Windows 10: Homegroup issue - can't join or create new one

Discus and support Homegroup issue - can't join or create new one in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Yeah, same issue as many, it appears. In Windows 10, I have a Homegroup created by my laptop. But, not only can I not join it with other computers, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JackJ59, Jan 26, 2017.

1. JackJ59 Win User

Homegroup issue - can't join or create new one

Yeah, same issue as many, it appears. In Windows 10, I have a Homegroup created by my laptop. But, not only can I not join it with other computers, but when I try with the laptop it says, "No Homegroup found". That's after telling me that the Homegroup exists and asks if I want to join it. So, on the one hand the network(?) sees a homegroup, but then when I try to join I'm told it doesn't exist. What do I do?!

I've deleted the files in the Peer Networking folder on each computer, insured that ipv6 is ticked, that the Homegroup and Peer services are running. Turned off all machines and turned one on to try to create a new homegroup, but with the same response, that one exists, but unable to join because then it doesn't find it. I've also flushed the dns and renewed (I only know enough to be dangerous - how in the WORLD does the average home user deal with this?!!)

If it helps, each computer shows different network names. My laptop - which created this homegroup - is showing the wireless connection name, despite the fact that I've plugged in an ethernet cord. I could see that being the problem, except that even IT can't connect to that network. Unless the network name has changed when I changed routers (this is not a new problem, I'm just getting around to trying to tackle it now). Why in the world can one not simply delete a Homegroup?!!!!!!!!

Also, under IPv6 Connectivity it says, "No Network Access" for all of them. I do have internet for all of them.

Thanks in advance for any help. Or, alternatively, if you could send one bullet to...

:)

JackJ59, Jan 26, 2017

2. Home group broke during update.

Instead of trying to remove it, try joining it!

Notes

• If a homegroup already exists on your network, you'll be asked to join it instead of creating a new one.

• If your PC belongs to a domain, you can join a homegroup, but you can't create one. You can access files and resources on other homegroup PCs, but you can't share your own files and resources with the homegroup.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/...o-finish=windows-7&v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab2

Gerry C J Cornell, Jan 26, 2017
  3. kaygee46 Win User
    Do I or do I not have a Homegroup?

I have a laptop and two netbooks all running Windows 10 connected in a home wifi network. Some time back they were in a homegroup but it kept dropping them out and I'd have to rejoin so after a while I forgot all about the Homegroup.

I've now tried to revive it but all three computers say "You've been invited to join a Homegroup". When I click "Join" it says "Verifying password" even though I haven't entered one, and this goes on for three or four minutes. It then asks me to enter the
    password. When I do, it again says its verifying the password then after another three or four minutes it says that no Homegroup has been detected on the network and to close that window, go to Homegroup in Control Panel, and create a new one.

The problem is that the only option there is to join a homegroup - no option to create a new one. If I click on Join, the above process is repeated.

Windows is telling me that there is no Homegroup, but then it invites me to join this non-existent Homegroup.

I can't join, I can't create, and I can't leave. How can I restore the Homegroup?

kaygee46, Jan 26, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum Homegroup is never a good idea and not needed removing it and using workgroup is a lot simpler. IPV6 isnt used apart from home group it cant be used on the internet unless you isp supports it. try removing it for a start Homegroup - Leave in Windows 8

Samuria, Jan 26, 2017
  5. JackJ59 Win User
    Thanks. I already tried that. From what I can tell, none of my computers is connected to the HomeGroup - each one is prompted to join it upon opening it, and each is told that it then can't find the homegroup. Perhaps an old laptop that's no longer functioning was the one it's looking for, I don't know.

I'll take a look at using a workgroup, instead. Otherwise, if any other thoughts, they'd be appreciated. Any thoughts on the fact that different computers are referring to the network by a different name? They're all coming out of a Netgear router, but some call it Time Warner Cable, etc., by my laptop (with ethernet) is calling it Netgear, the router name. And most importantly, could this be the problem?

I updated the driver on my laptop, and flushed the DNS and renewed it, and it still says it's Netgear, and shows IPv6 as No network access.

