Windows 10: Homegroup Printer sharing woes

Discus and support Homegroup Printer sharing woes in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a bunch of pcs, (1 laptop, 2 desktops) at home all running windows 10. They were happily sharing printers over a homegroup I had set up on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MoridinUK, Apr 26, 2017.

1. MoridinUK Win User

Homegroup Printer sharing woes

I have a bunch of pcs, (1 laptop, 2 desktops) at home all running windows 10.

They were happily sharing printers over a homegroup I had set up on computer A my biggest machine.

Now none can print over the network. My printer had vanished form devices but I have got that back, however, they still can't print.

I went to check the homegroup to find none of the pcs are in it anymore. However, they all only have the option to join rather than create a new homegroup. When I try to join I'm told they are joining a homegroup maybe by my local admin user on computer A. This is even while logged on as said local admin user on computer A.

I do not have the password and so nothing can join.

Attempts to connect to the printer across the network fail, though the network pc can manipulate files in other shares.

I'm really confused as to how to proceed. I'm unsure why they can't just use the printer across a workgroup..

:)

MoridinUK, Apr 26, 2017

2. Workgroup and Networks

Thanks for the update. Yes, it's possible to share your printer with your two computers as long a they're connected to the same internet connection. Printer sharing is possible using a homegroup. A
    homegroup is a group of PCs on a home network that can share files and printers. Using a homegroup makes sharing easier.

To get started, you need to create a homegroup and then share the printer. Please check this
    article
    and look for Create a homegroup and Share a printer section for further instructions.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Antoneth Ber, Apr 26, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Printer Sharing not functioning after latest upgrades applied

Prior to a W10 automatic software upgrade my pc's were part of a Homegroup. After deleting the Homegroup from both PC's I was able access the shared printer. Why deleting the Homegroup resolved the printer sharing problem cannot be explained.

PAT_Cannon, Apr 26, 2017
  4. Homegroup Printer sharing woes

Hi MoridinUK.

If I understand correctly your printers are attached to what you call Computer A.

Have you considered just placing your printers on the network, directly, so Computer A doesn't need to be turned on?

I assume you set your Homegroup up on computer A. Right click on the network icon in the systray, click on Open Network and Sharing and you should see Homegroup in the lower left corner. If you click on it there should be an option to get password.

It may just be easier to throw in the towel, delete all Homegroups on all machines and then create a new Homegroup.

I don't share printers this way but one other item to check, open up Settings, Devices, Printers, click on your printer, click on Manage, click on printer properties. There should be a tab called sharing. Not sure but I think this has to be enabled.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 26, 2017
  5. MoridinUK Win User
    Thanks Ken,

Only one of my printers can run on the network itself, and I'm unable to place it neat the hub to use the cat 5 to do so, so sadly that isn't an option for me,

The homegroup was set up on comp A but comp A no longer thinks it is a member and I can find no options for deleting or creating a new one.

I have put a manual share on the printer already, there was a second issue that is caused by win10 not 'seeing' the printer as it is set up on HP Dot4 port. If I swtich it to USB I get to see it in devices and printers but it wont work! sigh...

I can currently print so I'm unlikely to prod it again, I ended up ripping our every reference to the printers and starting again.

Thanks for your help though!

MoridinUK, Apr 29, 2017
  6. Interesting. If you go Start=>Setting => Network and Internet. On the status page there is a link to Homegroup.

There is a Homegroup trouble shooter you may wish to explore and of course the "Network Reset" well below the Homegroup link.

If you right click the network icon in systray, the "Change advance sharing options" (upper left) you will see the heading Private. If you expand you will see a heading on Homegroup.

I also understanding leaving it alone. Good luck.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Homegroup Printer sharing woes

1. Homegroup Printer sharing woes - Similar Threads - Homegroup Printer sharing

2. Sharing, homegroups, scanning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing, homegroups, scanning: I'm in my small office where my friend shares space with me; we share internet services also. I'm trying to set a network folder for scanned documents and I'm guessing I need a homegroup so I can share files & media with the other computer. I don't want to share with the...
  3. homegroup sharing

homegroup sharing: I have a new laptop with windows 10 Pro. I have an older home pc with windows 10 home. I set up homegroup on the laptop and received the homegroup code but do not see where to enter that share code on the home pc. I just want to have access to pictures on both. I setup...
  4. Lost network/homegroup sharing

Lost network/homegroup sharing: I see the following error on both my HTPC and my desktop PC. Both running Win 10 pro 64 bit. I reinstalled the intel driver on bot machines but that did not work. I power cycled the cable modem and routher, that didn't work either. I tried the winsock series on CMDs...
  5. shared printer to homegroup, unknown user appeared

shared printer to homegroup, unknown user appeared: not sure what category this falls under. i went to add my printer to another computer. i pressed Share Homegroup. now i see this unknown user has access to all my docs.*cry how can i delete this?*Confused 73502
  6. How to share files now there's no Homegroup?

How to share files now there's no Homegroup?: Think I've kind of sorted it. Only weird thing is, is sometimes the computers on the network show up, sometimes they don't!
  7. Homegroup Printer Question

Homegroup Printer Question: Hey guys. Trying to setup our home printer across a network. It worked fine in Windows 7 and it did work fine post upgrade but, following a clean install of Windows 10 it won't connect and brings up an error about how Unable to connect to Printer. It's a HP Photosmart...
  8. Sharing using Homegroup

Sharing using Homegroup: Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with this strange behaviour please? I am trying to share some folders from my laptop to my TV (Sony Bravia kdl-46EX700). The TV is connected to the network via a wire whilst the laptop is wifi. Selecting or deselecting Share with...
  9. I want to share files and printers without HOMEGROUPS.

I want to share files and printers without HOMEGROUPS.: I'm about ready to put this computer through a wall. It keeps telling me that I've been invited to join a homegroup. When I try that, I get a long wait, then it tells me that there isn't a home group but I can create one. *MadI DONT WANT ANY HOMEGROUP.*Mad << Read...
  10. Sharing, Homegroup do I need the?

Sharing, Homegroup do I need the?: Windows 10: Only PC user, account shows me as Local Account Administrator. Is this the same as a simple "Local Account". Ir not what should I make it? Do I still have a reason to have a "Network"? Have a wireless router, connected to desktop with ethernet cable I use...