Windows 10: Homegroup set up requires IPV6

Discus and support Homegroup set up requires IPV6 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Trying to get my W7 machine in the workgroup with W8.1 and W10. On the W7 side I get an error saying I need IPV6? How to get that turned on? My router... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by meebers, Jul 21, 2015.

1. meebers Win User

Homegroup set up requires IPV6

Trying to get my W7 machine in the workgroup with W8.1 and W10. On the W7 side I get an error saying I need IPV6? How to get that turned on? My router has it enabled but when looking at my adapter, the IPV6 portion is blank. It is set to auto, my isp is not doing IPV6 yet. Tx

:)

meebers, Jul 21, 2015
  2. PJLOM Win User

Windows 10 - HomeGroup password

I believe the problem for me has been that my router does not have an IPv6 address it uses IPv4 and as a result the homegroup fails to operate even though I can get through the initial start up it then fails, stating on linking computers that there is no
    homegroup despite the homegroup showing on the parent computer.

After subsequent investigation on various sources, including Microsoft help, I discovered that homegroup for Windows 10 requires devices to have IPv6 addresses.

PJLOM, Jul 21, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Homegroup problem

I finally got mine working but it required reconfiguring my hardware to do it. Previously DHCP was done by my ISP's modem which does not support IPv6. So, I turned off DHCP in it and wired it to my Dlink which does support IPv6. Now all my hosts Get-NetConnectionProfile
    show Private IPv6 LocalNetwork, so the Homegroup works. Note that both the Homegroup tool and its troubleshooter stupidly ignore this requirement.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Jul 21, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Is ipv6 unchecked in your network protocols dialog? Did you run the troubleshooter?

Mystere, Jul 21, 2015
  5. meebers Win User
    It is checked. Troubleshooter couldn't identify the problem. If I look at the status of my L.A.C.

meebers, Jul 22, 2015
  6. bro67 Win User
    Regardless if the ISP is not using IPv6. The router can still handle it between devices. Make sure all computers have IPv4 installed in Network adapter properties.

bro67, Jul 23, 2015
  7. meebers Win User
    All three have IPV4 installed, the only one that does not have IPV6 installed is Win7, the one I cannot get into the group. I agree that regardless if my isp is using IPV6 or not, this should not be a factor for home networking?

meebers, Jul 24, 2015
  8. bro67 Win User

No it should not be a factor. Possibly that we could be looking at a Driver issue or if you are running third party Internet Security software, that could be the culprit.

bro67, Jul 24, 2015
  9. meebers Win User
    tx. Only MSE and MWBytes. Will wait until after the 29th and see if anything changes. Until then will be just using USB flash. :-(

meebers, Jul 25, 2015
  10. Saltgrass Win User
    Homegroups have always needed IPv6.. Check the box and it should work.

Saltgrass, Jul 25, 2015
  11. meebers Win User
    Just to double check, this is the box & check you are referring to? I cycled it on/off once, but has always been checked.

meebers, Jul 26, 2015
  12. Saltgrass Win User
    if you go back to the Network Connections dialog and select one of your active interfaces, then at the top select the Status of this connection, does it show any IPv6 addresses?

Since IPv6 is normally installed by default, something must have deactivated it depending on what the above listing shows.

Do you remember disabling it for any reason? If not, could some software have disabled it?

You might see if you can find anything about repairing an install, but I am not able to give you guidance.

I will try setting up a Homegroup just to make sure it is still working after some of the updates we have received. I will post back if I see anything strange.

Saltgrass, Jul 26, 2015
  13. Mystere Win User

Have you, by any chance, disabled any services? Such as dns service?

Mystere, Jul 26, 2015
  14. bro67 Win User
    Even a Proxy can cause issues. This is the main reason why a lot of us do not use Homegroups. We stick with regular Network sharing.

bro67, Jul 26, 2015
  15. meebers Win User
    After more reading and checking I came across this: *Eek Don't want to hack my registry without knowing for sure.

"Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters
    Double-click the DisabledComponents registry entry, and then type 0 in the Value data box"

Does the value "255" indicate all, and "0" indicates none?

meebers, Jul 26, 2015
Thema:

1. Homegroup set up requires IPV6 - Similar Threads - Homegroup set requires

2. IPv6 settings not persistent

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IPv6 settings not persistent: Problem : After hybernate or sleep my laptop loses its WiFi IPv6 global address. Only Link Local address is still there, hence IPv6 interface seems to function. Workaround: I follow the EasyFix option "Prefer IPv6 over IPv4 in prefix policies"as pointed out...
  3. Set up homegroup in Windows 10

Set up homegroup in Windows 10: Have just installed Win 10 ot previously blank SSD, in place of Windows 7. Can anyone point me to a clear description of how to set up a homegroup network in my new installation of windows 10?...
  4. Missing Set Up Homegroup button!

Missing Set Up Homegroup button!: I want to connect my desktop and my laptop. I went to Network settings/status and I'm supposed to see a Homegroup button to set it up but I don't have one. How can I do it?...
  5. PC reports that it is not possible to set up a Homegroup

PC reports that it is not possible to set up a Homegroup: I am having trouble with File Explorer on my wife's PC (Val1606). Under Network, it does not show my PC (Tony0415) but it has appeared under This PC but no longer. However, what it showed was that Tony0415 was merely a Media Device. It would be good if I could get Val1606...
  6. HomeGroup Set Up

HomeGroup Set Up: Good Morning. I was wondering if someone can help me. I'm trying to set up a homegroup between my 2 desktops. Both desktops were upgraded from Win 7. I set up desktop A successfully. I received the homegroup password. I went to desktop B and when I entered the homegroup...
  7. setting up homegroup in windows 10

setting up homegroup in windows 10: I recently upgraded windows 8.1 with Bing, which had a homegroup, to windows 10. After the upgrade I was unable to set up a homegroup. Message, "this computer is unable to set up a homegroup" *Sad 29747
  8. Setting Up a HomeGroup for use in another location?

Setting Up a HomeGroup for use in another location?: I've got a HomeGroup at home, and currently have two other PCs that do not normally live here. I want to set them up in their own HomeGroup for use in another location. Is this possible? Failing that, if they join the current HomeGroup, what will happen when they are away...
  9. Setting up a homegroup in Windows 10

Setting up a homegroup in Windows 10: I have 3 desktops and one laptop all running Windows 10 (wirelessly, except for one desktop on ethernet). I'm trying to set up a new homegroup with these machines, but when I do, I'm asked for a HG password that is not working (I set up a HG when some were on Windows 7 long...
  10. Trouble setting up homegroup on local network?

Trouble setting up homegroup on local network?: I have a desktop (DT) and a portable (P)-both HPs and running the same Windows 10. I believe that I have followed all instructions well, but get confusing instructions when I go to add the P to the DT (main computer). Here's what i did: I set up a homegroup on the DT and got...