Windows 10: Ho often should I run disk defragmenter in win 10

Discus and support Ho often should I run disk defragmenter in win 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi I had a question about disk defragmenter. I was wondering how often it should be run and why it is set to run automatically in windows 10? In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CreeperKing, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Ho often should I run disk defragmenter in win 10

Hi I had a question about disk defragmenter. I was wondering how often it should be run and why it is set to run automatically in windows 10? In windows 7 I read that you should only run it when you hard drive is 15% + fragmented and don't run it more than once a year because running it too often can damage your hard drive. Is this still the case with win 10 or has something been changed?

:)

CreeperKing, Jun 28, 2019
  2. Pawan1709 Win User

Disk Defragmenter runs but when finished it now shows 14% fragmented.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Provide us with the below details for better clarity on the issue.

• Did you perform the defragmentation internally or on an external drive?

• Do you face any performance related issues even after the defragmentation?
    You can ignore the message if you are not facing any performance related issue
    after the process is done. It might be due to some error in the reporting. Then it won’t be an issue to worry about. If that is not the case, and you are still facing performance related issues, I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it
    helps.

Step 1: Run a Disc Check on the computer.

You can perform a check disk to spot any error in your hard disk. To do so, right- click on the start button>select command prompt (admin)> type “chkdsk” and press enter.

This will display the exact errors occurring in your hard drive. Restart the computer and try Step 2.

Step 2: Perform a Disk Cleanup on your computer.

Refer the link below for steps to perform a Disk Cleanup.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Now, Run Disk Defragmentation and check if the issue persists.

Hope this information helps and let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you further.

Pawan1709, Jun 28, 2019
  3. disk defragmentation

Hi,

To defragment your hard disk:

1. Click the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Defragmenter, and then in the list of results, click Disk Defragmenter.

2. Select the disk you want to defragment.

3. Click Analyze disk to determine if the disk needs to be defragmented or not.

4. If fragmentation is above 10%, you should defragment the disk.

5. Click Defragment disk, in order to defragment the disk.

(The above method is based on Disk Defragmenter tool for Windows 8)

Code:
    [url='https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10']Upgrade to Windows 10[/url]

sayedarifuddinpallab, Jun 28, 2019
  4. John Zab Win User

Ho often should I run disk defragmenter in win 10

defragmentation

Hi Richard,

We have a couple of workarounds for defragmentation issues, try the following:

Method 1: Check your hard disk for errors in Windows 10.

• Press Windows key+X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the window that opens enter chkdsk /f.
    Method 2:
    Run System File Checker (SFC)

Method 3: Check if Disk Defragmenter service is running properly.

This service is required for performing disk defragmentation, and if it’s disable, you won’t be able to run a defragmentation tool.

• Search for services.msc.
    • Make sure that Disk Defragmenter service is set to
      manual
    • Also, make sure that following services are set to Automatic:

Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

DCOM Server Process Launcher.

RPC Endpoint Mapper.
    Let us know how it goes.

John Zab, Jun 28, 2019
Thema:

Ho often should I run disk defragmenter in win 10

1. Ho often should I run disk defragmenter in win 10 - Similar Threads - often should run

2. Can I switch users while disk defragmentation is running?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I switch users while disk defragmentation is running?: Disk defragmentation has been running for 17 hours. Current status is at pass1: 40% consolidated. I need to login into admin user account. Would it be OK if I leave the current process as it is and switch users?...
  3. Can I switch users while disk defragmentation is running?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I switch users while disk defragmentation is running?: Disk defragmentation has been running for 17 hours. Current status is at pass1: 40% consolidated. I need to login into admin user account. Would it be OK if I leave the current process as it is and switch users?...
  4. system disk defragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    system disk defragmentation: MY system drive is 94 % fragmented. used defrag command but it stops after two passes and does not optimize. I am using hp probook 4530s with windows 10 on it . Any help please....
  5. system disk defragmentation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system disk defragmentation: MY system drive is 94 % fragmented. used defrag command but it stops after two passes and does not optimize. I am using hp probook 4530s with windows 10 on it . Any help please....
  6. Disk Defragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Defragmentation: Good Morning, I have a Touchsmart computer with Windows 10 Version 1903. I was doing defragmentation of my computer this morning and ran into the following issue. Never had any problem before. C: Drive D: Drive System System showed 14% fragmented and it would...
  7. Is this disk defragmenter's problem?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is this disk defragmenter's problem?: My disk is 1tb After i merge c drive and ddrive the defragmenter stuck Then i unmerge them the disk defragmenter worked and it didnt stuck Is this the defragmenter problem or the system problem?...
  8. Disk defragmenter stuck

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk defragmenter stuck: My disk defragmenter stuck on pass 1:55 relocated After a few minute,it reoptimize again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-defragmenter-stuck/3c86ae80-939d-4aa9-89ed-1ba8f96e7550"
  9. Disk defragmenter running even though it's disabled

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk defragmenter running even though it's disabled: I just caught disk defragmenter running when I didn't want it to. Windows seems to love running things without my permission. I just doubled-checked the settings under "defragment and optimize drives" and it is off for all drives: Drives are not being optimized automatically...
  10. Disk defragmenter running even though it's disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk defragmenter running even though it's disabled: I just caught disk defragmenter running when I didn't want it to. Windows seems to love running things without my permission. I just doubled-checked the settings under "defragment and optimize drives" and it is off for all drives: Drives are not being optimized automatically...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when is it suggested to run disk defragmenter

2. how often would you use the disc defragmenter

3. You can only run Disk Defragmenter on

4. when should I run defragmenter?