Windows 10: HomeGroup Set Up

Discus and support HomeGroup Set Up in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good Morning. I was wondering if someone can help me. I'm trying to set up a homegroup between my 2 desktops. Both desktops were upgraded from Win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by craigmh74, Nov 3, 2016.

1. craigmh74 Win User

HomeGroup Set Up

Good Morning.

I was wondering if someone can help me. I'm trying to set up a homegroup between my 2 desktops. Both desktops were upgraded from Win 7. I set up desktop A successfully. I received the homegroup password. I went to desktop B and when I entered the homegroup password I received an error stating "homegroup cannot be set up on this computer". Before doing all of this, I did go to Services (on Desktop B) and set 4 services (home listener, home provider, peer network group, and peer network identity manager) from manual to automatic. Does the upgrades have something to do with this?? any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Craig

:)

craigmh74, Nov 3, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Homegroup set up

Hi Simon,

Open Windows File Explorer

Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA

Delete MachineKeys

Right click an empty space in RSA and choose New - Folder

Name the folder MachineKeys

Right click this new folder and choose Properties

Click on the Security Tab

Click Everyone, click Edit

Give Full Control to Everyone

Restart your PC and try setting up / joining the Homegroup again . . .

DaveM121, Nov 3, 2016
  3. Setting up a Homegroup

I think this applies to you and everyone else (including me) who had the misfortune of having an existing Home Group and upgraded to Windows 10. The only way the other computer in our office can print is to have an extension on the printer cable and transfer
    it between computers when there's something to print. It's a real pain in the **** but Microsoft seem to have put sorting out issues with Homegroups in Windows 10 into the "too hard basket" so that's what we're stuck with. My advice to anyone out there still
    sitting on the fence as to whether to load Windows 10 or not is DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MaureenConner, Nov 3, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

HomeGroup Set Up

Make sure your network is "private" not "public" and make sure your PC is discoverable. Homegroup works only on private networks.

HomeGroup Set Up [​IMG]

HomeGroup Set Up [​IMG]

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 4, 2016
  5. craigmh74 Win User
    I did that in the beginning.....and still a no go.

CH

craigmh74, Nov 17, 2016
  6. craigmh74 Win User
    Does it matter which PC I set up first? My PC in the living room is where my printer/scanner and router are. My PC in the bedroom is just my secondary PC. I set the bedroom PC up first then when I tried joining the group with my living room PC, I received that error (can't set up HomeGroup on this PC). Also, both PC were upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. Does that matter??

Craig

craigmh74, Nov 17, 2016
  7. Samuria Win User
    You don't need home group to share it makes things worse it requires ipv6 is that enabled?

Samuria, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

HomeGroup Set Up

1. HomeGroup Set Up - Similar Threads - HomeGroup Set

2. Bootup is turning Homegroup Public folders access "ON" even though I want and SET it "OFF"....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bootup is turning Homegroup Public folders access "ON" even though I want and SET it "OFF"....: Note default is https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bootup-is-turning-homegroup-public-folders-access/8dcded8e-c3af-48e8-80e5-b17517d60d0c
  3. Bootup is turning Homegroup Public folders access "ON" even though I want and SET it "OFF"....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bootup is turning Homegroup Public folders access "ON" even though I want and SET it "OFF"....: Note default is https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bootup-is-turning-homegroup-public-folders-access/8dcded8e-c3af-48e8-80e5-b17517d60d0c
  4. Set up homegroup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Set up homegroup in Windows 10: Have just installed Win 10 ot previously blank SSD, in place of Windows 7. Can anyone point me to a clear description of how to set up a homegroup network in my new installation of windows 10?...
  5. Missing Set Up Homegroup button!

Missing Set Up Homegroup button!: I want to connect my desktop and my laptop. I went to Network settings/status and I'm supposed to see a Homegroup button to set it up but I don't have one. How can I do it?...
  6. homegroup settings not found

homegroup settings not found: I have win 10 ver 1809 and homegroup settings not found any where? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/homegroup-settings-not-found/8c0b5af8-1bc6-4b71-895f-4b4f89cefc47
  7. Cannot share or set permissions for default Folders - Homegroup Issue

Cannot share or set permissions for default Folders - Homegroup Issue: Dear All, I hope that someone can help me. I am setup as an administrator within Window 10. For some unknown reason I cannot share or set permissions for the default Documents folder Music folder or Printers and Drivers to be shared across a Homegroup. THE EXACT...
  8. I need a complete list of settings to make my Homegroup work.

I need a complete list of settings to make my Homegroup work.: I hope you don't get as confused as I am.... I have 3 win 10 computers, 1 HP 530-339 64 Bit, 1 Dell 530S 32 Bit and 1 Dell 560S 64 Bit. I need to let folks know I am a non-techie with an 85 year old slow brain. When I bought the 560 I tried to set up a Homegroup, I was...
  9. PC reports that it is not possible to set up a Homegroup

PC reports that it is not possible to set up a Homegroup: I am having trouble with File Explorer on my wife's PC (Val1606). Under Network, it does not show my PC (Tony0415) but it has appeared under This PC but no longer. However, what it showed was that Tony0415 was merely a Media Device. It would be good if I could get Val1606...
  10. Trouble setting up homegroup on local network?

Trouble setting up homegroup on local network?: I have a desktop (DT) and a portable (P)-both HPs and running the same Windows 10. I believe that I have followed all instructions well, but get confusing instructions when I go to add the P to the DT (main computer). Here's what i did: I set up a homegroup on the DT and got...