Windows 10: hooking up a TV

Discus and support hooking up a TV in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I want to hook up video from my video card (NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT) to my TV (making it my second monitor). My card has 2 DVI ports and one is for my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by snikr, Nov 16, 2016.

1. snikr Win User

hooking up a TV

I want to hook up video from my video card (NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT) to my TV (making it my second monitor). My card has 2 DVI ports and one is for my monitor. I have no more HDMI ports on the TV so I need to use RCA or S-Video to connect the computer and the TV. I've tried a DVI to S-Video adapter and it doesn't work. Anybody have an ideas that might help me. Or am I just wasting my time?

:)

snikr, Nov 16, 2016

2. how do I hook up my Lumia 635 to work tv

how do I hook up my Lumia 635 to work tvhow do I hook up my Lumia 635 to work tvhow do I hook up my Lumia 635 to work tv

JeffreyThompson(), Nov 16, 2016
  3. TVs as monitors

I hooked up the two TVs with HDMI cords the one I'm using works but, the other TV can't be detected for some reason

Gamewarrior077, Nov 16, 2016
  4. hooking up a TV

The video card may have a DVI-I and a DVI-D or combination there of. DVI-I is integrated Digital and Analog. DVI-D is digital only. Any type of DVI to VGA or S-Video won't work on a DVI-D port, it has no analog signal. Try switching the S-Video adapter to the other DVI port. A lot of cards have one DVI-D and one DVI-I ports. They are usually marked somehow so you know which one to connect the DVI to VGA adapter too.

alphanumeric, Nov 16, 2016
  5. Neemobeer Win User
    You can tell by just looking at the port. If the big flat pin has two small pins above and below it, it is DVI-I if it doesn't it's DVI-D

Neemobeer, Nov 16, 2016
  6. Yes, on the male end of the cable its easy to tell. It's not so easy on the video cards female jack to tell though. The holes are sometimes all there, but the connectors are missing on the inside. *Wink Sometimes even the pins are there, just not hooked up to anything. They just buy the 1 DVI-I connector in bulk and use it across the board.

alphanumeric, Nov 16, 2016
  7. bobkn Win User
    Is a DVI-I to S Video adapter an active device? (Seems like it would have to be.)

DVI-I to VGA is passive (simple, and cheap). The VGA resolution of the 9500 GT is spec'd at 2048x1536 (not sure about the frequency, but I assume that it's at least 60 Hz), so that would cover an HD TV (1920 X 1080).

bobkn, Nov 17, 2016
  8. snikr Win User

hooking up a TV

I tried it in both output ports with no luck. I did read someplace that you need a converter to go from DVI to S-Video. I think that was about getting analog output but not sure. I did get my audio to work. That was easy.

snikr, Nov 17, 2016
  9. Link, make model etc of the adapter your using now? If both ports are DVI-D you need an active adapter that actually changes digital to analog.

alphanumeric, Nov 18, 2016
  10. snikr Win User
    That is what I'm thinking I have to do.

snikr, Nov 18, 2016
  11. snikr Win User
    I don't know how I missed it but my video card has a s-video output port on it. It is a 7 pin out and I have a 4 pin cable but I'm working on fixing that.

snikr, Nov 19, 2016
  12. pbcopter Win User
    You could also use a HDMI switch to add your computer to the TV. The one I have automatically senses the signal and switches to what is just powered on.

HDMI Switch

pbcopter, Nov 20, 2016
  13. snikr Win User

hooking up a TV

I wish I could but my old TV is out of HDMI ports.

snikr, Nov 21, 2016
  14. pbcopter Win User
    That's the point of the HDMI switch, you connect your PC HDMI and one of the other HDMI cables from one of your other devices (removed from the TV) to the HDMI switch, then it connects to the TV. It gives you additional HDMI capability. The switch I have shown would give you an extra HDMI port in addition to the PC. They also make a 5 port switch that is about the same price.

pbcopter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

hooking up a TV

1. hooking up a TV - Similar Threads - hooking

2. Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?: I've been using this SSD for some time now and I have over 300GB of important documents, videos, and photos I need access to but it will show me contents in any other folder. I've tried to every other way, even trying to boot from it even when it used to boot it wouldn't...
  3. Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?: I've been using this SSD for some time now and I have over 300GB of important documents, videos, and photos I need access to but it will show me contents in any other folder. I've tried to every other way, even trying to boot from it even when it used to boot it wouldn't...
  4. I have an hard drive from my desktop pc, when I try to hook it up to my laptop, the hard...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have an hard drive from my desktop pc, when I try to hook it up to my laptop, the hard...: My desktop pc crashed, I took the hard drive out to try to save my media. It shows no media and doesn't show up as a drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-an-hard-drive-from-my-desktop-pc-when-i-try/1846fbc7-f7c8-470e-ad53-f1359689c60a
  5. I have an hard drive from my desktop pc, when I try to hook it up to my laptop, the hard...

I have an hard drive from my desktop pc, when I try to hook it up to my laptop, the hard...: My desktop pc crashed, I took the hard drive out to try to save my media. It shows no media and doesn't show up as a drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-an-hard-drive-from-my-desktop-pc-when-i-try/1846fbc7-f7c8-470e-ad53-f1359689c60a
  6. Why won't my new Lenovo Laptop hook up and print on my Brother HL-5250DN?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't my new Lenovo Laptop hook up and print on my Brother HL-5250DN?: I can print to my Epson Workforce 2540 over the local network but NOT TO my Brother HL-5250DN.I have tried to install drivers and that doesn't work. This is a PAIN!!...
  7. Why won't my new Lenovo Laptop hook up and print on my Brother HL-5250DN?

Why won't my new Lenovo Laptop hook up and print on my Brother HL-5250DN?: I can print to my Epson Workforce 2540 over the local network but NOT TO my Brother HL-5250DN.I have tried to install drivers and that doesn't work. This is a PAIN!!...
  8. Windows 11 pc hooked up to Samsung tv, not being able change brightness, colors etc....

Windows 11 pc hooked up to Samsung tv, not being able change brightness, colors etc....: Hello, I've spend hours now trying to fix an annoying problem in which my screen a Samsung tv adjusts the brightness of the screen when the image of the video is dark. Instead of making it brighter, it darkens it even more, making it unwatchable. Trying to solve this issue...
  9. Windows 11 pc hooked up to Samsung tv, not being able change brightness, colors etc....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 pc hooked up to Samsung tv, not being able change brightness, colors etc....: Hello, I've spend hours now trying to fix an annoying problem in which my screen a Samsung tv adjusts the brightness of the screen when the image of the video is dark. Instead of making it brighter, it darkens it even more, making it unwatchable. Trying to solve this issue...
  10. I’m having a problem with hooking up to the internet and it’s a brand new pc

I’m having a problem with hooking up to the internet and it’s a brand new pc: I got my brand new pc today and started setting it up it got my language my country and the my key board style so then it wanted me to connect to a network for for security and internet but for some reason it will not find any internet and only say not connected to Ethernet...