Windows 10: Home Network Print Problem - Need help - Works fine on 2 of 3 computer

Discus and support Home Network Print Problem - Need help - Works fine on 2 of 3 computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi - Hopefully someone has some ideas as to why I am having the issue that I am experiencing. Here is a rundown of the three computers - 1) Personal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rfdes, Aug 1, 2020.

1. rfdes Win User

Home Network Print Problem - Need help - Works fine on 2 of 3 computer

Hi -
    Hopefully someone has some ideas as to why I am having the issue that I am experiencing.

Here is a rundown of the three computers -
    1) Personal Desktop - Win 10 - MS Defender - Workgroup:WORKGROUP
    2) Personal Laptop- Lenovo - Win 10- MS Defender - Workgroup:WORKGROUP
    3) Work Laptop -Dell - Win 10 - Symantec Endpoint - Domain:GALEN

Personal Linux Print server (Netgear ReadyNAS) - Workgroup:MSHome

The Print server is set for sharing and all three computers have Discovery/File sharing enabled.
    Computers 1 & 2 work flawlessly recognizing and using the shared network printer on my local network.

However...
    Computer 3 struggles to 'see' the network printer. Sometimes it works, but 99% of the time computer 3 never finds the print server. I disabled the Symantec Virus tool but this did not fix the problem. I am wondering whether the fact that computer 3 is on a domain is causing my problem. I thought that setting the printer and computers for 'sharing' would mean that the domain/workgroup is a non-issue. Is this correct?

Does anyone have some tips for solving my printer access problem?

Thanks -
    Jim

:)

rfdes, Aug 1, 2020
  2. Jan123 Win User

Windows 10 Home Won't Print to Remote Printer

I have three computers.
    Machine 1: Windows 10 pro, has the USB Brother HL-5040 printer
    Machine 2: Windows 10 pro, prints OK to the remote printer.
    Machine 3: Windows 10 home, Used to print, but not anymore (THIS IS THE PROBLEM).
    I’ve tried everything that I can think of, and would appreciate any suggestions.
    I did these steps on Machine 3 that did not work.

1. Remove the printer device.
    2. Add a Printer
    3. The printer that I want isn’t listed
    4. Select a shared printer by name
    5. Browse
    6. Select the displayed Machine 1.
    7. Select the displayed Printer.
    8. Next
    9. Failure “Connect to Printer”.
    10. Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or Hostname
    11. Next
    12. Set Hostname to Machine 2, and set port name.
    13. Detecting TCP/IP Port
    14. Additional Port information required.
    15. Device Type – Standard, Brother Port Server
    16. Next
    17. Detecting the Driver Model
    18. Install The Print Driver
    19. Select Brother and Brother HL-5040
    20. Next
    21. Replace the Current Driver
    22. Printer Name (setting it to HL-5040)
    23. Next
    24. Do not share this printer
    25. Next
    26. You’ve successfully added “HL-5040”
    27. Finish
    Printing on Machine 3 puts the document in the print queue, which reports error printing.
    Printing from Machine 2 to the printer on Machine 1 works perfectly.
    All three machines are in the same HomeGroup. Machine 3 can access the shared files from Machine 1.

Jan123, Aug 1, 2020
  3. Berton Win User
    Network Printing Not Working

This page talks about older versions of Windows but may be of help:
    How to Configure a Print Server: 5 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
    I haven't set up a computer as a Print and File Server since the late '90s [in a shop I worked in], trying to recall if it was a Win95, Win98 or Win98SE machine but it was on a WinNT 4 Network. The printer was an HP Laserjet 4, used the Parallel Port.

Berton, Aug 1, 2020
  4. jl2509 Win User

2 of 3 computers in home network only show multimedia devices

Hi

OK I understand now, This is not an issue with devices appearing as media devices, it is an issue where devices are simply not appearing in the network list.

Where do you get the "access denied, contact your network manager"?

I would suggest updating to 1809 - 17763.253
    Just to ensure that you are at the latest release and updates installed.

As you will have found, there are many posts about this issue and unfortunately there are many proposed resolutions. Enabling SMB 1.0 and the Services listed below normally resolves the issue.

• Function Discovery Provider Host - Automatic
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication - Automatic
    • DNS Client - Automatic
    • SSDP Discovery - Automatic
    • UPnP Device Host - Automatic
    Older and non compatible devices need SMB 1.0 to be visible on the network and this would need to be enabled on all devices as well not just the PC you are describing.

To recap....

Can you see all devices in network devices as you would expect on the other PCs/Laptops?
    Can you ping the devices by IP and by Name? Can you access the PCs via command line \\PCName\Share
    ------
    If you have ensured SMB 1.0 is enabled, SMB Direct, as per the image image below

Home Network Print Problem - Need help - Works fine on 2 of 3 computer [​IMG]

Then I can only suggest corrupt registry settings.
    try running sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt to check for any integrity violations.

then try and force the settings again, try clearing the the SMB 1.0 and SMB Direct settings completely and restarting, then select them as per the image above followed by a restart.

Please post back with updates

jl2509, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Home Network Print Problem - Need help - Works fine on 2 of 3 computer - Similar Threads - Home Network Print

2. Need help sharing files on home network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help sharing files on home network: I have a home private network. It works fine when I use the laptop to view files on the desktop, but when I try to use the desktop to view files on the laptop, I get a window to enter my network credentials to connect to the laptop. The desktop is brand new and came with...
  3. Need help sharing files on home network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help sharing files on home network: I have a home private network. It works fine when I use the laptop to view files on the desktop, but when I try to use the desktop to view files on the laptop, I get a window to enter my network credentials to connect to the laptop. The desktop is brand new and came with...
  4. networking print problems.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    networking print problems.: test page failed to print. would you like to view the print troubleshooter for assistance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networking-print-problems/7536c75b-d4cd-4670-a27b-7b7dd7c8dc72
  5. Create Home Network: 1 modem 3 Computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create Home Network: 1 modem 3 Computers: I have three PC computers all using the same modem to connect to the internet two on Windows 10, one Windows 7. Ethernet cables connect them. I would like to create a home network to share printers and software. Can I do so using only the modem or must I purchase another...
  6. How to put 2 home computers in a same network

How to put 2 home computers in a same network: I have 2 computers at home: one desktop computer running windows10 version 1803 and one laptop computer running Windows 10 version 1903. I use wireless. How to put 2 computers in a same network, so that I can share. Before it is Ok. Now it disappears. Please help. Thanks...
  7. 2 of 3 computers in home network only show multimedia devices

2 of 3 computers in home network only show multimedia devices: Since some time two out of three computers in my home network only show multimedia devices including the two other computers. All the permissions in home sharing are correct for connection without password. The shared folders can be accessed by anyone. What is wrong? 125756
  8. Home computers are on 2 separate networks

Home computers are on 2 separate networks: My two home computers are on two separate networks - Network 3 and Network 4. How do I get them on one single network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/home-computers-are-on-2-separate-networks/cfbd0d51-4aca-42d4-8ddb-e10ad6453545
  9. Sharing 2 Win 10 computers on a home network

Sharing 2 Win 10 computers on a home network: I have tried to do this but get asked for name and password, I've tried using both on both machines but always says wrong. Every time I search it points to turning password off in Network and Sharing Centre but this is not an option on either machine. Any ideas please?...
  10. fine print

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    fine print: is the fine print pop up virous or what ???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning-windows_10/fine-print/c0a2d905-eea5-4cdb-83da-70f959cb5e49