Windows 10: HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry change does not save in Audit Mode

Discus and support HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry change does not save in Audit Mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am preparing a Lenovo Flex 4 laptop for Windows Out of Box Experience (OOBE). Looks like Lenovo's default touchpad driver configuration is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tech631, May 4, 2021.

1. tech631 Win User

HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry change does not save in Audit Mode

I am preparing a Lenovo Flex 4 laptop for Windows Out of Box Experience (OOBE). Looks like Lenovo's default touchpad driver configuration is misconfigured such that two finger tap (right click) does not work. I found setting the registry under [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Elanttech\Smartpad] for entries Tap_Two_Finger and Tap_Two_Finger_Enable both to 1 from 7 and 0, respectively, allows the two finger tap on touchpad to work again when I restart back into Audit Mode. Unfortunately, changing this setting in Audit Mode for OOBE does not save once Sysprep prepares the laptop for OOBE and I enter Audit Mode again after. I presume this is because this is a setting under CURRENT USER and OOBE removes/resets all those settings due to reset user? The key is not available under any other registry entries. Any solutions to this issue?

:)

tech631, May 4, 2021
  2. tech631 Win User

I am preparing a Lenovo Flex 4 laptop for Windows Out of Box Experience (OOBE). Looks like Lenovo's default touchpad driver configuration is misconfigured such that two finger tap (right click) does not work. I found setting the registry under [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Elanttech\Smartpad] for entries Tap_Two_Finger and Tap_Two_Finger_Enable both to 1 from 7 and 0, respectively, allows the two finger tap on touchpad to work again when I restart back into Audit Mode. Unfortunately, changing this setting in Audit Mode for OOBE does not save once Sysprep prepares the laptop for OOBE and I enter Audit Mode again after. I presume this is because this is a setting under CURRENT USER and OOBE removes/resets all those settings due to reset user? The key is not available under any other registry entries. Any solutions to this issue?

tech631, May 5, 2021
  3. HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry change does not save in Audit Mode

Welcome to TenForums!

Actually, I have a script that I use regularly. It changes quite a few things in the Current User space. It works just fine for me after a sysprep.

I'd love to know a bit more about your workflow to see if we can figure out where the problem is.

Maybe you could test one of the registry changes that I typically make to see if it works following a sysprep. This one is a good example because it is easy to verify visually that it works. This registry change simply causes the clock on the taskbar to also show seconds. Normally it just shows hours and minutes.

Take the text below, drop into a text file with a .REG extension and double-click to run. Of cource, you can make the change manually if you prefer.

Make clock on taskbar show seconds:
    Code:
    Revert back to showing only hours and minutes:
    Code:

hsehestedt, May 5, 2021
  4. tech631 Win User

I actually figured it out. Unchecking the 'generalize' option button in the System Preparation Tool allows my registry changes to be saved. Another thing that may have done it is I also found the same elantech folder entry under under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control where I made the same changes and now it seems to save the changes as long as I don't check the generalize option in the System Preparation Tool

tech631, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry change does not save in Audit Mode - Similar Threads - HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry change

2. What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?: What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?×ÑÊ´ïA~[äGì¡“÷¯—¬Ã\ýYLì…eȨÕ{ܨWü¸_ÝLx3/xø https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-these-strange-characters-in-the-registry/aecc71c8-ee0b-4c67-bbf5-2a328fbc85d0
  3. What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?: What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?×ÑÊ´ïA~[äGì¡“÷¯—¬Ã\ýYLì…eȨÕ{ܨWü¸_ÝLx3/xø https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-these-strange-characters-in-the-registry/aecc71c8-ee0b-4c67-bbf5-2a328fbc85d0
  4. Registry key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local...: I asked another question about this yesterday and another user responded, however I didn't get the answer I was looking for. They said that the key was legit, but he didn't know about it being in the "AppModel\PolicyCache" branch, so I wanted to know if it was a fake key or...
  5. Registry key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local...: I asked another question about this yesterday and another user responded, however I didn't get the answer I was looking for. They said that the key was legit, but he didn't know about it being in the "AppModel\PolicyCache" branch, so I wanted to know if it was a fake key or...
  6. Windows 10 Save registry changes from prompt in recovery mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Save registry changes from prompt in recovery mode: Hi everybody.I messed up my Win10 installation by simply delete a registry key...I was trying to test an old Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-TD-500. When I tried to install the drivers I had the first problems because it wasn't detected by the installer. In fact in the devices list it...
  7. Windows 10 Save registry changes from prompt in recovery mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Save registry changes from prompt in recovery mode: Hi everybody.I messed up my Win10 installation by simply delete a registry key...I was trying to test an old Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-TD-500. When I tried to install the drivers I had the first problems because it wasn't detected by the installer. In fact in the devices list it...
  8. Audit mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Audit mode: How do I get out of audit mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audit-mode/806c0874-884f-479b-8ddb-dee09d104dc4
  9. Registry subfolders empty in HKEY_CURRENT_USER

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry subfolders empty in HKEY_CURRENT_USER: I was about to look through my registry to clean some old things up, but before I could I noticed that under HKEY_CURRENT_USER all the subfolders had weird titles as if using an incompatible font, and each contain an empty default registry. This is probably over a thousand...
  10. Audit Mode and Robocopy

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Audit Mode and Robocopy: So today I had an interesting issue. I had a data transfer from an old hard drive to a newly purchased system. It wasnt my system, else I would've follow windows oobe and then transfered the files. Instead, i hit control+shift+F3 to enter audit mode and then I opened PS as...