, even being 8GB the RAM usage at idle is 55%Meaning any emulator, or heavy game literally brings it to 99%, CANT EVEN IMAGINE 99%!...
  3. High Ram Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High Ram Usage: Hi there, So this is the problem, From the time I bought this brand new IdeaPad Flex 5 itlo5 14" laptop, there has always been high ram usage when I look in task manager. The ram usage has always been around 80%. I have tried to clean install windows which removes all...
  4. High ram usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High ram usage: I recently shifted from from using linux to windows and out of 8 gigs of ram 6.2 gigs is used just with 4 tabs of edge and 2 light weight apps open. The cpu temp is also averaging about 55-60 degree C, although cpu consumption is not high . Is this normal for windows 10(Last...
  5. High ram usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High ram usage: Hello, I noticed that my pc has high ram usage recently, is it normal? My pc specs: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-ram-usage/dc11e700-73bc-4ebc-8730-b280bb72c5b2
  6. High ram usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High ram usage: Hello, I noticed that my pc has high ram usage recently, is it normal? My pc specs: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-ram-usage/dc11e700-73bc-4ebc-8730-b280bb72c5b2
  7. High usage in RAM

High usage in RAM: Hello sir/ma'am, From last 10 days, I am facing the issue regarding RAM deficiency. Inspite of having 12Gi RAM in my Laptop, it uses 10.2Gi RAM. It is the case when after restarting my Laptop, when even not a single process is running. Why so ?? Please help me to resolve the...
  8. high ram usage

high ram usage: [ATTACH][ATTACH] In a few days, ago my ram usage is very in a 2 or more app open. and I have 60% in no app I cant do work on my pc and' I have 4GB' ram please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-ram-usage/21f73eed-4478-4761-8517-56f96820e39b
  9. High RAM usage!

High RAM usage!: Me again! Im using Windows 10 and my laptop has 8 RAM. It is always on 80-90% usage? WHAT THE HELL? I see some posts about Memory Leak? Any tips for this to solve? P.S: I have another post about Windows Defender, so if you can help,ill be thankful! [ATTACH]...
  10. High RAM usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High RAM usage: My PC is going slow because of my RAM I have 8GB of RAM, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, Nvidia 1050 TI. When ever I load a game I get loads of frame drops. I have watched so many YouTube videos and looked at loads of comments to fix it but that doesn't work. My mates have tried as well,...