Windows 10: Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials

Discus and support Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Well, this problem is making me NUTS... Several PCs in my store.. some running W7 starter, some W10 Home pro. A few days ago suddenly I could no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Petar Stoychev, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials

Well, this problem is making me NUTS...

Several PCs in my store.. some running W7 starter, some W10 Home pro.

A few days ago suddenly I could no longer access a folder on another W10 computer, where we tend to store a lot of important documents. The computer where the other folder is, runs also W10.

Shares are usually done vie HomeGroup - share with home group users.
    Other computers on the network have no problem accessing it. Furthermore, I can access it from another local account on my computer, but not from my main account (which is a MS account)..
    It asks for credentials, although I am a homegroup user.. nevertheless I enter the other computer's only username and password (admin ones) and it still does not let me in. Try my own MS user and pass - also "wrong".

Tried leaving and joining the Homegroup.
    Tried restarting network related services and setting them on Automatic.
    Tried homegroup troubleshooter - says probable problem is with network, so should run Network troubleshooter.
    I do so and it shows error:
    This network troubleshooter shows error: resource (peer to peer grouping) is online, but not responding to connection attempts.

Following the latter and some google searches, I tried adding DisabledComponents" DWORD with "0"value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters
    But still NO-GO.

I do not know what to do next.. I will try tomorrow add another user on the other computer just so I can try access with it, but bottom line is - I should not have to do that.. it is stupid.

Who cares about idiotic Cortana, when something so basic and important as network sharing just stops working by itself and takes hours of nerves to get working .. if at all..

Thanks for reading..

:)

Petar Stoychev, Jan 25, 2016

2. Network Credentials Windows 10

We share our quickbooks file on a PC and used to access it through a mapped drive. In a recent upgrade from Win7 to Win10 on my network server (pc) i could no longer access this drive. when i would try to access the host computer from my desktop windows
    would ask for my "network credentials" and for the life of me i could not come up with what that was. Microsoft has not answered this question anywhere i could google or bing.

Here's what i found out. The only way to get access to those files without a homegroup is by turning off the sharing password protection in the networking center.

My question is, how do you set up a set of credentials so that you can file share securely over my local area network?

Do you have to use a homegroup?

ChadPalmer, Jan 25, 2016
  3. DominicP Win User
    Home Network in Windows 10

If there were no files there is no homegroup to be accessed.

Delete the files in Windows/ServiceProfiles/LocalServices/AppData/Roaming/PeerNetworking on all your systems and shut them down.

Then turn on your master PC and create a new homegroup. Then turn on your other PCs and join them to the new homegroup.

You can also set up shared resources on your systems and access them on the network by logging into the shared resources with user account credentials for the system to be accessed.

DominicP, Jan 25, 2016
  4. linw Win User

Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials

The username needs to be entered as computername\username

Check the credential popup. It probably shows the Domain as YOUR computername.

5. Oh.. that did it.. I tried with \\domain\user .. but it worked as domain\user

Nevertheless, it is a frustrating as the whole "home group"thing should care about this. Why would it still want credentials when we are in the same group and the folders are shared for HomeGroup... you can consider the matter "solved" // that is, if man has to know all the user names and passwords of the other computers, despite the folders are supposed to be shared..

Thx a lot for the input though..

Petar Stoychev, Jan 26, 2016
  6. linw Win User
    Indeed, it's an imperfect world!

Personally, I don't use Homegroup, preferring the old fashioned way.

Good it works for you, though.

7. jdsmort Win User
    To add my input... have recently had a similar problem.. finally solved. I have a printer that needs to be on a computer (Canon CAPT printer) and thus has to be shared. Pre Update to W10 V1511.. (Build 10586.71) everything was fine.. After this, the printer disappeared from the second computer which made use of it via the share. On checking I found all network sharing settings had been reset to a default of not sharing... (among other setting resets....) I reset to that required, still no printer... played various troubleshooters, still not there... Finally, turned off the firewall(Windows Firewall) removed all printers from either Programs and features( with third party Drivers) or from Devices and Printers dialog. Turned off all printers, so not redetected... Removed all instances from the shares (in my cas 2 other PC's ) Restart everything. Then having found a NEW file to run for a driver install for the CAPT printer (originally listed as available in W10) I installed this, starting the printer when requested... and finally I was able to add to the other somputer, see the printer, and print to it. After finishing, turned on the firewall again and all seems to work fine now.... but what a stupid nightmare caused by the MS team's bad networking additions... All brought on by this update. By the way... the Homegroup I created on the main machine.... when I went to look at this before removing all printers, it told me I had been invited by my main machine (yes, the one I was using!!!!) to join a homegroup.. had to join and enter the password originally created by the same system. Then I did the above, and finally returned to some normality

jdsmort, Jan 29, 2016
  8. Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials

