Windows 10: Hight temps in laptop when in "best performance" AND plugged in.

Discus and support Hight temps in laptop when in "best performance" AND plugged in. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I recently got the Dell G3 (are my specs visible or should I include them?). I am having issues with the temperature. In battery everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by svlassis, Sep 2, 2018.

1. svlassis Win User

Hight temps in laptop when in "best performance" AND plugged in.

Hello, I recently got the Dell G3 (are my specs visible or should I include them?).
    I am having issues with the temperature.
    In battery everything works fine, in Best Performance mode the clocks are at ~800MHz when idle or when simple browsing. I have not done anything too extreme for more power but I guess if needed, the CPU would be in full power meaning ~4000MHz.
    The temperature at this normal state is at around 50C.

When plugged in and in Best Performance, the CPU clocks are always, no matter what I do at ~4000MHz and so the temperature rises to 80-90C even when idle.
    I checked the power settings and set the max cpu performance to 50% when plugged in and that dropped it to better (lower) speeds.
    But what is the point of having a CPU and not use its 100% (when needed)?
    My question is, shouldn't it, when plugged in, be at ~800MHz when idle or when not on heavy load, and only go to higher speeds when needed?
    Any advice? Why is best performance mode in battery okay, but plugged in not?
    Thanks.

:)

svlassis, Sep 2, 2018
  2. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Sep 2, 2018
  3. My PC lags when plugged in

We appreciate the additional information. This thread suggests performing the power troubleshooter to help resolve the issue. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings.
    • Click Update & Security.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane.
    • Locate Power, then click Run the troubleshooter.
    • Follow the prompts to complete the troubleshooter.
    Note: Perform the troubleshooter while the charger is plugged in.

To further help isolate the issue, we also suggest trying another charger on your laptop and see if helps. Sometimes, if the charger is damaged, it can cause performance issues.

Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you out further.

Martin Bar, Sep 2, 2018
  4. Geethu B Win User

Laptop Screen goes dark when I Plug in or plug out.

Hi Haifz,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that your laptop screen goes black while plugging the charger.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, let me know what is the model number of the laptop?

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Outdated or corrupt driver.
    • Missing Windows Updates.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to install all the available Windows Updates and check if it helps.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to download and install all the latest device drivers including graphics and chipset driver from the computer manufacturer website.

http://support.asus.com/download/Options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Sep 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Hight temps in laptop when in "best performance" AND plugged in. - Similar Threads - Hight temps laptop

2. Laptop performing at on-battery levels when plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop performing at on-battery levels when plugged in: My laptop has lately met a lot of performance issues related to the battery. It started with the laptop switching between plugged in and on battery when I'm gaming with AC power. After that issue was gone, I expected my laptop to perform smoothly again. But, my laptop chose...
  3. Laptop performing at on-battery levels when plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop performing at on-battery levels when plugged in: My laptop has lately met a lot of performance issues related to the battery. It started with the laptop switching between plugged in and on battery when I'm gaming with AC power. After that issue was gone, I expected my laptop to perform smoothly again. But, my laptop chose...
  4. Best performance for apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Best performance for apps: How do I add apps to graphics settings for best performance. I recently tried adding CSGO, but when I search desktop apps I cant find it, but when I manually type in CSGO and add it to highest performance it disappears when I open settings again?...
  5. MSI laptop performs better on "Better performance" option instead of "Best performance"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSI laptop performs better on "Better performance" option instead of "Best performance": I've recently got an MSI laptop GF63 Thin 11UC, and found out that for some reason the CPU speed is faster when on the "Better performance" option than on "best performance". Does anyone know why this is/how to change it?...
  6. MSI laptop performs better on "Better performance" option instead of "Best performance"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MSI laptop performs better on "Better performance" option instead of "Best performance": I've recently got an MSI laptop GF63 Thin 11UC, and found out that for some reason the CPU speed is faster when on the "Better performance" option than on "best performance". Does anyone know why this is/how to change it?...
  7. MSI laptop performs better on "Better performance" option instead of "Best performance"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Laptop's not switching to "high performance mode" when plugged in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop's not switching to "high performance mode" when plugged in: Before when I used to plug in my laptop, the laptop used to go into "performance mode". This was visible because the screen colors looked more vivid and gave better fps while playing games. But now, after plugging in, the laptop stays in the same state, no color change or...
  9. Weird gaming performance when plugging and unplugging my laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird gaming performance when plugging and unplugging my laptop.: So when I'm playing a very demanding game on my PC, it lags for sure, but if it's plugged and I unplug it, it runs like butter and after a few seconds, it resumes lagging. Same thing happens when it's unplugged and I plug it. Is there a way to fix this please?...
  10. Laptop Whizzing When Plugged In When (Battery) Power Mode is set to Best Performance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop Whizzing When Plugged In When (Battery) Power Mode is set to Best Performance: Hi, So with the last Windows 10 Update (Version 1803) (Probably with the last update) on my Asus ROG G752VT laptop ( bought roughly a year ago ) the following occurs*: *( For all of the following, my Maximum Processor State is set to 99%, Because else the CPU Reaches 90+...