Windows 10: Home wired ethernet network, duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names

Discus and support Home wired ethernet network, duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Two of the three desktop PCs on my wired network are named Network 2, with the third PC named Network 4. I have researched and found ways to rename... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FenglingWaters, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Home wired ethernet network, duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names

Two of the three desktop PCs on my wired network are named Network 2, with the third PC named Network 4. I have researched and found ways to rename them, but before I do, two questions: Is there a performance or operational risk related to the duplicate Network 2's, and is there any utility to the network naming conventions, like prioritization? Thanks.

:)

FenglingWaters, Apr 26, 2020

2. Windows 10; Network Name

Hi,

The Registry steps follower that resolved the issue.

But could you tell us why it appears to select a network status name based on your past Wi-Fi network connections, and then applies it to your wired Ethernet connection?

Thanks.

Mason

masontseng, Apr 26, 2020
  3. R.Morris Win User
    Windows 10; Network Name

I have the same problem.

I have both WiFi and Ethernet on my home network. I use Ethernet in my home office as its out of range of my WiFi but for some strange reason my Ethernet Network Name has now been renamed to be the same as my WiFi SSID name?

This is what I would usually see in Network Sharing Centre:-

When connected to Wired Network

Network Name = HomeNet

Connections = Ethernet

When connected to WiFi Network with SSID (HomeWirelessNet)

Network Name = HomeWirelessNet

Connections = WiFi (HomeWirelessNet)

However, for some reason I now see the following:-

When connected to Wired Network

Connections = Ethernet

When connected to WiFi Network with SSID (HomeWirelessNet)

Connections = WiFi (HomeWirelessNet)

No matter if connected by Ethernet or WiFi my Network Name seems to show as the SSID of my WiFi network?

I can use either secpol.msc or regedit to change my Ethernet Network Name to what I want, but as soon as I re-connect to my WiFi network in the evening when I'm in the living room, the Ethernet Network Name is immediately overwritten again with the SSID
    of my WiFi Network as before, I'm right back to square one again. FRUSTRATING!!

So is Microsoft saying I have to edit the registry to rename my Ethernet Network Name every time I disconnect from my WiFi network?

This is ridiculous, come on Microsoft, get this fixed asap.

R.Morris, Apr 26, 2020
  4. Hadramawt Win User

Home wired ethernet network, duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names

How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connection Network names in one Name?

Hi,

I am connected to one Router. However, when connected wirelessly, I see there is a network name 'MikroTik- Mohammad'. However, when I am connected with a wired cable, I see the network name as 'MikroTik-BCEDB'. As a result, when I am connected wirelessly and via wired cable to the same router, I see two network names, although I am connected to one router. This is strange.

Home wired ethernet network,  duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names [​IMG]

Home wired ethernet network,  duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names [​IMG]

How to merge Ethernet and WiFi connection Network names in one Network name?

Hadramawt, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

Home wired ethernet network, duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names

1. Home wired ethernet network, duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names - Similar Threads - Home wired ethernet

2. Home network name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Home network name: Hi,When I troubleshooted my hard wired hard wire home network, I got a message showing the path to another PC was't correct. I noticed it related to my Home Network Name.How can I view/access/rename my Home Network name in Win10?Thanks...
  3. Home network name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Home network name: Hi,When I troubleshooted my hard wired hard wire home network, I got a message showing the path to another PC was't correct. I noticed it related to my Home Network Name.How can I view/access/rename my Home Network name in Win10?Thanks...
  4. Home network name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Network 'names'

Network 'names': Until recently I could select which network to connect to, including an external device that only uses wifi and does not need internet. Now, instead of names for the networks, downstairs, upstairs, mydevice, etc., it shows Connected to local area 2, or 3, etc. I need those...
  6. Ethernet Network Name

Ethernet Network Name: Today, on Windows 10 latest version, I connected to WiFi for the first time while connected to ethernet simultaneously. My ethernet connection took on the name of the wi-fi connection. So now, my ethernet connection has the same name as one of my wi fi networks. Still works...
  7. Network Names

Network Names: Hallo folks! I have four internet channels.. 2 wifi, and 2 ethernet. Now, when I install the two wifi channels I have sometimes back a wifi24000 and another wifi5000. These names works perfect, but regarding the Ethernet connections, my computer is connecting to the...
  8. Change the Ethernet network name

Change the Ethernet network name: Good day. Is it possible to change this name? If so, what is the exact procedure? Thank sou, Stanislav [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-ethernet-network-name/08efe2b4-3ddb-4e91-8020-310374f4fa02
  9. Home network user name and password

Home network user name and password: Where can I find the Windows 10 Home network user name and password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/home-network-user-name-and-password/535b8e7f-727f-4d65-b9c0-71ed8d7e1e65"
  10. Network Name

Network Name: In Windows 10, how do I change the Network Name of my Local Area Connection? Do NOT suggest I run secpol.msc, because the Windows Run command says it can't find secpol.msc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-name/7dece558-e1ec-4da0-8079-2370ba305189