Windows 10: High read and write errors on brand new Seagate Barracuda

Discus and support High read and write errors on brand new Seagate Barracuda in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; hi all I have on older PC with : Win10 Prox64 i5 3470 @ 3.6Ghz x 4 cores 12Gb DDR3 RAM @ 1333Mhz Intel Q series 8 motherboard (replaced from a Gigabyte... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by snadge, Jun 15, 2020.

1. snadge Win User

High read and write errors on brand new Seagate Barracuda

hi all
    I have on older PC with :
    Win10 Prox64 i5 3470 @ 3.6Ghz x 4 cores
    12Gb DDR3 RAM @ 1333Mhz
    Intel Q series 8 motherboard
    (replaced from a Gigabyte H77M-D3H rev1.0 mobo with both BIOS's broke)
    1Gb Nvidia GTX 650 on PCIe x16 v 3.0
    250Gb Samsung EVO 860 SSD
    (no read or write errors - just a small amount of moving cells to new ones which normal for an MLC SSD that's 7 years old - wear levelling i believe its called)
    2TB Western Digital HDD with 64Mb cache (no read or write errors at all and is about 3-4 years old)
    2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD with 256Mb Cache (3-4 weeks old and a lot of read and write errors - also the drive is picked up as an SSD one some defrag or optimization apps due to the large 256Mb cache)
    should i return this drive?

thanks in advance as I've only days to return it, i opened a return then saved it in ebuyer

SSD smart in HD tue Pro

High read and write errors on brand new Seagate Barracuda [​IMG]

WD smart in HD Tune Pro

Seagate smart in HD Tune Pro

- - - Updated - - -

...now other defrag programs show lots of read/write errors ONLY on the new drive?, see if i can get some shots cos i thought HD tune would show what all other are but doesn't to seem to be, also the SSD's CRC has been there years

- - - Updated - - -

after advice elsewhere, im returning the drive for a WD black 5200rpm 64Mb, which has a 5yr GT compared to 2yr on my Seagate - says it all really, i understand a faster spindle speed would reduce life faster then 5400rpm...but not that much!

:)

snadge, Jun 15, 2020

2. Seagate BarraCuda vs. FireCuda SSHD for storage

Hi,

I want a 2.5" hard drive with more capacity and I found the Seagate hard drives.

But, which one is better for storage?, the price difference is little.

• Seagate 2TB BarraCuda 2.5" $86.99
    • Seagate 2TB FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2.5" $99.99
    I know that the FireCuda has 8GB built in but, does it matter for storage purposes?.

RodoGodo19, Jun 15, 2020
  3. Questius Win User
    Trying to initialize new Seagate Barracuda hard drive results in I/O device error.

I finished building a PC just around a couple weeks ago and have just been using a Samsung 230 GB SSD for storage up until this point - however it's come to where I need more storage. I purchased a 1TB Seagate Barracuda HD along with the SSD. I first loaded
    windows onto the SSD for a faster boot time, and set up general software settings and whatnot. However, when I looked at storage after setting up, I saw that my hard drive wasn't appearing. I followed instructions online and got into my disk management, however
    I was unable to initialize the disk - each time I tried to initialize (in GPT and MBR) the computer gave me the following error: "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

I have tried other methods for getting it to work such as using the Diskpart application automatically installed by Microsoft, but that isn't working either, as it just gives me the same error when I enter "create partition primary" as suggested by instructions
    online. I'm at a loss for what to do, because most of the suggestions people are giving involve having a partition already setup that has been somehow corrupted/damaged which results in the I/O device error, or they just don't give advice past initialization,
    as it's expected to work fine. I would greatly appreciate any advice or help with this issue.

SPECS: I'm running Windows 10 Home version, purchased from Microsoft store. The purchased hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda with 1TB of storage space. It's the type that uses a SATA cable. I have it hooked up (correctly I hope) to the motherboard and to
    the power supply. I'm using a 250 GB Samsung SSD for another storage space.

Questius, Jun 15, 2020
  4. menarez Win User

brand new lap top battery

I ran the troubleshoot power option and it said “Display brightness setting is too high”

but it’s a brand new laptop, i should think I could expect the most from it.

I haven’t tried the next steps uou have suggested yet.

menarez, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

1. High read and write errors on brand new Seagate Barracuda - Similar Threads - High read write

2. External Seagate Hard Drive 100% read and write, possible corruption?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Seagate Hard Drive 100% read and write, possible corruption?: Hello there, I am having trouble with my External Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive 1 TB Blue, it keeps freezing at times and when I check Task Manager, it shows 100% on the read and write. I suspect the drive maybe corrupted so I ran chkdsk. It ran for a couple of days...
  3. External Seagate Hard Drive 100% read and write, possible corruption?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Seagate Hard Drive 100% read and write, possible corruption?: Hello there, I am having trouble with my External Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive 1 TB Blue, it keeps freezing at times and when I check Task Manager, it shows 100% on the read and write. I suspect the drive maybe corrupted so I ran chkdsk. It ran for a couple of days...
  4. External Seagate Hard Drive 100% read and write, possible corruption?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Error reading or writing history file error!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error reading or writing history file error!!!: How to fix this? I am using Powershell 7. Thank you.Error reading or writing history file 'C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\PowerShell\PSReadLine\ConsoleHost_history.txt': Access to the path...
  6. Brand new Seagate 4TB inaccessible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brand new Seagate 4TB inaccessible: When I double click on my brand new 4TB Seagate external drive I get a message saying that the F drive is not accessible. Access is denied. It then also shows a message stating that 'This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.' Never knew...
  7. Seagate Barracuda drive beeping (worry or don't worry)

Seagate Barracuda drive beeping (worry or don't worry): As I was getting ready to move my setup to an SSD/HDD system, I got a new seagate barracuda 2 TB HDD (Model # ST2000DM008) from ebay (new, not open box used/seller refurbished, new), was slightly amazed at how small it was compated to my older ST2000DM006 model, but that's...
  8. Windows Restore to a Seagate 2TB BarraCuda HD not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows Restore to a Seagate 2TB BarraCuda HD not working: I have a Windows 10 system with 2 internal hard drives C: (250 GB) and E: (500 GB) that I use as my primary system. I also have a backup / mirror system in case I have an issue with the primary system, I use Windows Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore...
  9. How To Access Brand New Seagate Backup Plus

How To Access Brand New Seagate Backup Plus: Seagate sent me a free Backup Plus Portable Drive, but i cannot access it because it wants bitlocker password. This is a brand new computer and i don't have BitLocker even set up.... how the hell do i access this hard drive? Windows 10 47837
  10. Seagate Barracuda 3GB no longer being properly recognised, and beeping

Seagate Barracuda 3GB no longer being properly recognised, and beeping: I have a Seagate External HDD, srd00f2, that until yesterday was working perfectly. I can not think of anything that has changed, other than that the drive is no longer being recognised by Windows, and is beeping when connected. I have already tried a number of things, and...