Windows 10: Homegroup sharing Win.7, to Win. 10

Discus and support Homegroup sharing Win.7, to Win. 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, I am trying to share my files, mainly documents and pictures between my (3) laptops. On my 2 laptops running Windows 7 this is not a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by abe, Nov 25, 2017.

1. ABE
    abe Win User

Homegroup sharing Win.7, to Win. 10

Hello all,
    I am trying to share my files, mainly documents and pictures between my (3) laptops. On my 2 laptops running
    Windows 7 this is not a problem, but I am unable to share between Win. 7 and Win. 10. I can startup the homegroup, it will
    recognize the other device on the network (private connection via ethernet cable) and I can move files from the Windows 10
    computer to the Windows 7 machine, but not vice versa. If I try to drag and drop into the folder for the other machine, it tells
    me I need permission.
    I have checked and rechecked the appropriate fields needed for sharing, but it won't work to send from Win 7 to 10.
    I uninstalled my Norton Security on the chance that it was preventing me, but no go.
    My Windows 10 is Pro. version, Windows 7 is Ultimate.
    I only use the Windows 10 as a backup computer and I can transfer files from Windows 7 by dragging them to a thumb drive and inserting that in the Win. 10 machine. But there must be a better way?
    Just another reason why I don't like Win. 10. Has any one else experienced this?
    Thank you for looking.

:)

2. File Sharing between homegroup computers using Win 10 and Win 7

None of he suggestions offered have solved he problem. However, I found out why I was not able to see the Window 7 PC folders on my Win 10 laptop. It was all related to the difference in how you find a computers on a homegroup. As it turns out, the
    Windows 10 menu structure for getting to the Network is different between the Win 7 and Win 10 operating systems. The homegroup computers can be seen on the Win 7 buy going to Network and File Sharing on the Control Panel and by clicking on the the House
    Icon between the Win 7 PC icon and the Internet Icon. These icons are not part of the Network and File Sharing menu on Win 10. Instead, the homegroup computers can be found on the Network icon under the Computer Menu on Win 10 computers. Once I found Win
    7 listed under the Network Icon on the Win 10 computer I was able to access all of the shared folders on the Win 7 PC.

shortimer831, Nov 25, 2017
  3. Win 10 Homegroup compatibility with Win 7 machines

Over a month ago I put my Win 10 computer back to Win 7. I have 3 other computers ( all win 7 ) and my Win 10 cannot share files with the Win 7 computers so I rolled the Win 10 back to Win 7. I am hoping this problem is repaired soon. We share files
    and photos across our Homegroup.

webberhall, Nov 25, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. What folders are you trying to access if it's in the users profile you won't have NTFS rights even on the PC logged in as another user you can't get access. You can create a folder and use that or you can use Google drive with that you save files to local folder and it will sync onto other PC on its own you get 15 gig free and your files are all backed up safe

Samuria, Nov 25, 2017
  5. ABE
    abe Win User
    Thank you for the reply, why will it work on Windows 7? Without doing what you suggest?

Thema:

1. Homegroup sharing Win.7, to Win. 10 - Similar Threads - Homegroup sharing

2. I cant find the Homegroup option in the network sharing centre!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cant find the Homegroup option in the network sharing centre!!!: I am unable to find the HOMEGROUP option anywhere.Is there an alternate way to link all my computers in the floor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-find-the-homegroup-option-in-the-network/4cd402e8-0e06-4c29-9599-ff7562478295
  3. Sharing, homegroups, scanning

Sharing, homegroups, scanning: I'm in my small office where my friend shares space with me; we share internet services also. I'm trying to set a network folder for scanned documents and I'm guessing I need a homegroup so I can share files & media with the other computer. I don't want to share with the...
  4. windows 10 file sharing without homegroup? (since they removed it)

windows 10 file sharing without homegroup? (since they removed it): since they removed the homegroup i am having MUCH difficulty sharing files between my 2 computers and my laptop. it seems if one can see one, it cant see the other, or non can see any. sometimes it asks me for a password even tho ive never set one up on my home computers,...
  5. Sharing Issues w/o HomeGroup...

Sharing Issues w/o HomeGroup...: Ever since the beginning of this year when MS removed the HomeGroup function, I've had a terrible time with file sharing on my home network. I am running one central Win10 desktop with two Win10 laptops in a home wifi environment that is stable and fast. All machines are...
  6. File sharing, replacing the useful homegroup

File sharing, replacing the useful homegroup: After a good deal of bad words about the removal of homegroup and about the "easy" Windows 10 file sharing, squeezing my brain to the last neuron and thanks to the help of the community too ... *** I succeeded in having my 2 PCs on my home network visible one each other on...
  7. shared folders not accessible after HomeGroup removed

shared folders not accessible after HomeGroup removed: I have three computers, two of them connected directly to the router, one over WiFi. All three of them run the latest version of Win 10 built 1803 (build 17134.191) . Ever since I upgraded the computers to 1803 and HomeGroup was removed, I have been having problems with...
  8. homegroup sharing

homegroup sharing: I have a new laptop with windows 10 Pro. I have an older home pc with windows 10 home. I set up homegroup on the laptop and received the homegroup code but do not see where to enter that share code on the home pc. I just want to have access to pictures on both. I setup...
  9. Windows 10 file sharing videos to android vlc after homegroup removal.

Windows 10 file sharing videos to android vlc after homegroup removal.: Hello, I used to use the Windows 10 HomeGroup file sharing to allow my android device to view videos from my PC, however after removing HomeGroup in the 1803 update I no longer can share my videos, and I can not for the life of me figure out this new folder sharing. For...
  10. How to share files now there's no Homegroup?

How to share files now there's no Homegroup?: At the risk of sounding stupid, now 1803 has removed Homegroup, how do I share/transfer files over to other computers on a network/linked up to the same router? The Homegroup never worked properly anyway, probably due to Windows Firewall being on, but sometimes certain...