Windows 10: Homegroup Continually Dropping

Discus and support Homegroup Continually Dropping in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, I have a customer that has a Homegroup setup for two of his computers. Every couple of months he'll call in stating his Homegroup doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by zach, Dec 18, 2017.

1. zach Win User

Homegroup Continually Dropping

Hello all,

I have a customer that has a Homegroup setup for two of his computers. Every couple of months he'll call in stating his Homegroup doesn't work. When looking at his computers, they both say they are joined to a Homegroup. However, when navigating to it, there aren't any options within. I'll then go through the following process:

1) Turn off one of the laptops

2) Leave the Homegroup (delete the registry item if necessary)

3) Restart the laptop and repeat on laptop #2

4) Create a new Homegroup

5) Join laptop #2 to the Homegroup

6) Navigate to the Homegroup and verify everything is working

Am I missing a step somewhere? Is it a bug within Windows 10? It never seems to last for more than a couple months at a time. This past attempt lasted ~10 days. I want to figure out a permanent solution to this issue.

Thank you

:)

2. Homegroup icon and all of its content seems to have disappeared

Well you could also use the "Network" section of File Explorer instead of HomeGroup, but that's just a longer more complicated way of reaching the same files. So it's probably easier to just continue using the homegroup option.

And remember, since those files are stored on your other computers, those computers have to powered up for you to be able to reach those files.

If you wanted to copy the files to your own local computer's hard drive and be able to use them without the other computer being turned on (and without using homegroup), you could drag-and-drop the file on your own documents or desktop (or whatever) folder.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Dec 18, 2017
  3. Home network permissions not working with W10 computers

You can recommend what you want, but it has nothing to do with the problem. I have a different ticket about homegroup, already mentioning that homegroup troubleshooter didn't show anything. I've received a response saying that Homegroup is broken and MS
    is dropping it, that's why I'm looking at non-Homegroup networking on this thread.

If you're clueless, stay off of the community.

ithinktfiam, Dec 18, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

It's better to just use workgroups home group has always been a mess one of the problems seems to be that major updates like creators the whole o/s is rebuilt and as such it then appears as a new PC which makes it throw a wobbler

Samuria, Dec 18, 2017
  5. dmholt57 Win User
    Microsoft has dropped Homegroup in the latest build, looks like it is going away. *Nerd

dmholt57, Dec 19, 2017
  6. zach Win User
    Thank you for the suggestion. I implemented that today and is working like a charm! So far anyway...

Sounds like that's for the best.

zach, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Homegroup Continually Dropping - Similar Threads - Homegroup Continually Dropping

2. duplicate display drop out continually

in Windows 10 Gaming
    duplicate display drop out continually: tried both wifi, hmdi and hard connection - the duplicate display still drops out approx every 15 to 35 minutes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-display-drop-out-continually/f4473008-7daf-415b-97a5-af0213200e16
  3. duplicate display drop out continually

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    duplicate display drop out continually: tried both wifi, hmdi and hard connection - the duplicate display still drops out approx every 15 to 35 minutes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-display-drop-out-continually/f4473008-7daf-415b-97a5-af0213200e16
  4. WiFi is continuously dropping and returning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi is continuously dropping and returning: Hi I've been having a problem for a while now where the wifi on my desktop pc has been dropping out and then coming back near continously. Times vary but itll typically drop for a minute or so when i have no internet at all come back speed nominally 30Mb/s according to...
  5. my internet continuously drops

my internet continuously drops: my internet contentiously drops out but, only on my PC. i've tried both an Ethernet connection and wireless and got the troubleshoot error couldn't detect proxy settings...
  6. Homegroup

Homegroup: My ability to use homegroup has disappeared in the 1803 versions of Win10. Why? What is being done about this? When? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/homegroup/2e78b13a-90d7-4791-87f7-d7539aa9c04d
  7. laptop dropped from homegroup

in Windows 10 Customization
    laptop dropped from homegroup: The laptop dropped out of the Homegroup. It had factory installed Windows 10 but I have Windows 7 running on it to match with the other computers in the Homegroup. I can't even find "Homegroup" in settings on the Laptop....
  8. Random NDIS.SYS crashes and drops from the Homegroup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random NDIS.SYS crashes and drops from the Homegroup: Hi, Decided to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 and already starting to regret this decision. I'm getting Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal NDIS.SYS BSOD errors several times a day. This is happening randomly. Most often shortly after the screensaver turns on but other times this...
  9. Homegroups

Homegroups: It is high time to report my experiences with the W10 installation to you. Microsoft pushes all of us to do this before end of June. 1. Do a thorough backup of all your data. 2. If you use the attached file, and invoke it, it does the whole job by itself. You can go...
  10. HomeGrouping

HomeGrouping: Hi all...definately need you urgently In 10240 I could network to two other pcs in my home but not after the 1025 upgrade What' the trick please ?*Sad 19423