Windows 10: Homegroup is working but can't open folders

Discus and support Homegroup is working but can't open folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two desktop computers in a Homegroup, connected by a Netgear router. But my problem is that I can only open folders in one direction (from one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by zzzoom, Mar 18, 2017.

1. zzzoom Win User

Homegroup is working but can't open folders

I have two desktop computers in a Homegroup, connected by a Netgear router. But my problem is that I can only open folders in one direction (from one PC to other is OK, reverse is not).

PC #1 is Windows 10 Pro 1607 x64, using a Netgear Wi-Fi adapter. Disabled the firewall.

PC #2 is Windows 7-SP1 Pro x64, plugged directly into the router (Ethernet). For test, Windows firewall disabled, uninstalled the AV.

I can create a new Homegroup, join both computers, and see and open folders on the Win 10 PC from the Win 7 PC. But from the Win 10 PC I can see the folders on the Win 7 PC, however clicking on them does nothing. No errors.

I have checked that all necessary clients and protocols are enabled in both network adapters. I have checked that IPv6 is enabled for LAN in the router. All necessary services are started on both PC's.

I know the network path is working, because the Win 7 PC is used as a HTPC in the living room, and has a web server that I can access OK from a browser on the WIN 10 PC.

I have rebooted after every change, even deleted the files from the peernetworking folder. I am stumped.

:)

zzzoom, Mar 18, 2017
  2. Karnac44 Win User

Unable to Start Peer Name Resolution Protocol Service

Though I had some trouble finding the MachineKeys folder (maybe it's hidden?) this solution worked perfectly to fix my homegroup problem. Thanks, CrazyRabbit!

Why can't the Windows troubleshooter just tell you why you can't get the homegroup to work?

Karnac44, Mar 18, 2017
  3. MenyEi Win User
    Establishing home network

Thanks Qui for your reply.

The build ID is 14393.1066

Both PCs are connected with wired connection.

I see the folder that I shared in the Network folder on the Win10 explorer but not on the Win7 (on Win7 Network folder I do not see the Win10 PC ID).

One another thing regarding the HomeGroup - I have HomeGroup entity in the Win7 but when I open the HomeGroup page in the Win10, I get the message that there is no HomeGroup at the network...

Both PCs are connected through switch with my VDSL router and both have internet connection (as it seemed to me that there might be connectivity issues as Win10 can't recognize the configured HomeGroup on the other PC).

Thanks

MenyEi, Mar 18, 2017
  4. Homegroup is working but can't open folders

Hi zzzoom.

When you say you can see files on the Windows 7 machine from your Windows 10 can you see / open files in the Public directory?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 20, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    Have you tried mapping a drive to it does it have a folder shared with correct permisions? try from a cmd prompt

net use e: \\pcname or ip\sharename password /user:user pass and username are on the pc your connecting to not the pc your on

Samuria, Mar 20, 2017
  6. zzzoom Win User
    I can only see the folder icons, but not open them.

zzzoom, Mar 20, 2017
  7. zzzoom Win User
    I hear ya, but I shouldn't have to map any drives or set file permissions to use Homegroup, correct? It works OK from the Windows 7 PC to access the Windows 10 Homegroup shared files without doing that.

zzzoom, Mar 20, 2017
  8. Homegroup is working but can't open folders

Hi zzzoom

Could I ask you to please right click on your network icon, open network and sharing, the click on "Change Advance Sharing settings.

If you scroll down there is a section on your 7 machine "Password Protected Sharing" and below it "Homegroup". Confirm how you want it. On the 10 machine there is the same setting screen although it doesn't have "Password Protected Sharing"

Disable firewalls, which I think you said you did already for testing (unless it immediately works). Just for record, are you current in patching?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 21, 2017
  9. zzzoom Win User
    Hi Ken, thanks for your feedback!

My "Password Protected Sharing" is turned off.

zzzoom, Mar 21, 2017
  10. and if you right click on say Documents, and then click on "Share with" is home group enabled?

Within 10 and 7 there are trouble shooters for sharing files / accessing files. Might be worth trying.

I know this sounds crazy, but did you ever shut off router for a minute and then try. Stranger things have happened.

Ken

11. zzzoom Win User
    I ran the Homegroup troubleshooter, which found no issues. If I try to share folders with the legacy method, I get this error on the Win 10 desktop: Error code: 0x80070035 The network path was not found.

