Windows 10: Home to Pro Upgrade

Discus and support Home to Pro Upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an old Windows 8 Pro key that I want to use on my Windows 10 Home PC. When I try to use that key under "Change Key" it just says you can't use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ryley2637, May 12, 2016.

1. ryley2637 Win User

Home to Pro Upgrade

I have an old Windows 8 Pro key that I want to use on my Windows 10 Home PC. When I try to use that key under "Change Key" it just says you can't use this key to make the upgrade. Microsoft's website says to use a specific key instead, which will activate the process to perform the upgrade. It will restart the computer, and after that it should then accept the 8 Pro key, but once my computer restarts nothing has happened and it's right back where I was. How can I force Windows to start the upgrade process? Thanks!

:)

ryley2637, May 12, 2016

2. product key and Windows 10 upgrade

No, but you could upgrade to Windows 10 home, then buy the Pro add-on so you can upgrade. Normally Windows 10 Pro costs $199, but if you already have Windows 10 Home edition, you can upgrade to Pro edition for only $99 instead (which is the same cost
    as upgrading Windows 7 home to 7 pro). See "How to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro".

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], May 12, 2016
  3. upgrade from windows 8.1 home to windows 10 professional

WYSIWYG.

Win8.1 Home upgrades to Win10 Home, Win8.1 Pro upgrades to Win10 Pro, etc.

<EDIT> Once you've upgraded from Win8.1 Home to Win10 Home, you can then purchase an upgrade to Win10 Pro.
    </EDIT>

PA Bear - MS MVP, May 12, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Home to Pro Upgrade

Change the product key to VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

There is one danger. If your Windows 8 Pro product key is blocked from online activation by Microsoft, the above Windows 10 Pro generic product key will leave you with an unactivated Windows 10 Pro that you won't be able to activate with your Windows 8 Pro product key.

NavyLCDR, May 12, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I find it interesting that Microsoft themselves now shows the generic product key upgrade method on their own website under:
    "Upgrade using a Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro product key "

NavyLCDR, May 12, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    When I upgraded to Pro from a Win8.1 key, before the Activation tab was added, I went to About in the settings app, clicked "Change product key or upgrade" and it opened the store. From there I had the option to buy a key or enter one if I already had one(which I did) and then the upgrade process started.

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Home to Pro Upgrade

1. Home to Pro Upgrade - Similar Threads - Home Pro Upgrade

2. home to pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    home to pro upgrade: Looking and getting a new w10 or w11 home box i need to upgrade it to the pro version but cannot find the cost of such, any help ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/home-to-pro-upgrade/993c1c08-a3ad-4361-ab7f-a74bed0e7e13
  3. home to pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    home to pro upgrade: Looking and getting a new w10 or w11 home box i need to upgrade it to the pro version but cannot find the cost of such, any help ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/home-to-pro-upgrade/993c1c08-a3ad-4361-ab7f-a74bed0e7e13
  4. Home to Pro Upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Home to Pro Upgrade: We ordered 4 Computers with Home on accident, We want to upgrade them to Pro, However the purse strings are controlled far away. How can we upgrade these 4 machines without the person buying the upgrade here or having their financial info? I'm hoping there is a way they could...
  5. Home to Pro Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Home to Pro Upgrade: We ordered 4 Computers with Home on accident, We want to upgrade them to Pro, However the purse strings are controlled far away. How can we upgrade these 4 machines without the person buying the upgrade here or having their financial info? I'm hoping there is a way they could...
  6. Home to Pro Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. upgrade home to pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade home to pro: hi i have a legal windows 10 home, want to upgrade to pro with legal and does not accept the upgrade to pro ,does not activate. i tried to install home with legacy or uefi and nothing 167624
  8. upgrade home to pro

in Windows 10 Support
    upgrade home to pro: hi i have a legal windows 10 home, want to upgrade to pro with legal and does not accept the upgrade to pro ,does not activate. i tried to install home with legacy or uefi and nothing 167624
  9. Upgrade Home to Pro

Upgrade Home to Pro: I understand that my Microsoft Account allows me to install Windows 10 on multiple computers. I currently have one desktop and two laptops running Windows 10 Pro v. 1909. One of those laptops is dying and I have replaced it with a new laptop with Windows 10 Home v.1909...
  10. Home to Pro upgrade

Home to Pro upgrade: I paid for an upgrade on one of my devices from Windows 10 home to Pro but it failed. This was over a year ago. I have done a clean install of Windows and want to try the upgrade again. I can't find out where the original purchased upgrade is registered. If I try and...