Windows 10: high usage on core 0

Discus and support high usage on core 0 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; ive been trying to fix this issue for a while now and have no idea how and why its happening.issue:core 0 gets flooded during use causing "audio... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by lvl10, Jun 10, 2022.

1. lvl10 Win User

high usage on core 0

ive been trying to fix this issue for a while now and have no idea how and why its happening.issue:core 0 gets flooded during use causing "audio stutters" and lag spikes, so im forced to remove the affinity of high performance requiring programs from core0. system info:Laptop xmg apex 15 personal investigation:SFC and DISM found no corruptionreinstalled chipset driversstarted in safe mode no changes in behaviorrunning on battery with powersaving modes reduces load on core0 by about 50% but its still a lot higher then the otherssystem interrupts usually has the highest cpu usage among progra

:)

lvl10, Jun 10, 2022

2. Ver 2004 Update caused Interrupt Storm high CPU usage core #0

• Ryzen 1600, B350, 16GB, GTX 1070, nvme M.2 ssd (OS)
    With the Win10 2004 update my ssd suddenly crashed and I had to reinstall windows 10 from scratch. Doing so resulted in an interrupt storm that gives 75% core#0 usage (7% CPU usage overall). Any intensive applications or games now chokes and stutters the
    CPU unless I set affinity for all peripherals and applications to the remaining cores (#1-#11) - in other words: I have to avoid running anything on core #0

I have tried:

1. Wipe the drive, removed all non-essentials hardware and reinstalled fresh Windows 10 from MS website.
    2. Changed all power setting to max, no sleepy nap times, etc
    3. Removed or disabled all non-essential programs/apps
    4. Swapped out the memory sticks, tried different slots.
    5. Swapped out the GTX1070 for an old GTX750ti
    6. Rolled back the BIOS driver 1, 2 , 3 versions
    7. Rolled back the Nvidea GPU driver 1, 2, 3 versions
    8. Removed nvme ssd and re-reinstalled windows 10 onto an old spinner HHD
    9. Tried the defrag bug workaround (no luck)
    No luck, even after a fresh wipe and Win install I get the Interrupt storm on 1st wake up (so no malware or 3rd party cause)

• CPUID Hardware monitor confirms core#0 is at 75% workload, while the rest is idle <0%
    • Latency Monitor - confirms massive interrupt count by ACPI.sys (>6% cpu load, consuming 45 out of 60 seconds !!)
    • Process explorer confirms massive interrupt load by 'interrupts" (yes, that's very helpful), PID N/A, 0K bytes
    • Windows Performance Recorder/Analyzer reports "ACPI.sys" >90% cpu load called by ntoskernel, called by ntoskernel (10x itself) without revealing anything else.
    I've also tried the debug app but I don't really know enough to properly use it. All I got out of it is that there are 15 PCI devices running without any IRQ adress (?!?), and that there's also an PCI process that it calls "Unknown" or "Unidentified" at
    address 000000000.

Help anyone ?

SirBerticus, Jun 10, 2022
  3. System and compressed memory high disk usage

Hi Robert,

As you are facing issues with high system and compressed memory on your device we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What is the complete error message with respect to the memory when you are trying to access games?

This issue might have occurred due to applications or services running at the startup on the computer. Bad sectors on the hard drive or outdated and incompatible drivers might also cause such issues.

I suggest you to refer to the below post check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, I recommend you to try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Amarjeet Paul
    and check if it helps.

System and compressed memory high disk usage during file
    copy

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 10, 2022
  4. kaine Win User

high usage on core 0

Low CPU Usage on Core 0

So here's an interesting problem.

I was about to turn off my computer about 2 weeks ago when I noticed something strange in Task Manager. I have the CPU graph set to see the logical processors individually, and I saw that the usage for core 0 specifically was virtually non-existent. I booted up a game and saw the same thing (image for reference: imgur.com). I double checked in HWMonitor and it was the same thing. I rebooted my PC and the issue did not persist. Didn't think much of it at the time.

