Windows 10: Horizontal scrolling on the START screen

Discus and support Horizontal scrolling on the START screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I really like windows 8.1 and organized my icons into groups across the START screen. (In order of diminishing importance to me). I can easily swap... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Morepork, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Morepork Win User

Horizontal scrolling on the START screen

I really like windows 8.1 and organized my icons into groups across the START screen. (In order of diminishing importance to me). I can easily swap between the desktop and START with the Windows key so everything is easy to find and to use. When Win 10 was released I took the free upgrade (as it nagged me to *really) and kind of hoped it would reproduce the organization I already had established for Win 8.1.

Sadly, it didn't. Although the OS is good and stable it requires my START screen groups to be organized DOWN rather than ACROSS. This is just awful because much that was previously on-screen is now off-screen and instead of flicking between START and desktop I now have to flick to START then scroll down looking for stuff.

I searched for a number of hours and the best I could find was to make the START screen full-screen. This helps a little bit, but I still have to scroll down to find stuff.

I understand that Win 10 is running across different form factors and mobile phones are Portrait (where scrolling down makes sense), but laptops are generally Landscape, where we need to be able to scroll ACROSS in order to best utilize the screen real estate. (Obviously, it is very intuitive with a touch screen, but even without one, a horizontal scroll facility on the START screen would be very useful.)

It seems there is no chance of this happening as the current scrolling is "by design". If any MS designers are reading this, would you please have mercy and make it a configurable option? If you are going to cover all form factors could you please do that and not make some work at the expense of others?

Does ANYONE know of a way in which I can get horizontal scrolling back? (WITHOUT reverting to 8.1, although that looks like being the only option for my remaining development machines... it is such a pity; I REALLY wanted to have everything on Win 10.)

:)

Morepork, Mar 10, 2016
  2. Sushil259 Win User

Windows 10 Mobile Start Screen

It is a suggestion to improve the look of Start Screen. It will be better if start screen which is scrolling vertically be changed to horizontal scrolling with a option to pin tiles or leave blank for inserting clock or any photo wallpaper. Two or three
    horizontal scrolling screens may be provided.

Sushil259, Mar 10, 2016
  3. Can't enlarge the tiles positions in Windows 10

Yeah a lot of Windows 8 users are missing the Start screen scrolling horizontally since it lines up with what phones and tablets do. There are even still parts in the Store that behave that way.

But when Microsoft wanted to please the desktop people, they went to the vertical scroll for basically everything. Personally I think that they should have stuck with the horizontal scroll for the Start Screen. And they should still use the full screen
    for the All apps when the person is using the Start Screen.

You might consider voting up such suggestions in the Windows Feedback app. Just search for Feedback.

A_User_Here, Mar 10, 2016
Thema:

Horizontal scrolling on the START screen

1. Horizontal scrolling on the START screen - Similar Threads - Horizontal scrolling START

2. Fuzzy and smeary screen with a scrolling horizontal line

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fuzzy and smeary screen with a scrolling horizontal line: OS: Windows 10 Enterprise 21H2 64-bitHello, I'm having trouble with the screen on my Lenovo L14 Gen 2 being hazy and distorted when I open various applications, especially when scrolling or making a video call. Even after trying to remove all monitors and display drivers,...
  3. Fuzzy and smeary screen with a scrolling horizontal line

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fuzzy and smeary screen with a scrolling horizontal line: OS: Windows 10 Enterprise 21H2 64-bitHello, I'm having trouble with the screen on my Lenovo L14 Gen 2 being hazy and distorted when I open various applications, especially when scrolling or making a video call. Even after trying to remove all monitors and display drivers,...
  4. Fuzzy and smeary screen with a scrolling horizontal line

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Invert HORIZONTAL Scrolling

in Windows 10 Customization
    Invert HORIZONTAL Scrolling: Hi, I have figured out how to invert the vertical scrolling in Windows 10 by changing the value from 0 to 1 in the registry, but I would also like to invert the horizontal scrolling. Any tips? Thanks!...
  6. Horizontal Scrolling

Horizontal Scrolling: I am having this issue where if I can hover over anything that can scroll horizontally it does that automatically without me doing anything. I bought a new mouse to see if that was the issue and it isnt. I have pressed the shift button and that stops it then if I release it...
  7. Surface Dial horizontal scroll

in Windows 10 Customization
    Surface Dial horizontal scroll: Is there any way to get the Surface Dial to scroll left/right horizontally? When you're in Settings --> Devices --> Wheel, the default tools have a vertical scroll which is great for things like browsers but I need a horizontal scroll tool (for things like audio/video...
  8. Mouse Horizontal Scrolling Not Working

Mouse Horizontal Scrolling Not Working: Has anyone solved this problem yet? Tried all suggestions/recommendations on previous threads. Nothing has worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-horizontal-scrolling-not-working/f4d27346-2c28-4190-8a53-b60750edfdf5
  9. Horizontal Scrolling

Horizontal Scrolling: Suddenly, my Win10 desktop has been reacting oddly when mousing. Instead of scolling vertically with the wheel, it scrolls horizontally. The problem doesn't seem to be with the mouse. I've tested three wireless and one corded with same results. Secondly, when moving pointer...
  10. Horizontal Scroll Jump

in Windows 10 Support
    Horizontal Scroll Jump: Has there been any progress in fixing Windows 10 way of auto scrolling to the right/jumping to the left in a folder when you try to select a file with the mouse? 110558

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start horizontal scroll

2. stop horizontal scrolling windows 10

3. miss the horizontal scrolling in windows 8.1

4. horizontal scrolling windows 10 start screen