Windows 10: High usage of Windows 10 resources by System

Discus and support High usage of Windows 10 resources by System in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My computer this morning was very slow. I opened the Task Manager, and it told me that System was using about 50% of my CPU and memory resources. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Lawrence Hunsicker, Dec 1, 2020.

1. High usage of Windows 10 resources by System

My computer this morning was very slow. I opened the Task Manager, and it told me that System was using about 50% of my CPU and memory resources. I rebooted , but this didn't help. I also signed in with a different account, and the problem was the same. So it is not specific to either of my two accounts. I found a site on Google , "How to Fix High RAM and CPU Usage of Windows 10 System ntoskrnl.exe Process." Indeed, when I asked Task Manager what file System represented, it confirmed that it was ntoskrnl.exe.

The site says that this is a known bug in Windows 10, and it gives a series of suggestions on how to fix it. The author seems to be FOSSBYTES. But I am reluctant to go fussing with my Registry unless I am reassured that this is all legitimate. Does anyone here know about this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I have not been able to get through to MS Help to ask about this issue. I am hoping that someone in the MS Community will be able to help me.

Larry Hunsicker

:)

Lawrence Hunsicker, Dec 1, 2020

2. Windows 10 high system data usage

We appreciate the additional information. Windows update is one of the possible cause why the system data usage is high. If you prefer to disable automatic updates to avoid high data usage, follow the steps below:

• Type gpedit.msc in the search bar, then press Enter
      to open Local Group Policy Editor.
    • Browse the following path:
      • Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update
    • Locate Configure Automatic Updates, then double-click it.
    • Check the Enabled option to enable the policy.
    • Under Options, change it to option 2 (Notify for download and notify for install).
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Martin Bar, Dec 1, 2020
  3. System and compressed memory high disk usage

Hi Robert,

As you are facing issues with high system and compressed memory on your device we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What is the complete error message with respect to the memory when you are trying to access games?

This issue might have occurred due to applications or services running at the startup on the computer. Bad sectors on the hard drive or outdated and incompatible drivers might also cause such issues.

I suggest you to refer to the below post check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, I recommend you to try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Amarjeet Paul
    and check if it helps.

System and compressed memory high disk usage during file
    copy

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 1, 2020
  4. Snehanand Win User

High usage of Windows 10 resources by System

high system resource usage issue on Windows 10 64 bit

Assistance requested - I run a Windows 10 64 bit system on my desktop. Desktop is used for all general purposes plus photo editing using high end software like Luminar 4 etc. The processor used is Intel i7 4790S at 3.2GHz, RAM 8GB, Intel HD Graphics
    4600 card. After one of the regular windows update a few months back I continuously get the "high system resource usage" when running my utility. I have tried various solutions but none seem to work. Result being that it takes awfully long to boot/reboot and
    also hangs up at times when using the high juice gulping softwares. HELP

Snehanand, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

High usage of Windows 10 resources by System

1. High usage of Windows 10 resources by System - Similar Threads - High usage resources

2. "System" Data Usage Is High Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "System" Data Usage Is High Windows 10: My windows 10 "System" using so much of data. It's more than 100GB for the last one week which utilized all my data for this month. I have already tried below,- Set as metered connection- Disabled windows update In both services and local group policy editor- Scanned for...
  3. "System" Data Usage Is High Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "System" Data Usage Is High Windows 10: My windows 10 "System" using so much of data. It's more than 100GB for the last one week which utilized all my data for this month. I have already tried below,- Set as metered connection- Disabled windows update In both services and local group policy editor- Scanned for...
  4. "System" Data Usage Is High Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. High disk usage in resource monitor.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High disk usage in resource monitor.: Hi my name is David,Recently i noticed high disk usage from "System" In resource monitorMy disk is going "Wawes " patern:Reading , Not reading , Reading , Not reading , and this countinues on for 5 - 6 hoursI scanned my entire pc with Defender, Malwarebytes , msert.exeI...
  6. Windows 10 High System network usage

Windows 10 High System network usage: When I checked my data usage in Windows 10, this is what I got: [ATTACH] As you can see, System used a tremendous amount of data - 341.47 GB. I mean, there's no way Windows Updates and other stuff take up that much data. Most people who experienced this problem were...
  7. High Data usage by system in Windows 10

High Data usage by system in Windows 10: Hi, My laptop has 234 GB used by 'system' in the last 30 days and about 80 GB in the last 3 or 4 days alone. I am not sure what is updating in the background which uses so much data. This month i breached my monthly data limit for the first time and by a huge margin. What...
  8. High System Usage

High System Usage: For some time now I see that the System process in the task manager is using quite a lot CPU power, around 20%. I've installed the latest drivers, tinkered with the power settings, looked for ACPI related items in the BIOS but still nothing. On closer inspection with the...
  9. Windows 10- high resources usage

Windows 10- high resources usage: What will I use, if Windows 10 uses this much resource of my laptop? Image https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-high-resources-usage/72e43609-bddf-40c3-aca2-4f9fdf2003a4
  10. high system resource usage issue on Windows 10 64 bit

high system resource usage issue on Windows 10 64 bit: Assistance requested - I run a Windows 10 64 bit system on my desktop. Desktop is used for all general purposes plus photo editing using high end software like Luminar 4 etc. The processor used is Intel i7 4790S at 3.2GHz, RAM 8GB, Intel HD Graphics 4600 card. After one of...