Windows 10: Homegroup setup on Win10 is a little different.

Discus and support Homegroup setup on Win10 is a little different. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; 1. Not necessary to put in Homegroup password in Win10 if one of the other computers on the network is running. it seems to autofill. 2. Disable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by John Pombrio, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Homegroup setup on Win10 is a little different.

1. Not necessary to put in Homegroup password in Win10 if one of the other computers on the network is running. it seems to autofill.
    2. Disable password protection in network advanced sharing.
    3. Share the folders you want to show up under Homegroup by right clicking on the folder-share with- Homegroup view (or view and edit).
    4. Go around to the other computers and join the NEW Homegroup network, usually called network(some number).
    5. Keep shutting down and rebooting the computers until they all sync up.

Homegroup should be a simple procedure. Put in the password and share files, heh. Homegroup seemed to have been enabled as a default and that Win10 KNEW my Homegroup password for my home network, probably due to my logging into my MS account on install (thank you strollin). Then the usual setup procedure on what to public shares on Homegroup and also turn off password protection sharing in the Advanced network sharing settings. Now I shared the folders I wanted to show up under homegroup in the right click on folder-share with- Homegroup view or view and edit.
    Now I had to go around and join in the already active Homegroup on my other computers. What has changed is that the network ID has gone from network2 to network3. Network2 came about when I did this same thing on Win8.
    Finally, start shutting down (not just restarting unless you have fast startup turned off) and turning back on all the computers. After a few of these reboots, all of a sudden Homegroup was a good little boy and all the computers showed up on the network and the folders that I shared would pop up. It was not necessary to go into advanced sharing and change any of the settings (thank goodness).

If anyone knows of things that I might have had to do or had done but don't remember doing them, that I missed in this list, please comment.

:)

John Pombrio, Oct 5, 2014

2. homegroup password/how to join homegroup windows 10

I was having the same problem too, Homegroup setup from Win7 and now migrated to Win10. There was no place to change password and only option was to join. Maddening. I read all the steps above but that sounded like way too much and a common theme kept
    cropping up - TURN OFF ALL COMPUTERS!

I also had a FireTV that was "connected" to my Win10 instance, probably because of a DLNA connection and I couldn't do anything until that was turned off as well. Check you devices and printers tab to see what is connected and turn it off!

Now with your main computer on, nothing else attached, join the homegroup and give it whatever password you want. It will ultimately fail but a new pop up will return in that now it could not find a Homegroup on the computer at all. This is exactly what
    you want. It prompts you to return to Control Panel/Homegroup and set one up.

Don't be fooled now because you are in Control Panel and it still wants you to join. Close out all windows and reopen Control Panel. Now go to Homegroup and it will look a little different. It still wants you to join but you can now join/create your new
    Homegroup!

After it completed, I finally had all the options to change password, etc. which I did to something that I wanted to use. Now I fired up my laptop, joined the Homegroup, entered the password I created an I am now connected.

Only issue now is that I seem to have a rights issue writing to the Public folder on the main computer from the laptop. I have everything open and password settings are off in the sharing tab but still can't write. Minor inconvenience and I will triple
    check my settings on that folder but other than that I am connected to the Homegroup.

Oh, one other thing. As I was poking around with credentials I noticed that while I was logged in Win10 with a Microsoft Account, I was a member of a Homegroup of some kind. Unfortunately I didn't document too well. I have also switched to a local login
    which put me into a Workgroup and did the setup with the Homegroup. That, too , might have made the difference!

BeKind

NealCassady, Oct 5, 2014
  3. Win10 HomeGroup Password and Set Up Issues

Thank you for taking a shot at this. I have read dozens of Forum entries, none of them work.
    What is central to this issue is that upon loading Win10 the system apparently setups up a HomeGroup Network ---- and
    will not reveal HomeGroup password!

I just loaded Win10 onto a yet another desktop PC yesterday, and today went to HomeGroup to see if I might set up a Win10 HomeGroup on the newly minted win10 PC from scratch. No luck.
    Options are thin, identical to my other win10 PC.

View the HomeGroup Password’ is grayed out (from the outset of the Win10 load, no changes made).
    Secondly, ‘Join’ the HomeGroup demands a Password, that cannot be reviled and is unknown to the owner, as I never set up a HomeGroup network. (see below)

A catch 22. Cannot delete the existing HomeGroup Network, nor can anther HomeGroup be created as no options to perform those tasks (as in Win7) are available in Win10. Tried the Troubleshooter and so on, and other suggested as noted
    on this site. I am open to additional suggestions? Thanks

Homegroup setup on Win10 is a little different. [​IMG]

DanFrumkin, Oct 5, 2014
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Homegroup setup on Win10 is a little different.

Hi there

I use Linux servers too and HOMEGROUP is a HORRIBLE idea - I just use the old fashioned LAN system of shares without any home groups.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 6, 2014
  5. strollin Win User
    If you have Win 8 and Win 10 computers in the Homegroup and are using an MS Account to login, the Homegroup password was probably one of the things that was shared via the MS Account.

strollin, Oct 6, 2014
  6. That sounds like what happened. It's more likely than scarfing up the password from the other computers.

