Windows 10: Highlighting contiguous files

Discus and support Highlighting contiguous files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Searching for "How to highlight contiguous files" gets me one method which is this: "To gather several files or folders sitting next to each other in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jharpj, Sep 1, 2019.

1. jharpj Win User

Highlighting contiguous files

Searching for "How to highlight contiguous files" gets me one method which is this:

"To gather several files or folders sitting next to each other in a list, click the first one. Then hold down the Shift key as you click the last one. Those two items are highlighted, along with every file and folder sitting between them."

This method used to work for me but hasn't for several years now. I find this to be true with any windows 10 machine.

JHarpJ

:)

jharpj, Sep 1, 2019

2. I cannot highlight files in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

1) Does this issue occur with any specific files in the File explorer?

2) Does this issue occur n any specific drive?

3) Does this issue occur on Files on Desktop?

As a work around, I suggest you to highlight the files of the desktop(if any) and check.

I suggest you to check the issue in Safe Mode and see if it’s working slowly.

To enter Safe Mode in Windows 10:

• Restart your PC.

• Press Shift + restart
      before the Windows logo appears.

• Click See Advanced Repair Options.

• Click Troubleshoot.

• Click Advanced Options.

• Click Windows Startup Settings.

• Click Restart.

• You then see a list where you can choose
      Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking (depending on whether you think you’ll need the Internet).

I also suggest you to run system file checker scan and check the issue.

Sfc /scannow will inspect all of the important Windows files on your computer, including Windows DLL files. If System File Checker finds an issue with any of these protected files, it will replace it.

Follow the steps:

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Command prompt (Admin).

• At the Command Prompt, type:
      sfc/scannow

Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Sep 1, 2019
  3. Unable to highlight files in File Explorer

Hi Ken,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to run System file checker. System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.

Also, see: Fix Windows corruption errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool.

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps.

Abdul_Malik, Sep 1, 2019
  4. Wile E Win User

Post your 8800GT overclock pics

Ok then, download GPU-Z, run it.

Click the highlighted button in my pic, and select save to file.

Highlighting contiguous files example.jpg

Wile E, Sep 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Highlighting contiguous files - Similar Threads - Highlighting contiguous files

2. Does Shift-Select still highlight contiguous files in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Shift-Select still highlight contiguous files in File Explorer?: I used the command shift-select to select a range of files in File Explorer. Holding shift and selecting the first and last file in the range did not highlight the files in between. Does this function still work in Windows 11? Thank you....
  3. Does Shift-Select still highlight contiguous files in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Shift-Select still highlight contiguous files in File Explorer?: I used the command shift-select to select a range of files in File Explorer. Holding shift and selecting the first and last file in the range did not highlight the files in between. Does this function still work in Windows 11? Thank you....
  4. Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension: When I use to rename a file, I would do a slow double click and it would highlight the name of the file but not the extension.Like this:filename123.jpgI don't know why this was changed or when, but when now when I go to rename a file and do the slow double click it...
  5. Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension: When I use to rename a file, I would do a slow double click and it would highlight the name of the file but not the extension.Like this:filename123.jpgI don't know why this was changed or when, but when now when I go to rename a file and do the slow double click it...
  6. Renaming a file WITHOUT!!!! automatically highlighting file extension

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to combine two partitions that are not contiguous?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to combine two partitions that are not contiguous?: Hi everyone. I previously had Ubuntu set up to dual boot with Windows 10 on 100 GB. I wanted to increase the size to 170 GB and reinstall Ubuntu, so I deleted the Ubuntu partition, and shrunk my C drive by 70 GB. However, there is now a recovery drive between my two...
  8. File Explorer: Selecting contiguous files

File Explorer: Selecting contiguous files: Tested on Lenovo and HP laptops: Windows 10 v1909 & v2004 File Explorers only very occasionally allow<select>+<Shift> to select contiguous files - a procedure which worked in previous OS versions and never officially withdrawn. Single and randomselects, work O.K.....
  9. Highlights

Highlights: When I highlight a file, or try to fill a search box or "tickbox", the outline is so feint that it is barely visible. Sometimes I just have to click the mouse in the general area to try to locate it. Any help please....
  10. Disable address files auto highlighting

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable address files auto highlighting: Is there a way to disable the auto highlighting of all the text whenever you click in the address field, i.e. when doing a "save as"? 109126