Fast forward to about a week ago and I noticed the same thing again. I tried to force CPU core usage to all cores in the advanced boot options of MSCONFIG and it was fine after another reboot. The issue seems to begin after the computer has been on for a while (approx. 3-5 hours or more), but I have not caught the exact moment the core usage drops to zero.

I read online about individual CPU cores failing, but I have received mixed information on whether a single core failure would make the CPU unusable. Even more interesting is that the hyperthreaded core (core 1) is still working, so this has genuinely stumped me. I have not noticed a significant performance hit while gaming or anything, though I think overall usage on the CPU has gone up slightly while playing the same games on the same settings, and no obvious problems have shown themselves since I first noticed this happening.

Can anyone shed some light on what this could be? Is this likely a hardware issue (I don't see how with the virtual core still working fine) or simply windows reporting the usage incorrectly?

System Specs:

• Intel i7-7700 (non-k)
    • GTX 1070Ti
    • M.2 SSD (defunct but still present, failed recently)
    • 1TB HDD

Edit: I can't believe I'm editing this only minutes after posting, but the issue seems to have resolved itself while I was writing this? The usage is back up now, but I don't know if the problem or this respite from the problem is temporary (will it come back?). New image for further reference: imgur.com

What the heck could be going on?

kaine, Jun 10, 2022
Thema:

high usage on core 0

1. high usage on core 0 - Similar Threads - high usage core

2. High usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High usage: HiOn my dell desktop i have been seeing a notice pop up on top saying HIGH MEMORY USAGE DECTED?tHANK YOUTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-usage/18431803-07a8-4870-b587-9a074af61cdb
  3. High usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High usage: HiOn my dell desktop i have been seeing a notice pop up on top saying HIGH MEMORY USAGE DECTED?tHANK YOUTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-usage/18431803-07a8-4870-b587-9a074af61cdb
  4. High Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High Usage: How to lower these usage while playing genshin impact? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-usage/f8c15587-f0d4-421c-a7a6-3ca161d59e56
  5. one core high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    one core high cpu usage: Hey there, recently I've got a problem that causes only one core to work 100% always and causes my laptop to be slow and sluggish i did a clean install of Windows 11I tried in Linux and the problem persists there too, but the workaround in Linux was unloading the...
  6. one core high cpu usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    one core high cpu usage: Hey there, recently I've got a problem that causes only one core to work 100% always and causes my laptop to be slow and sluggish i did a clean install of Windows 11I tried in Linux and the problem persists there too, but the workaround in Linux was unloading the...
  7. high usage on core 0

high usage on core 0: ive been trying to fix this issue for a while now and have no idea how and why its happening.issue:core 0 gets flooded during use causing "audio stutters" and lag spikes, so im forced to remove the affinity of high performance requiring programs from core0. image below: idle...
  8. high usage on core 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    high usage on core 0: ive been trying to fix this issue for a while now and have no idea how and why its happening.issue:core 0 gets flooded during use causing "audio stutters" and lag spikes, so im forced to remove the affinity of high performance requiring programs from core0. system info:Laptop...
  9. Ver 2004 Update caused Interrupt Storm high CPU usage core #0

Ver 2004 Update caused Interrupt Storm high CPU usage core #0: Ryzen 1600, B350, 16GB, GTX 1070, nvme M.2 ssd OS With the Win10 2004 update my ssd suddenly crashed and I had to reinstall windows 10 from scratch. Doing so resulted in an interrupt storm that gives 75% core#0 usage 7% CPU usage overall. Any intensive applications or games...
  10. Highly cpu cores usage first boot up

Highly cpu cores usage first boot up: [IMG]hello ....can assist me to solve this cpu high usage on all cores during first booting up pc ....i had to restart it again to make it normal usage on all cpu cores....happen everytime boot from cold start up windows.....tq...