Windows 10: Home Network Issue Incorrect Profile showing up on device

Discus and support Home Network Issue Incorrect Profile showing up on device in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Somewhere along the line our home network changed and we've had issues sharing files and having access between two computers. I have reset the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MarvinBoian, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Home Network Issue Incorrect Profile showing up on device

Somewhere along the line our home network changed and we've had issues sharing files and having access between two computers. I have reset the network on both and now we can at least access and share files in one direction. The outstanding problem is this: the laptop can see the desktop's name in the network, but the desktop shows the laptop's user profile and not the one associated with the desktop. On the desktop, when checking network listings, selecting desktop by its name, it shows only the user of the desktop, and selecting the laptop accesses the correct laptop user profile. Why would this be so? Hopefully I have clearly described the issue. Thanks.

:)

MarvinBoian, Jul 10, 2020
  2. jl2509 Win User

2 of 3 computers in home network only show multimedia devices

Hi

OK I understand now, This is not an issue with devices appearing as media devices, it is an issue where devices are simply not appearing in the network list.

Where do you get the "access denied, contact your network manager"?

I would suggest updating to 1809 - 17763.253
    Just to ensure that you are at the latest release and updates installed.

As you will have found, there are many posts about this issue and unfortunately there are many proposed resolutions. Enabling SMB 1.0 and the Services listed below normally resolves the issue.

• Function Discovery Provider Host - Automatic
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication - Automatic
    • DNS Client - Automatic
    • SSDP Discovery - Automatic
    • UPnP Device Host - Automatic
    Older and non compatible devices need SMB 1.0 to be visible on the network and this would need to be enabled on all devices as well not just the PC you are describing.

To recap....

Can you see all devices in network devices as you would expect on the other PCs/Laptops?
    Can you ping the devices by IP and by Name? Can you access the PCs via command line \\PCName\Share
    ------
    If you have ensured SMB 1.0 is enabled, SMB Direct, as per the image image below

Home Network Issue Incorrect Profile showing up on device [​IMG]

Then I can only suggest corrupt registry settings.
    try running sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt to check for any integrity violations.

then try and force the settings again, try clearing the the SMB 1.0 and SMB Direct settings completely and restarting, then select them as per the image above followed by a restart.

Please post back with updates

jl2509, Jul 10, 2020
  3. Windows 10 notebook not showing up in network devices

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it fixes the issue:

• Right click on the Network Icon from the right bottom of the screen to open Network and Sharing Center.

• Click on View network connections.

• Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.

• Select the Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver and Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder check boxes, and then click OK and Close.

• Click on Change advanced sharing settings.

• Click the chevron to expand the Home or Work network profile.

• Click Turn on network discovery, and then click Save changes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    Hope this will fix the issue, if not let us know with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Giridhar J, Jul 10, 2020
  4. Home Network Issue Incorrect Profile showing up on device

Network devices listed under Unknown in Device Manager

I have a Dell Inspiron M731R laptop upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Home 64-Bit that suddenly quit connecting to the home network. Was using wireless, so switched to an Ethernet cable, but still no luck. I just discovered that ALL of the network-related devices are now listed under an "Unknown" tab in the Device Manager. A check of properties of each item in that folder says they are all working properly, but that obviously isn't the case. I tried uninstalling each of the 4 items, but when they are recognized again they still show up under the Unknown tab. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Home Network Issue Incorrect Profile showing up on device [​IMG]

putermaker, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

Home Network Issue Incorrect Profile showing up on device

1. Home Network Issue Incorrect Profile showing up on device - Similar Threads - Home Network Issue

2. HELP: Windows 10 PC shows up as a media device on the home network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HELP: Windows 10 PC shows up as a media device on the home network: I have a 12 year old home built desk top PC running Windows 10. I want to set up a USB external drive as a back up drive which is connected to my desktop PC and connected wireless to my Windows and Mac laptops. When I search my network, my desktop is a media device and opens...
  3. Devices / Computers not showing up in Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Devices / Computers not showing up in Network: For some reason I can't see any computers on the network anymore, not even my own PC. It used to work just fine, but now nothing is showing up inside the Network 0 items and I didn't changed anything at all I didn't installed any new program, didn't update/remove any...
  4. Devices / Computers not showing up in Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Devices / Computers not showing up in Network: For some reason I can't see any computers on the network anymore, not even my own PC. It used to work just fine, but now nothing is showing up inside the Network 0 items and I didn't changed anything at all I didn't installed any new program, didn't update/remove any...
  5. Device showing up on network

Device showing up on network: After the recent Windows update we are seeing a new device showing up on our home network that has not been there before. It comes and goes. Is this someone trying to hack into our network. We do have an Alexa dot but this is the first time that we have been seeing this...
  6. Random Devices showing up on my home network.

Random Devices showing up on my home network.: I am hoping this question will be a quick answer from a techy who has more knowledge about this kind of thing than I do, I have weird devices showing up on my private home network and I have had some pretty bad things happen to me before from something similar so I am still...
  7. Unknown Devices showing up in Network

Unknown Devices showing up in Network: So, I've encountered this once before, but it's recently happened again. Got a device named 'austin' showing up in my Windows network section of Explorer. Its vendor was labelled 'Amazon', and it had no IP address - only a MAC address. To double my confusion, when I...
  8. Home Network Computers Not Showing Up

Home Network Computers Not Showing Up: I have my laptop and PC connected to the same network for file sharing, however my PC refuses to show up the network even when opening the network tab from the PC itself, even though it does show the laptop. While trying to fix this problem, someone recommended doing a...
  9. Devices do not show up in Network

Devices do not show up in Network: After I recently changed router settings, I could not see any of the computers on my local network and now I cannot see the computer folder in file explorer/network. I cannot even see my own computer. My computer can be accessed by another computer on the network. How do I...
  10. Unknown device mt7662_p2p showing in Home Network

Unknown device mt7662_p2p showing in Home Network: Recently the following device started showing up in my Home Network. It says Mediatek mt7662_p2p, but there are no other information available on the properties. I assume it could be a wireless display in one of my neighbors home, but I would expect to see some more...