Windows 10: hlp extension

Discus and support hlp extension in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have program that works with the .hlp extenion (Windows 7 version). It won't work on Windows 10 .hlp extention. Is there a way I can add a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by doncole, Feb 26, 2019.

1. doncole Win User

hlp extension

I have program that works with the .hlp extenion (Windows 7 version).
    It won't work on Windows 10 .hlp extention.
    Is there a way I can add a new extention that will run the Windows 7 version?

I could upload the file if I knew how.

Don Cole

:)

doncole, Feb 26, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

How to Open old HLP files from Windows 10

Microsoft deprecated the old .hlp format over 10 years ago because of security risks.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...-of-hlp-files/

I've converted some of my more useful .hlp files to .chm.

The replacement format for help files is the compiled HTMLHelp format (CHM). The look and use of a .chm help file is almost identical to that of the older .hlp files. In fact, the project files (table of contents, images, text etc.) used to compile a .hlp file can easily be converted to a .chm project. From there it's an easy step to recompile the project in .chm format. Microsoft of course don't release the project files for their Help files, but these can be recreated by decompiling the .hlp file. A step-by-step guide including links to the (free) software required is here:

http://www.help-info.de/en/Help_Info...converting.htm

3. topgundcp Win User
    How to Open old HLP files from Windows 10

@andylaode
    The easiest way to solve this problem is to use the XP version of winhlp32.exe.
    If you have the Windows XP installtion disk, you can extract from it or download the attachment below which contains both X86 and X64 version of winhlp32.exe (XP64winhlp32.exe & XP32winhlp32.exe). Use the appropriate version with your Windows 10.

1. Copy XP64winhlp32.exe to C:\Windows or to C:\Windows\system32 if your Windows 10 is 64 bit. else copy XP32winhlp32.exe.
    2. right click on the .hlp file that you want to open->Open with->More Apps then browse to the executable in step one to select it, put a check mark on "Always use ...." as shown below to associate the file type .hlp with this XP version.

hlp extension [​IMG]

The original .hlp has an icon as shown:

hlp extension [​IMG]

new association will change to:

hlp extension [​IMG]
    To open the .hlp file, simply double click it or open it within the program you are running (Only work if the app is not hardcoded to open with winhlp32.exe)

XPWinhlp32.7z

topgundcp, Feb 26, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

hlp extension

Extensions unresponsive

Hi,

I realized your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Settings > System > Apps & Features > Uninstall the problem Edge Extension(s)

• Go to Store > manually search the store for the extension, then install it again.
    After it's installed, click the 'Launch' button and it will take you to Edge where you can set it up.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Feb 26, 2019
Thema:

hlp extension

1. hlp extension - Similar Threads - hlp extension

2. How to install WinhlpXX to read hlp legacy files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install WinhlpXX to read hlp legacy files: Hello,I work a lot with Borland C++ that has a context F1 help system.I know this has been discontinued for security reasons.There are tons of "recipes" to install an XP file on Win 10, but I tried many without any chance.Is there a MS procedure for this ?This is my...
  3. How to install WinhlpXX to read hlp legacy files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install WinhlpXX to read hlp legacy files: Hello,I work a lot with Borland C++ that has a context F1 help system.I know this has been discontinued for security reasons.There are tons of "recipes" to install an XP file on Win 10, but I tried many without any chance.Is there a MS procedure for this ?This is my...
  4. Win10 v1909 - Run HLP files or How to Convert

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 v1909 - Run HLP files or How to Convert: HLP files got deprecated in Win7 but workarounds worked. Win10 v1909 appears to eliminate the ability to execute (use) HLP files. I have a number of older programs that have or use HLP files including some of M$ old programs. One program in particular -- a book I use...
  5. Win10 v1909 - Run HLP files or Howto Convert

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 v1909 - Run HLP files or Howto Convert: HLP files got deprecated in Win7 but workarounds worked. Win10 v1909 appears to eliminate the ability to execute (use) HLP files. I have a number of older programs that have or use HLP files including some of M$ old programs. One program in particular -- a book I use...
  6. HLP file Workaround for WIndows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    HLP file Workaround for WIndows 10: I had a workaround to use the old HLP files but M$ appears to have broken the ability to use a HLP again. Sadly, the workaround (using XP HLP files) no longer appears to work. ---------------- Questions ------------------ 1) Anyone have a workaround that works (recently...
  7. Converting HLP files in Windows 10 to PDF or a usable format

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Converting HLP files in Windows 10 to PDF or a usable format: I have an older program that has the .hlp file format. I'm stuck and can't use it as I use Windows 10. Alot of the 'free' converters do nothing. Any help in the forum?...
  8. Reading old hlp files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reading old hlp files in Windows 10: How to read old hlp files in Windows 10. Any support seems to stop at Windows 8.1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reading-old-hlp-files-in-windows-10/cf91f8ee-e457-44c8-adfc-a840fe7257d8"
  9. Access .HLP files on legacy programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Access .HLP files on legacy programs: How can I access help files (*.hlp) for old programs - pre Windows 10? I think a method was published earlier but I cannot locate it now. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-hlp-files-on-legacy-programs/28b3b9f8-f734-4afd-bc5d-3b0a008e20c2
  10. How to Open old HLP files from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Open old HLP files from Windows 10: @andylaode The easiest way to solve this problem is to use the XP version of winhlp32.exe. If you have the Windows XP installtion disk, you can extract from it or download the attachment below which contains both X86 and X64 version of winhlp32.exe (XP64winhlp32.exe &...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 .hlp 2019