JackJ59, Jan 26, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Not sure what setting your refering to Windows 10 Settings menu: The Network & Internet tab - CNET you can rename the network to what ever you like.
    If you dont have homegroups you can disable ipv6 its not used and just adds traffic you then in a work group and can share and connect to other pcs in the workgroup

Samuria, Jan 26, 2017
  7. JackJ59 Win User
    Thanks for the WorkGroups tip; I didn't realize that upon installing win 10 each computer is already in it. Then it appears I just needed to figure out how to give ownership to other computers, I thought the computer/drive had, as I looked under Security and for the drive I had ticked Full Control to Everyone, but then I used the CMD prompt to do so and was able to access the drive I was trying to.

Though I still found that I needed to copy the files over, and then delete, rather than cut-and-paste. No biggie, as it did the job. As long as this does what I needed, I'll just stick with the WorkGroup; thanks!

JackJ59, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Homegroup issue - can't join or create new one - Similar Threads - Homegroup issue can't

2. Joining a HomeGroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Joining a HomeGroup: I have been trying to join 2 laptops to a HomeGroup set up and there is no option showing to join. There are several guides that I've seen and all show options that do not appear on either laptop I'm trying to join with. Supposedly ther is a HomeGroup option within the...
  3. About Homegroup Joining/creating Option

About Homegroup Joining/creating Option: hi ! I created homegroup from windows 7 , and wanted to join from windows 10 home , but I could not see any option of Homegroup to join or create in Windows 10 , but Pc in the Network was visible and opened too. But shared folder could not be opened. The shared Printer...
  4. Unable to Join HomeGroup

Unable to Join HomeGroup: Hello everyone. I set up a homegroup years ago.. and had it set to two computers linked up and ready to go. Now we moved, got new everything and trying to set it up again but its showing my old homegroup. I can ether click on (Change Adv Settings) or Troubleshoot. Also...
  5. HomeGroup is asking to join on PC that should have created it.

HomeGroup is asking to join on PC that should have created it.: I am gonna be blunt here. I did post this in a HomeGroup thread already and no luck with a reply. So I am going to start a new thread. So I did the final 10 upgrade about 2 weeks ago on 3 of my machines. Now Homegroup is not working. I have gone through steps from...
  6. Can't Join or Delete Homegroup

Can't Join or Delete Homegroup: I have a 3 PC ("Server" and two others) home network. On my Server, OLDLOCALUSER created a Homegroup in Win7. I upgraded all 3 PCs from Win7 to Win10. On my Server, I changed my OLDLOCALUSER to NEWMSACCOUNT. I also created NEWMSACCOUNT on the two other PCs. I lost the...
  7. Cannot Join, Remove, or Create Another Homegroup.

Cannot Join, Remove, or Create Another Homegroup.: [img] I have 3 computers running Windows 10. Two were upgraded from Windows 7, and one from Windows 8. May not have had the Homegroup working properly before, and I think I had created one some time ago. I don't know what the password was. But, now that all of the machines...
  8. Cannot join HomeGroup

Cannot join HomeGroup: I have two computers, my desktop and my laptop which is a Lenovo T520 Thinkpad. My laptop is connected to a D-Link Smart switch via Cat 7 which is connected to my router as well as my desktop. I originally created a Home group on my desktop and then went to Home group on my...
  9. Update: "This computer can not join/create homegroup"

Update: "This computer can not join/create homegroup": I've tried trouble shooters for homegroup and network I've tried enable ipv6 I've tried making sure all necessary tasks are "running" in the services section of the network and sharing center I've tried making sure all my advanced homegroup settings were correct. I've...
  10. Homegroup issue: I have one laptop which cannot join (or leave)!

Homegroup issue: I have one laptop which cannot join (or leave)!: Folks, I'm in need of an assist. I have 5 computers working nicely with one another on my homegroup. None of that matters since my wife's laptop is the one which doesn't work with the homegroup. I've read every tutorial and tried every step that I could find, to no...