Windows 10: Homegroup seems stuck in join loop?

Discus and support Homegroup seems stuck in join loop? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Short version: Windows is saying it sees a homegroup on my PC under my user ID, but it is not actually in the homegroup - it is forcing me to try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tecban, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Tecban Win User

Homegroup seems stuck in join loop?

Short version: Windows is saying it sees a homegroup on my PC under my user ID, but it is not actually in the homegroup - it is forcing me to try to join the group it says I already created!

All homegroup functions have recently stopped working, after mostly working OK for a year under Win 8 and Win 10.

Here's what is happening:

• With all other PCs turned off, I restart my main Windows 10 PC, "Media PC" and sign in under L: myname@outlook.com.
    • Under HomeGroup, I am then prompted to join a HomeGroup. It says, "myname@outlook.com on Media PC has created a homegroup on the network."
    • But, instead of seeing the homegroup control page, (where you can change the password etc.), it is displaying a "join now" button. I don't have the password, and without the normal homegroup panel, I can't reset the password, or do anything except join.
    • If I so click join, it asks for the password, which I don't know and can't change (see above). If I enter a dummy password, it says "Windows can no longer detect a homegroup on this network." - but then immediately brings me back to the message shown above.

That makes no sense - it is asking me to join a homegroup that it says my user already created, and denying me the normal homegroup tools to try to fix it.

I have restarted the PC several times, restarted my router, switched the network from private to public and back (restarting in between), toggled the HomeGroup services off and on, and deleted the contents of the hidden "PeerNetworking" folder. And I am still stuck in this loop - unable to join a homegroup it says I already created.

Really all I want is simple, 1990s style folder sharing on my home network. Up until this week, homegroups usually were good enough. I thought the days of reformat/reinstall were behind me, but it seems like my last option to restore normal network activity. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Edited to improve late-night clarity.

:)

Tecban, Dec 29, 2015

2. After upgrading to windows 10 from 7 my homegroup has stopped working.

* Original Title: Win 10 Homegroup

Hi after upgrading to windows 10 from 7 my homegroup has stopped working. On my main PC (where I created the homegroup) I only get the option to join the homegroup not view or manage the homegroup? This seems odd because the message is asking me to join
    the homegroup created by me on my own computer.

If I try to join the homegroup and put in my old password I get an error message

"Windows no longer detects a homegroup on this network. To create a new homegroup click OK, then open HomeGroup in Control Panel."

When I do this I go back to ...

"FirstName LastName on Name-PC has created a homegroup on the network...

Join now"

No other computers can join also,

Stuck in a loop, please help

Margies_fj, Dec 29, 2015
  3. Ghost homegroup can't be deleted

I forgot to say that when the other PC is shut down the homegroup that this one says it has disappears. So the situation seems to be:

1. PC1 created a homegroup.

2. PC2 joined PC1's homegroup.

3. PC1's homegroup disappeared.

4. PC1 is somehow detecting the ghost of the homegroup that PC2 joined.

Confused? Join the club! I am able to create a new homegroup on PC1, but not able to get PC2 to join it.

Majikthyse, Dec 29, 2015
Thema:

Homegroup seems stuck in join loop?

1. Homegroup seems stuck in join loop? - Similar Threads - Homegroup seems stuck

2. Cannot join homegroup on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot join homegroup on Windows 10: I have a new Windows 10 computer, and I'm trying to join the existing homegroup in my home (which currently includes Windows 8 laptop and Windows 7 desktop), but to no avail. I tried to follow the instructions written by Shawn Brink in this forum: Open File Explorer,...
  3. Joining a HomeGroup

Joining a HomeGroup: I have been trying to join 2 laptops to a HomeGroup set up and there is no option showing to join. There are several guides that I've seen and all show options that do not appear on either laptop I'm trying to join with. Supposedly ther is a HomeGroup option within the...
  4. About Homegroup Joining/creating Option

About Homegroup Joining/creating Option: hi ! I created homegroup from windows 7 , and wanted to join from windows 10 home , but I could not see any option of Homegroup to join or create in Windows 10 , but Pc in the Network was visible and opened too. But shared folder could not be opened. The shared Printer...
  5. Unable to Join HomeGroup

Unable to Join HomeGroup: Hello everyone. I set up a homegroup years ago.. and had it set to two computers linked up and ready to go. Now we moved, got new everything and trying to set it up again but its showing my old homegroup. I can ether click on (Change Adv Settings) or Troubleshoot. Also...
  6. Unable to join homegroup, but from my computer

Unable to join homegroup, but from my computer: Hi, When I go to homegroup it says "my@emailaddress.com on MyComputer created a domain on the network." There are no other computers on the network and I do not have a password to join I have tried to delete:...
  7. Can't Join or Delete Homegroup

Can't Join or Delete Homegroup: I have a 3 PC ("Server" and two others) home network. On my Server, OLDLOCALUSER created a Homegroup in Win7. I upgraded all 3 PCs from Win7 to Win10. On my Server, I changed my OLDLOCALUSER to NEWMSACCOUNT. I also created NEWMSACCOUNT on the two other PCs. I lost the...
  8. Not able to join HOMEGROUP on Windows10 Pro

Not able to join HOMEGROUP on Windows10 Pro: Hi All, I have 2 Dell Alienware PC's. Both are running on Windows10Pro 64 BIT. One is a laptop and the other one is a Desktop. Both systems areconnected to the same and only network and not any domain whatsoever. The problem is, when I try to create a Homegroup on...
  9. Cannot join HomeGroup

Cannot join HomeGroup: I have two computers, my desktop and my laptop which is a Lenovo T520 Thinkpad. My laptop is connected to a D-Link Smart switch via Cat 7 which is connected to my router as well as my desktop. I originally created a Home group on my desktop and then went to Home group on my...
  10. Join Homegroup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Join Homegroup in Windows 10: How to: Join Homegroup in Windows 10 [img] Information A Homegroup makes it easy to share pictures, music, documents, videos, and printers with other Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computers on your local home network. You can also stream media to...