Windows 10: Home network - not all computers can see each other

Discus and support Home network - not all computers can see each other in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Here's my problem. We have three PCs (one a laptop) connected to our router. Mine, is W10 Pro x64, hardwires into the router; my wife has a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JeremyP99, Dec 11, 2017.

1. JeremyP99 Win User

Home network - not all computers can see each other

Hello,

Here's my problem. We have three PCs (one a laptop) connected to our router. Mine, is W10 Pro x64, hardwires into the router; my wife has a W10 Home x64 laptop, connected by an ethernet power plug, and downstairs we have a W7 Pro x64 working as a media server.

All are set up to use the same Workgroup.
    All have the same advanced private sharing options.
    All have been rebooted multiple times, as has been the router.
    Nothing changes

On PC1, I can sometimes see PC2, but not at the moment. The PC itself is not listed in "Network"
    On PC2, all 3 PCs can be seen
    On PC3, it can only see itself

PC1 has Homegroup activate - it always fails however when I try to activate it on either of the other 2 PCs.

This is very frustrating, as we all need to share each others machines. Ho won earth can I diagnose and fix this, as it is driving me mad!

Thanks in advance

Jeremy Poynton

:)

JeremyP99, Dec 11, 2017
  2. GaryW2 Win User

Windows 10 PC can't see other PCs on network

Dell4's solution worked for me.

I had to do a "Network Reset" for each of the three computers on my home network. Now each computer can see the other networked computers and browse their folders.

GaryW2, Dec 11, 2017
  3. fuzzcan Win User
    Home Networking

Have recently tried networking my home computers , which all run Windows 10. As well I have install nas4free on an older computer to use for backups. Cannot see any shares or other computers on any of the windows machines.

My Mac on the other hand can see all computers on the network including nas4free. **** Microsoft? I have tried for hours to get the Windows computers to recognize each other but to no avail. How do I fix this?

Thanks

fuzzcan, Dec 11, 2017
  4. Clint Win User

I had a similar problem. This is what fixed mine. Settings> Network at the bottom click on Network Reset. It takes 5 minuets for it to reboot. When it does, there will be a box asking "Do you want this PC to be Discovered". Click yes.

Home network - not all computers can see each other [​IMG]

Clint, Dec 11, 2017
  5. JeremyP99 Win User
    Neat. I will try that. Many thanks. Does the reset clear anything else - DNS settings, for example?

JeremyP99, Dec 11, 2017
  6. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Dec 11, 2017
  7. Rogerfp Win User
    Hi Jeremy

Try this on the two Pro PC’s

Run gpedit.msc
    Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Network>Lanman Workstation
    Enable insecure guest logon = enabled

Let us know if it fixes the problem

Roger

Rogerfp, Dec 12, 2017
  8. kado897 Win User

Thanks. That fixed my issue too.

kado897, Dec 12, 2017
  9. JeremyP99 Win User
    Network reset worked perfectly, and one of the PCs had a default DNS server which I changed to use OpenDns as on the other two PCs. All can now see each other. Many thanks, and thanks also to Ed for the link, that's very useful. I shall note down all suggestions in case needed down the line.

Jeremy

JeremyP99, Dec 12, 2017
  10. JeremyP99 Win User
    Nice while it lasted. I switch the downstairs W7 PC off every night. The next day, it could not see my upstairs PC. The folder I had mapped as a network drive **from** mpPC is still visible and accessible - but not my PC. Its very tiresome that after all these years Windows STILL cannot maintain a super simple home network. And as noted, Homegroup is a shamble.

Any more suggestions? I want all three PCs to be able to see each other all the time. Not that much to ask of Windows is it?

JeremyP99, Dec 16, 2017
  11. kado897 Win User
    Check that SMB1 is installed and active. Mine had been partially disabled.

kado897, Dec 16, 2017
  12. Clint Win User
    Thanks for the tip Kado897

Clint, Dec 17, 2017
  13. Eagle51 Win User

Just an FYI ...
    You may want to uncheck SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal or at least go to Task Scheduler Libray > Microsoft > Windows > SMB and disable the task it adds for SMBv1 removal.

• If the SMBv1 client is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the computer being turned off), it automatically uninstalls itself.
    • Automatic removal of SMB1 after 15 days is a one-time operation. If an administrator re-installs SMB1, no further attempts will be made to uninstall it.

From this link ... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709

Eagle51, Dec 17, 2017
  14. JeremyP99 Win User
    I shall try that. God knows what people with no tech skills at all do when hitting such a problem.! Thanks, will report back.

JeremyP99, Dec 17, 2017
  15. kado897 Win User
    Thanks for that. It's last run time was about when I started having issues. I've disabled them now just in case.

kado897, Dec 17, 2017
Thema:

1. Home network - not all computers can see each other - Similar Threads - Home network computers

2. my computer cannot see itself on network but can see other computers in home network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my computer cannot see itself on network but can see other computers in home network.: I have 4 computers on a home network. One computer can not see itself in NETORK on File Explorer. The other 3 computers all running Win 10 21H2 can see each other but not the one computer that can see itself. I tried the suggestion of enabling SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing...
  3. my computer cannot see itself on network but can see other computers in home network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my computer cannot see itself on network but can see other computers in home network.: I have 4 computers on a home network. One computer can not see itself in NETORK on File Explorer. The other 3 computers all running Win 10 21H2 can see each other but not the one computer that can see itself. I tried the suggestion of enabling SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing...
  4. my computer cannot see itself on network but can see other computers in home network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Cannot see home network but can see other networks

Cannot see home network but can see other networks: My WiFi network is no longer showing up on my Windows 10 PC. I have checked to make sure all discovery is on and I can see other networks but not my Home Network. I have 20 other device connected so I know it is not the router and I have another Windows 10 machine connected....
  6. windows 10 computers not seeing each other on home network

windows 10 computers not seeing each other on home network: I have two computers on home windows 10 network both up to date and on the same side of the router. Both are OEM Home versions of Windows 10. I tried all the different suggested tweeks and workarounds suggested in forums that I found. I occasionally get to see the other...
  7. Why can't networked computers see each other?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why can't networked computers see each other?: I have two machines connected through an ethernet switch which is hooked to my home router. But each machine does not appear in the network folder of the other. Any idea why? Thanks. submitted by /u/HiawathaBray [link] [comments]...
  8. Home network - can't get all PCs to see each other

Home network - can't get all PCs to see each other: I have a home network with 2 PCs (C & B) and 2 laptops (C & D) all running Windows 10 with latest update. Using File Explorer - Network - A can see B & self (A) B can see A & self (B) C can see A & B but not self (C) D can see A & B and self (D) but not C A can see and...
  9. PC'S on a Home Network Can't see each other

PC'S on a Home Network Can't see each other: I have 2 machines, 1 Windoze 7 Pro 32bit and 1 Windoze 10 Home 64 bit both wire connected to the same router. No matter what I do, the machines can't see each other. That includes all the sharing options, advanced, etc. All Allows are checked and I have admin rights on both...
  10. See Other Computer on Home Network

See Other Computer on Home Network: Tried seems everything. One computer on home network can see and access public folders of the other 4 computers. But, other 4 computers cannot do same. All are running updated Windows 10. All sharing and network discovery turned on. Went out to command prompt as...