Out of curiosity, I started up my laptop with Win10 Home 1511 (pre-anniversary update), joined the same Homegroup and it worked! Could access the Win7 PC Homegroup just fine. My Desktop that can't connect with the Win 7 machine has Win 10 version 1607, up to date, except for the Mar 2017 updates.

zzzoom, Mar 21, 2017
  12. The puzzle grows. There was another member who posted he lost his casting. Removed the most recent updates and it started working again. You on the other hand have not installed the March updates and it does not work. Maybe try installand see if they have fix enclosed. (LOL)

I can't remember if you reset your Windows 10 network on the machine that doesn't access properly but that may be the next step. Then rejoin Homegroup. You will lose wireless passwords. If you wish to try Start => Settings => Network and Internet

scroll down right hand side, click reset network.

There are these four commands that reset a bunch of things, indicated in brackets (do key in bracketed info). You may wish to try before network reset. Entered to command prompt(admin)

ipconfig /flushdns (Clear the dns cache)
    nbtstat -RR (release and refesh NetBIOS names)
    netsh int ip reset (reset ip settings)
    netsh winsock reset (Reset Winsock Catalog)

You will have to reboot. As with any change it is always a good idea to have a restore point and given its recent flakiness an Image created with Macrium Reflect (with required boot disk). Maybe even boot media.

The plan is not to need any of these, the reality is to have a plan B.

You may wish to see if others have a better idea.

Ken

13. zzzoom Win User

Appreciate the helpful suggestions. I believe that the problem can be isolated to my Win 10 desktop PC. I do take a disk image at least once a month, so resetting the network is probably going to be my next step, if I am going to sort this out. This is an odd one for sure. Will try that tomorrow. Thanks again!

zzzoom, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Homegroup is working but can't open folders - Similar Threads - Homegroup working can't

2. Homegroup stopped working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Homegroup stopped working: When I reinstalled Windows 10 on one desktop computer it no longer has homegroup functionality to enable connection with my other 3 computers and network printers. The updated computer cannot see the Homegroup network. All computers have internet access but not to my local...
  3. Can't Access Homegroup

Can't Access Homegroup: Have a new L/T, can access the Internet but can't join an existing Home group to use my printer Believe that the existing HG doesn't exist anymore. Help!...
  4. can't connect to the homegroup

can't connect to the homegroup: Hello! At home we have 4 PCs, I used to share file using homegroups without any issues. just three days ago, I had to reinstall the windows on an HP Mini, and after that it couldn't connect to the homegroup, instead it says Create a homegroup. I have tried: -to clean the...
  5. Can't get Homegroup Password

Can't get Homegroup Password: Hi, I had to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10. However, the new install still recognizes the old homegroup and I didn't write down the password. Now I can't change the password. When I open up the homegroup window, I can join, change sharing settings, but I can't change...
  6. Can't Join or Delete Homegroup

Can't Join or Delete Homegroup: I have a 3 PC ("Server" and two others) home network. On my Server, OLDLOCALUSER created a Homegroup in Win7. I upgraded all 3 PCs from Win7 to Win10. On my Server, I changed my OLDLOCALUSER to NEWMSACCOUNT. I also created NEWMSACCOUNT on the two other PCs. I lost the...
  7. Homegroup stopped working

Homegroup stopped working: I'm not sure if it's related to the last update or not, but suddenly my homegroup started saying my other PC was offline. So I went and left it and recreated it, and sometimes it'll connect for maybe 5 minutes then disappear again. Also, it's saying almost everytime I try to...
  8. machine can't be added to Homegroup

machine can't be added to Homegroup: I upgraded several workstations .. one from 8.1 and another on an HP laptop from win 7 , as well as a fresh install of win 10 on a third., all 64bit machines. After a lot of hassle I got the homegroup working on all but the machine that was on w7 earlier ... (It worked before...
  9. Homegroup not working correctly

Homegroup not working correctly: hi guys, since Build 10041 the only computer with Win 10 TP is in the homegroup but that computer only shows the 3 other pc's. Changing from "Allow WIndows to manage home group connections" to 'Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers" does not...
  10. Homegroup not working. Frustrating !

in Windows 10 Support
    Homegroup not working. Frustrating !: I'm trying to allows my TV and Xbox one to access a folder on my external hard drive using the Homegroup. I have turned Homegroup on, Changed the password, Allowed all the devices on the network to share content, Added my folder on the external HD to the Homegroup....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. network only working one direction error code 0x80070038