John Pombrio, Oct 6, 2014
  7. My Wife and I couldn't get the Homegroup to work with 10166, now we're in 10240, it says that my Wife has invited me to her Homegroup, and that I need her password. However, she hasn't got a Homegroup! How can you set up another one if it says that you are already in one?

Bristolian, Jul 15, 2015
  8. Homegroup setup on Win10 is a little different.

A homegroup can reside on the MS account which can make it tricky as ALL the computers can be off of Homegroup but the MS account still thinks there is one. Make sure both computers are logged into MS (if they have accounts that is). If you see that there are folders with little faces on them, then there IS a homegroup running. Make sure the setting are OK as listed below. Then run the Homegroup troubleshooter on both. Try all that first and let me know how that works out.

John Pombrio, Jul 15, 2015
  9. Hello John,
    Thanks for your reply. Your first image (the one where you've highlighted an area with a red box) where would we find that (with the system volume information)?

Very Best Wishes,
    Bob.

Bristolian, Jul 15, 2015
  10. That would be in the file explorer. I just just a different program ( Directory Opus). Look at any folder that has been set to be shared on Homegroup.

John Pombrio, Jul 16, 2015
  11. Hello John,
    Despite my Wife's PC saying that she already has a Homegroup, none shows up on either of our PCs, and none of the files on either machine have the small 'people' to indicate a Homegroup.
    When I try to join the supposed Homegroup, it says "checking your password" (or something like that) even without my entering one. That then obviously fails, as my Wife hasn't got one!.

What I think we'll do when we want to share files etc is sign in with a local account first, and try that.

Very Best Wishes,
    Bob.

Bristolian, Jul 16, 2015
  12. meebers Win User
    Does IPv6 have to be enabled on all machines?

meebers, Jul 17, 2015
  13. Ten127 Win User

I spent hours on the web. Started using his suggestion and finally got to a point where I could get 3 PCs linked up. The key seems to be 'one PC on at a time'.

Ten127, Feb 19, 2017
  14. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Homegroup setup on Win10 is a little different. - Similar Threads - Homegroup setup Win10

2. Setup a homegroup or a home network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setup a homegroup or a home network.: HelloI want to setup a homegroup or a home network.The problem is that I do not manage to setup both PCs to the same homegroup.Printer tells me, that PC 1 is not in same Network as PC 2.Is the problem maybe the Devolo Powerline on which PC 2 is running?Thanks in advance for...
  3. Setup a homegroup or a home network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setup a homegroup or a home network.: HelloI want to setup a homegroup or a home network.The problem is that I do not manage to setup both PCs to the same homegroup.Printer tells me, that PC 1 is not in same Network as PC 2.Is the problem maybe the Devolo Powerline on which PC 2 is running?Thanks in advance for...
  4. setup homegroup windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    setup homegroup windows 10: i find it interesting that their 50 pages asking the same questions about setup homegroup windows 10 and no one at Microsoft can answer the question - so is their a answer??????????/...
  5. SmartTV Media Access with HomeGroup, WIN10

SmartTV Media Access with HomeGroup, WIN10: Made a Win10 update recently. As expected, HomeGroup is removed from the updated version. Here's my problem, with the previous build have the HomeGroup in which my SmartTV can access directly to Win10-PC and play the Media files shared in HomeGroup. After the build update...
  6. Win10 just a little bit laggy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 just a little bit laggy: Hi all, Win 10 on my laptop is just a *little* bit laggy. It takes just a half-second too long for explorer windows to open up, for control panel windows to populate, etc. It's slow enough to be annoying - and I know it can be snappier (it is when everything is disabled) -...
  7. Win10 just a little bit laggy

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 just a little bit laggy: Hi all, Win 10 on my laptop is just a *little* bit laggy. It takes just a half-second too long for explorer windows to open up, for control panel windows to populate, etc. It's slow enough to be annoying - and I know it can be snappier (it is when everything is disabled) -...
  8. win10 pro setup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 pro setup: during win 10 pro setup noticed win edition to be win 10 and was expecting to see win 10 Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-pro-setup/4bce4fda-012a-4178-a5fd-f5136d214b17
  9. Win10 Networking After Removal of HomeGroup

Win10 Networking After Removal of HomeGroup: Hello! I saw your recent post and decided that you may be able to help me and others who later read this post. My issue and rant: With Windows recent update (Ver 1803), the simple task of networking two home computers has become a nightmare. I cannot understand how a...
  10. Cannot setup Homegroup

Cannot setup Homegroup: Hi everyone a few weeks back I shot myself in the foot by leaving the homegroup on all four of my machines. I did not realise that they were still subject to the set password, although I had left. The password remains valid and I have NO clue what the password was.*Redface...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 join homegroup 2019

2. how to disable password on homegroup at win10

3. homegroup in win10