Windows 10: High "System" CPU usage, then Windows stops responding

Discus and support High "System" CPU usage, then Windows stops responding in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi! I've been using my laptop for about 2 years now and I haven't had a single problem with it. However, a week ago I started noticing the fans... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BeltránPérez Trillo, Mar 19, 2020.

1. High "System" CPU usage, then Windows stops responding

Hi!

I've been using my laptop for about 2 years now and I haven't had a single problem with it. However, a week ago I started noticing the fans blowing more when idling or while doing low load work. I opened Task Manager to check what was going on and I saw a process called "System" on the top of the CPU usage chart. There are other processes like "Service Host: Remote Procedure Call" or "Antimalware Service Executable" that are using more CPU than usual too. If I keep waiting, there's a time when the taskbar and other Windows-related items freeze and then a small window appears saying something along the lines of Windows has crashed, do you want to keep waiting or close it? I don't have a screenshot of it, so I can't tell you exactly what it says. If I press the "Close Windows" button, the screen turns black and the only thing I see is the mouse which is still working. Also, the CPU usage graph in the task manager keeps fluctuating between 10% and 30% every two seconds or so, don't know if that helps. I've scanned the computer with both Defender and Kaspersky and none of them find anything.

By the way, I've heard running a Windows Performance Recorder test may help, sohere's mine.

Setup:

Asus GL502VM

Intel i7-7600HQ

16GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 1060

Thanks!

:)

BeltránPérez Trillo, Mar 19, 2020
  2. Rick.T Win User

Windows 10 Display Blinking with High CPU

After upgrade to Windows 10, experiencing flashing display and high CPU.

• At initial logon screen everything is normal - wall paper and logon screen display with no blinking
    • After logon, fan starts as CPU usage spikes, cursor is accompanied by the spinning blue circle
    • touchscreen does not respond to swipe to access Recovery/Safe mode for reboot
    • able to get to Task Manager and Perfmon to see high CPU usage and explorer.exe is suspended
    looking for suggestions on how to either fix or roll back to Windows 8.1

Rick.T, Mar 19, 2020
  3. zinou Win User
    'System' process high CPU usage

Hi,

you can record a trace using Windows Performance Recorder so that we can take a look at the call stacks to see what the system process is doing;

1. Open a command line as an Administrator;
    2. Type the following command in the command line Windows: cd %programfiles(x86)%\Windows Kits\10\Windows Performance Toolkit
    3. When you notice a high CPU usage, type this command "wpr -start generalprofile -start CPU"; this will start trace recording.
    4. Let WPR record a trace for about 1 minute.
    5. Then type this command to stop trace recording "wpr -stop %userprofile%\desktop\MyTrace.etl". The trace file will be created on your desktop.
    6. Compress the resulting file (Important)
    7. Share it through TransferNow or any other file sharing platform.

If Windows Performance Toolkit is not present on your system, you can download it from this link. After installing it, go back to step 1.

zinou, Mar 19, 2020
  4. High "System" CPU usage, then Windows stops responding

system process high cpu usage

Hello,

To fix high CPU usage issue, please refer these steps:

Try to identify the process creating this issue.

Download Process Explorer from Microsoft:

Process Explorer - Windows Sysinternals

Run the tool then select the system process, right-click and select Properties.

Switch to the Threads tab. This will show which file is using the excessive CPU usage, from which you can then attempt to diagnose it.

Also refer: [FIX] Windows 10 High CPU Usage Problem

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Kapil Arya MVP, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

High "System" CPU usage, then Windows stops responding

1. High "System" CPU usage, then Windows stops responding - Similar Threads - High System CPU

2. High System Process CPU Usage.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High System Process CPU Usage.: Hello, I have an issue, with my computer, for some reason, even after restarting it, the system proccess uses my cpu from 10% to 25%Any ideas why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-system-process-cpu-usage/6a2d10fe-d652-40ea-a6f8-99412bb0b8f0
  3. High System Process CPU Usage.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High System Process CPU Usage.: Hello, I have an issue, with my computer, for some reason, even after restarting it, the system proccess uses my cpu from 10% to 25%Any ideas why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-system-process-cpu-usage/6a2d10fe-d652-40ea-a6f8-99412bb0b8f0
  4. High System Proccess CPU Usage.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High System Proccess CPU Usage.: Hello, I have an issue, with my computer, for some reason, even after restarting it, the system proccess uses my cpu from 10% to 25%Any ideas why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-system-proccess-cpu-usage/6a2d10fe-d652-40ea-a6f8-99412bb0b8f0
  5. System/ntoskrnl.exe high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System/ntoskrnl.exe high cpu usage: Ntoskrnl.exe is using 20% cpu constantly. It brings my battery down to 1 hour from 10 hours. I’ve had this issue before and reinstalled windows but it has come back. I suspect it’s a third party app such as a Microsoft flight sim or another game causing this issue. The high...
  6. System/ntoskrnl.exe high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System/ntoskrnl.exe high cpu usage: Ntoskrnl.exe is using 20% cpu constantly. It brings my battery down to 1 hour from 10 hours. I’ve had this issue before and reinstalled windows but it has come back. I suspect it’s a third party app such as a Microsoft flight sim or another game causing this issue. The high...
  7. High CPU usage by "System"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High CPU usage by "System": Hi. I am experiencing this problem - my cpu is running at high percentage and the biggest contributor to that is a "System" process in the task manager. Goes up to about 40%. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks submitted by /u/Vlatot [link] [comments]...
  8. High CPU usage by "System interrupts"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU usage by "System interrupts": I have DELL INSPIRON 15 5570 i7 8th generation, OS is installed in 128GB SSD drive. My CPU usage is very high. I opened task manager to see which process is using more CPU and found that " System interrupts" is using more that 80% of my CPU , thus slowing the system. I have...
  9. High CPU usage with 'system interupts'

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU usage with 'system interupts': High CPU usage with 'system interrupts'. However, the usage decreases when the task manager is opened. On opening the task manager, the system interrupt is visible for a few seconds and then the CPU usage goes down....
  10. 'System' process high CPU usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    'System' process high CPU usage: Hello, Since the past 3-4 days the process called 'System' has been constantly using approximately 35% of my CPU. The usage is pretty much constant all the time. Below you can find screenshots from task manager, resource monitor and process explorer. In the past I've...