Alright, my problem reappeared.. again over night all working - on the next morning .. no access to my colleagues' computers...
    It is a nightmare..
    However this has something to do with my particular PC, as the others on the networks have no such issues and continue to access shares, etc as expected (including to my PC). So problem is related to the credentials of my computer.. I tried deleting and adding them again manually - and it worked when I try to access L: \\192.... then it asks again for credentials and I could access the shares. However the homegroup folders are still not accessible and I have to access every PC with it's IP, rather than domain.

Event Viewer is plagued with some kind network related errors.. some of which are:
    The Sync Host_93853 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    The Contact Data_93853 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    The User Data Storage_93853 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    The User Data Access_93853 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    The HomeGroupListener service terminated with the following service-specific error:
    There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.
    The NetTcpActivator service depends on the NetTcpPortSharing service which failed to start because of the following error:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
    A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the CodeMeter.exe service to connect.
    The Net.Tcp Listener Adapter service depends on the Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

So, from what I can read - indeed problems with services dealing with user storage , etc.. however some services like "sync_host", "user_data_storage.. "etc. cannot be seen in services module.. should they?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Petar Stoychev, Feb 9, 2016
  9. I have left the old Home group on all PC.
    Deleted all credentials
    deleted all in C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking
    Then turned them off..

Created new Home group on one.
    Now most problems are gone.

Note: some of the PCs had to "think"10+ minutes before joining.. it seems like nothing happens but it does.

I'll look around a few more days for troubles before I mark this thread "solved"

Petar Stoychev, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials

1. Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials - Similar Threads - Homegroup problem accessing

2. File Share on networked PC asks for credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Share on networked PC asks for credentials: I can access shared folders from Windows 10, but it requires credentials. I have password protection turned off, so I don't know why it's asking for this. I entered credentials that I happen to remember, and I'm able to sign in. Where are these credentials, and why is it...
  3. File Share on networked PC asks for credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Share on networked PC asks for credentials: I can access shared folders from Windows 10, but it requires credentials. I have password protection turned off, so I don't know why it's asking for this. I entered credentials that I happen to remember, and I'm able to sign in. Where are these credentials, and why is it...
  4. File Share on networked PC asks for credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Workgroup access asking for login credentials

Workgroup access asking for login credentials: Dear reader, I have been wanting to get the answer to my questions for a long time. Every where I ready an answer to my problem it talks about turning off the password protection in folder sharing. I have done it a few times but my problem still stands. I have two...
  6. Printer Sharing and Network credential access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Printer Sharing and Network credential access: Hello: I have two desktops running Windows 10. One is a new one and I would like to be able to print from the USB connected printer on the other desktop. Problem is when I go to access my other computer which I can see, it pops up asking for security credentials. I really...
  7. Network sharing asking for network credentials

Network sharing asking for network credentials: I am trying to connect to other pc's on my home network and have turned off password protected sharing. I can see the other computer in file explorer, but when I click on it I am asked for "Network Credentials". I have entered the Microsoft username and password and the...
  8. shared folders not accessible after HomeGroup removed

shared folders not accessible after HomeGroup removed: I have three computers, two of them connected directly to the router, one over WiFi. All three of them run the latest version of Win 10 built 1803 (build 17134.191) . Ever since I upgraded the computers to 1803 and HomeGroup was removed, I have been having problems with...
  9. homegroup sharing

homegroup sharing: I have a new laptop with windows 10 Pro. I have an older home pc with windows 10 home. I set up homegroup on the laptop and received the homegroup code but do not see where to enter that share code on the home pc. I just want to have access to pictures on both. I setup...
  10. Shared folders will not access on Homegroup after format

Shared folders will not access on Homegroup after format: Hey guys, this one has me stumped. I have a network of 4 pc's in my house. My main PC that has all my media failed and required a format. After fixing it all, re-joining it to the homegroup I receive this message (pic attached) when trying to access all my media on any...