Windows 10: Hording Useless PC Parts

Discus and support Hording Useless PC Parts in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was in high tech work since 1960, analog back then, and digital since before 1968. Started building or buying PCs from then mid-1970’s and continued... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dustymars, Mar 22, 2018.

1. dustymars Win User

Hording Useless PC Parts

I was in high tech work since 1960, analog back then, and digital since before 1968. Started building or buying PCs from then mid-1970’s and continued until the present. Like many users I horde parts for some strange reason and have several hard drives from 80G to 300G laying around that I will never use; so am at a loss to what to do with them. Funny, huh? Guess the best thing to do is to throw them in the trash. Why do we horde junk?

:)

dustymars, Mar 22, 2018
  2. synth_fg Win User

Nokia N8 Phone Memory Problem

I find with the N8 that a full reset is nessicary to clear out the memory

Symbyan creates in the background hords of small log files which over time clutter up the non accesable parts of the C drive,

A reset will clear this

Just make sure to back everything up first

synth_fg, Mar 22, 2018
  3. Gears of war 4 error

I'm trying to play the game on xbox one. I don't have a gold membership but im not trying to play online, I'm trying to play the versus mode and horde mode with the computer/private. The system gives me that error code just by clicking on the versus or
    horde mode. So, problem has not been solved.

JessicacaPooP, Mar 22, 2018
  4. debsawyer Win User

Hording Useless PC Parts

That's what I did. I have old video cards, IDE cables, modems, etc. I started dumping stuff a few years ago. I have been repairing computers since 2005.

debsawyer, Mar 22, 2018
  5. dustymars Win User
    debsawyer, not sure why I started hording parts, but it's kind of a habit. I'm getting old so that may be it *Smile

dustymars, Mar 22, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    I have 8080 Mb 5 1/4 floppies 20 meg HDs and loads more often they are worth loads of money as firms run old systems and cant get old parts

Samuria, Mar 22, 2018
  7. Old hard drives have good magnets...take them apart, keep the magnets, mount the magnets to a wall and hang your tools from them. Or keep a door close that will not stay shut. That's what I use them for...

play2mefish, Mar 22, 2018
  8. sml156 Win User

Hording Useless PC Parts

I use the hard drive magnets as fridge magnet's, It's amazing how powerful they are.

sml156, Mar 22, 2018
  9. +1 on the magnets-- they're excellent!

Geekomatic, Mar 22, 2018
  10. lx07 Win User
    I'm not sure if they are still doing it but if you post your disk (plus .69 cents) to this guy he'll shoot it with a big rifle.

WTB your broken SSDs because SCIENCE! | [H]ard|Forum

More fun than throwing them in the trash but you'd be losing money each time - especially if it became a habit and you had to buy drives specifically for this purpose.

Personally I hoard stuff on the off chance it will be useful later. It never never is.

11. CountMike New Member
    Every now and than I collect (fancy word for hoard) enough parts to make another system and give it to somebody. For some 10 years I was servicing computers at home so I had a lot of (mostly un-servicable) parts stashed in the basement. One day I collected them all and sold for recycling, made some 300 Euro out of them.

CountMike, Mar 22, 2018
  12. swarfega Win User
    Wish I'd kept my first PC which was a 286.

swarfega, Mar 22, 2018
  13. CountMike New Member

Hording Useless PC Parts

I wish I still had my first computer Heathkit Z-150 (IBM based processor). Left it in Canada together with a bunch of Timex Sinclair, Atari, 286 and other ones.

CountMike, Mar 22, 2018
  14. swarfega Win User
    Wow! I would feel empty after leaving all that behind!

swarfega, Mar 22, 2018
  15. CountMike New Member
    Didn't take too long to start hoarding, err.... collecting even more. When I returned to Serbia in1998, sanctions were just lifted and everybody wanted to upgrade their ancient computers.

CountMike, Mar 22, 2018
Thema:

Hording Useless PC Parts

1. Hording Useless PC Parts - Similar Threads - Hording Useless Parts

2. New PC Parts/Motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New PC Parts/Motherboard: Hi, im upgrading my entire pc, except for the storage and i want to know, can i reinstall windows, do i need to buy another licence, and how does that actually work?Since im switching from intel to AMD, i would like to reinstall it, would the "reset my pc" feature work for...
  3. New PC Parts/Motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New PC Parts/Motherboard: Hi, im upgrading my entire pc, except for the storage and i want to know, can i reinstall windows, do i need to buy another licence, and how does that actually work?Since im switching from intel to AMD, i would like to reinstall it, would the "reset my pc" feature work for...
  4. 20H2 update rendered my PC useless

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    20H2 update rendered my PC useless: I have an Alienware R8 with RTX 2070. I started off with that because people with a somewhat related issue are saying that they are stuck on the boot screen but in my case my computer displays nothing at all. After the update I can power up my PC and the lights on the desktop...
  5. KBB5003173 nearly made my PC useless

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KBB5003173 nearly made my PC useless: I found Windows had chosen to restart itself late tonight, installing that and KB4601554 on its own. Shortly after the PC began having screen issues followed by rebooting itself after 2-4 minutes. Event viewer shows multiple errors and warnings each time. Trying to go to a...
  6. useless update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    useless update: why was this update forced on people ? half the websites are blocked all of a sudden. this "new" version is garbage , not user friendly to try to undue all the changes it did . you should just bring back the old explorer version. how do you unblock the internet...
  7. New PC parts, BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New PC parts, BSOD: Hi, everybody, A week and a half ago I replaced most parts of my PC. At first Windows ran fairly stable, but I had some crashes and crashed some heavier games after a while. To exclude that the problems were caused by the Windows installation taken from the old system, I...
  8. w10 useless

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    w10 useless: OK so 1st off = no sound eventually after many hours/days I downloaded something that worked, no tanks to microsoft. 2nd problem device driver recognises my 2 nd h/drive bit not windows, great can't acces music videos docs pics, really great.#Why you cant make something...
  9. Cortana Useless

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cortana Useless: Got a new laptop and finally got Windows 10 to activate. Cortana doesnt respond AND I also want to print to a wireless printer direct like I do from my phone but all the directions talk about a network. I dont have a network nor do I have access to one. Can I print to an HP...
  10. Useless Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Useless Taskbar: Problem: Can't use Cortana search, open notifications or open the start menu. Can't run Insider Hub either I've been searching google all day and tried several methods with no results. * I created a powershell.exe file on the desktop and ran as administrator to use the...