Windows 10: hmpalertsvc registry permissions / unquoted service path

Discus and support hmpalertsvc registry permissions / unquoted service path in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello,I am in the process of fixing any clients that have the unquoted service path vulnerability but have hit a snag.All is good until it finds the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Paul Duxbury, Jun 21, 2021.

1. hmpalertsvc registry permissions / unquoted service path

Hello,I am in the process of fixing any clients that have the unquoted service path vulnerability but have hit a snag.All is good until it finds the sophos hitman pro service hmpalertsvc as it cannot change the imagepath. I have checked the permissions on the key and administrators have full control. I have also taken ownership of this key and still no go.I am due to go through a cyber certification shortly and know this will flag up so want to fix before it does. Has anyone else come across this one and know a fix for it ?Thanks in advance.Paul.

:)

Paul Duxbury, Jun 21, 2021

2. Cannot access path, no permission

Hello cgherman, my name is Irisdiel and I am an independent advisor.

I suggest you follow the instructions down below and visit the link I have provided for you to follow more solutions in case method 1 doesn't help.

The causes of your problem may be:

-You do not have permissions to the file or the file location.

-The file is on a location that is not currently accessible like a network location or an external drive that is not currently connected to the PC.

-The file has been moved or deleted.

-The file or shortcut is corrupt.

-The file may be blocked by Windows.

-Your antivirus software may be blocking the file.

Method 1: Check the permission of the file or folder

-Right-click the file or folder, and then select Properties.

-Select the Security tab.

-Under Group or User names, click your name to see the permissions you have. (The screenshot for this step is listed below).

-Select Edit, and then select to check the check boxes for the permissions that you need, and then select OK. (The screenshot for this step is listed below).

Refer to:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/266924...

Hope this helps!

Thank you and good luck,

Regards- .

Irisdiel H, Jun 21, 2021
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    I am unable to disable Delivery Optimization service. When I try to disable this service it says "Access Denied".

Hi Shivam,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

This issue could probably due to the service not having enough permissions. I would suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works.

Note:

Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry
    if a problem occurs. To backup and restore registry key, refer to this
    link.

• Press Windows and R keys on the keyboard together to open the run dialog box and type the following into the Run box:
      REGEDIT
    • Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DoSvc
    • Right click the above registry key and click on
      Permissions.

• On the security
      tab, select the User you want to provide permission.
    • Under Permissions for Administrators,
      check the box next to Full control under
      Allow.
    • Click on Apply > OK and exit
      Registry Editor.

• Open Services Control Panel and now try disabling the service.

If you are unable to disable the service and the bandwidth is still being consumed, it could be due to the Windows Store apps automatic update. You may want to disable the same and check if it helps.

• Open Microsoft Store and click on the ellipsis at the top right corner.
    • Choose Settings and turn off
      automatic app updates
    • Exit Store and restart the machine to see if the internet bandwidth is still being consumed.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jun 21, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

hmpalertsvc registry permissions / unquoted service path

Changes made in Registry, Services or Settings not saving

Hi, suggestions:
    1. Disable Fast startup.
    How do I enable or disable fast startup?

• Type Control Panel in the search box.
    • Click Control Panel.
    • Click Power Options.
    • Click Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    • Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup.
    • Click Save changes.

2. There have been cases where an old version 3rd party program has caused settings to revert on rebooting. E.g. winzip, albeit when setting file type association defaults.
    3. Registry permissions problems.
    You could try Tweaking.com's free cautious repair tool, selecting only the relevant registry permissions repair.

You might also compare results when working in Safe Mode.

For more: Google search
    registry change revert on reboot
    gives many results.

dalchina, Jun 21, 2021
Thema:

hmpalertsvc registry permissions / unquoted service path

1. hmpalertsvc registry permissions / unquoted service path - Similar Threads - hmpalertsvc registry permissions

2. Unquoted Service Path Enumeration Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unquoted Service Path Enumeration Issue: I'm running into a problem with securing windows 11 23r2 systems and wanted to know if there is a workaround for the following issue:Security Context:CVE-2013-1609 CVE-2014-0759 CVE-2014-5455 Nessus found the following service with an untrusted path : MDCoreSvc :...
  3. Unquoted Service Path Enumeration Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unquoted Service Path Enumeration Issue: I'm running into a problem with securing windows 11 23r2 systems and wanted to know if there is a workaround for the following issue:Security Context:CVE-2013-1609 CVE-2014-0759 CVE-2014-5455 Nessus found the following service with an untrusted path : MDCoreSvc :...
  4. Microsoft Windows Unquoted Service Path Enumeration vulnerability

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Windows Unquoted Service Path Enumeration vulnerability: Dear Team,How to overcome "Microsoft Windows Unquoted Service Path Enumeration vulnerability".VA in this path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v3.0\ Windows Communication Foundation\SMSvcHost.exe.Please suggest....
  5. Microsoft Windows Unquoted Service Path Enumeration vulnerability

Microsoft Windows Unquoted Service Path Enumeration vulnerability: Dear Team,How to overcome "Microsoft Windows Unquoted Service Path Enumeration vulnerability".VA in this path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v3.0\ Windows Communication Foundation\SMSvcHost.exe.Please suggest....
  6. Can i import a list of service permissions into permissions for a registry key? If so, or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i import a list of service permissions into permissions for a registry key? If so, or...: Can i import a list of service permissions into permissions for a registry key? If so, or even if not, I know how to do it, so I don't need directions on how to....
  7. Can i import a list of service permissions into permissions for a registry key? If so, or...

Can i import a list of service permissions into permissions for a registry key? If so, or...: Can i import a list of service permissions into permissions for a registry key? If so, or even if not, I know how to do it, so I don't need directions on how to....
  8. hmpalertsvc registry permissions / unquoted service path

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    hmpalertsvc registry permissions / unquoted service path: Good morning / afternoon everyone; We have a new issue that appeared after the February updates for Windows 10. All of our Windows 10 machines now have an unquoted service path vulnerability verified for the hmpalertsvc service. I have attempted running regedit as...
  9. Network access Remote registry paths and sub paths

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network access Remote registry paths and sub paths: Hi everyone Windows 10 Pro version 20H2 Build 19042.631 Im need to compare the security topics as follows, I am not sure if this is normal or configuration. Network access Remote registry paths and sub paths Thanks. [img] 170769
  10. Registry permissions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry permissions: I edited registry HKEY_CURRENT _CONFIG permission but then it deleted all users automatically except the one i created recently. Now i can't access anything i tried to restart computer and reset it from advanced optionshift + restart but after 50 - 60 % it comes back to...