Windows 10: Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.

Discus and support Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; "Reset This PC" Confusion Firstly it seems MS have gotten-rid of the 'Refresh This PC' terminology to describe the distinction between keeping files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ksdixon, Jun 10, 2015.

1. ksdixon Win User

Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.

The more and more I use vanilla Win8, the more I think that Win8.1 is better than Win10.

- OneNote Modern App on Win8 has the circular radical menu, and ability to change pen thickness.

- (Vanilla Win8.0) 'Uninstalling' a modern app from the Start Screen actually uninstalls it. You don't have to additionally go into All Apps and uninstall it again. Simillarly, newly installed programs and modern apps are automatically pinned to the Start Screen. Saves me the hassel of having to pin them myself.

- Touch keyboard's 2nd layout has numbers in the middle of the left and right hand keys, instead of a blank space in the middle. This makes it much easier to type passwords which have both letters and numbers in them, rather than clicking back and forth between letters and numbers.

- Touch screen/touch gestures in general are MUCH smoother, whereas Win10's Tablet Mode seems to have strange and glitchy behaviour.

- OneDrive has the placeholder files, which shows what is in each folder even if it is not downloaded to the device (file is offline). For devices with small capacity spaces, having to manually sync items like back on Windows 7 can play havoc with the amount of space you have.

- Active window's titlebars are colored, instead of being white. This makes it easier to see at a moment's glance which window is active.

- The opened-taskbar items are easier to see, than Win10's slightly white overlay. The taskbar progress-meters (such as copy window progress, and media player timeline positions) are green instead of a slightly white overlay). These make it much easier to see at a moment's glance where they are upto.

:)

ksdixon, Jun 10, 2015
  2. JeffhMan Win User

There was a problem starting sbavmon.dll The specified module could not be found after upgrading to Windows 10

This issue is in Win10, not Win7--- or Win8.* , Tell me how to do the clean boot for Win10. The second method I am looking into, and hope it's more helpful than method 1.

JeffhMan, Jun 10, 2015
  3. Windows 10 reinstallation frozen at 64%

What problems are you having that you think "reinstalling" Win10 might resolve?

Did the computer come with Win8(.1) or Win7 preinstalled?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Jun 10, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

Kind of fond of windows 8.1

still working on 10 - but it went backwards - just not all the way back

windows 8.1 was two steps to far forward (for some people) and windows 10 is like three steps back

5. davehc Win User
    I'll wait until the jury is back. It isn't in RTM yet.

davehc, Jun 10, 2015
  6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    . . .each to their own opinion. . .*really

7. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree... I think that the way that Win10 is heading it's much better than Win8.1 and it has a future. Win8.1 is on the way out.

BunnyJ, Jun 10, 2015
  8. Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.

I agree that 10 is a backwards step, much prefer 8.1 and find it much easier to use

I will still be getting 10 a soon as it comes out though (on laptop), tablet I have 12 months to see how they improve the touch side before making my decision

paulsalter, Jun 10, 2015
  9. *Ditto To the 10 is a backwards step and the preferring 8.1 and finding it much easier to use.

alphanumeric, Jun 10, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    Question,.,, how is Win10 a backward step?? You do lose the start screen but there was an outcry when the start menu disappeared in Win8/Win8.1..

BunnyJ, Jun 10, 2015
  11. Winuser Win User
    When MS released Windows 8 they should have given user the choice between the Start Menu and the Start screen.

Winuser, Jun 10, 2015
  12. I am not one of the ones who cried for a Start Menu. I don't want one period. Especially the one in Windows 10. I an very happy with the Start Screen/All Apps Screen setup in Windows 8.1. This Start Screen/Start Menu hybrid just doesn't work for me. To get the Windows 8.1 look I switch to tablet mode. That means having to click the hamburger icon to get to All Apps, only its not All Apps. To get that I have to mouse all the way back down to bottom and click All Apps. Then scroll up and down to find what I want. Most of what's on the default Start Menu I already have pinned to my Start Screen, so its basically useless and a waist of space, which is why I use Tablet Mode in the first place. IMHO its a step backward.

alphanumeric, Jun 10, 2015
  13. Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.

Touch wise mainly for me, win 8 series was more designed for touch on the app side and worked ok for mouse, but not ideal
    Win 10 is more designed for mouse, using with touch is like a touch enabled win 7
    app switcher, charms where great features when using touch

desktop wise, win 8 series has nearly identical desktop to all previous versions, desktop in 10 is a strange mix of metro modern look and win 32 look, its not consistent

paulsalter, Jun 10, 2015
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    What I meant was that overall the user base wanted the start menu back, including me. I never had a need or desire to use the start screen and when I could I would use a third party tool like Start8/Classic Shell.

And if you pin what you have on your present start screen onto the start menu(win10) you have the same thing..

BunnyJ, Jun 10, 2015
  15. BunnyJ New Member
    MS did state that this is a new start so that would explain why it's not consistent with previous versions of Windows. It seems that MS took the effort this time to make the OS more usable for desktop users than tablet users and I for one like this approach.

BunnyJ, Jun 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10. - Similar Threads - Hmm Overall Win8

2. Acer Spin 1 I think is corrupted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Acer Spin 1 I think is corrupted.: So I've had a Acer Spin 1 sitting around for over 2 years and files are missing of it and I can't get past the login screen or it will BSOD. It was missing Microsoft Edge, all my apps and files and also many other things. I don't know whether this is corruption or something...
  3. Acer Spin 1 I think is corrupted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Acer Spin 1 I think is corrupted.: So I've had a Acer Spin 1 sitting around for over 2 years and files are missing of it and I can't get past the login screen or it will BSOD. It was missing Microsoft Edge, all my apps and files and also many other things. I don't know whether this is corruption or something...
  4. Acer Spin 1 I think is corrupted.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I have 2 Display adapters and I think 1 is interfering with the other, or else 1 of them is...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I have 2 Display adapters and I think 1 is interfering with the other, or else 1 of them is...: I downloaded Radeon software on accident and its display adapter keeps reinstalling itself.. I've tried about everything but I can't seem to get rid of it.. I need help badly.....
  6. Can't delay Updates more than 1 month.

Can't delay Updates more than 1 month.: Hello, I have Windows 10 Pro, and last update I did, was on 17th February. Problem is; since that 17th February, I can't delay updates more than 24th March. This is barely a little more than 30 days. It should be at least 90 days, and I know that with Pro version you could...
  7. More than 1 sign in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    More than 1 sign in: I have windows 10. I have had only one microsoft account that is an auto sign in and I don't remember what the old password was. Now I have a another account that I want to be separate from the first one. When signing in, there is the date and time page; then there is the...
  8. Win10 running more than 1 program slows down the laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 running more than 1 program slows down the laptop: Hello folks This is making my head spin, when Firefox is running & Im surfing all is OK When firefox and 1 x program is running things slow down When firefox is closed and i run 2 or more programs things start to really slow down IF i have firefox running, surfing facebook...
  9. My laptop stuck in getting things better for more than 1 month for updating updating...

My laptop stuck in getting things better for more than 1 month for updating updating...: Some times showing downloading. Some times showing installing, Then showing getting things ready, This is continuing more than 1 month. I can not able to update version 1903,...
  10. scanning more than 1 document

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    scanning more than 1 document: I have a PIXMA MG5520 Scanner and I'd like to know how to put 2 or more scanned documents in 1 file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/scanning-more-than-1-document/dc0d4ef8-f066-4eca-b052-c52b8c09d687