Windows 10: Hosts file - made some additions but can't now remove them

Discus and support Hosts file - made some additions but can't now remove them in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. This seems odd - I opened Notepad as Admin, navigated to the hosts file and put in some new lines. There was no problem in doing so and I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dortmunder, May 30, 2019.

1. Hosts file - made some additions but can't now remove them

Hi. This seems odd - I opened Notepad as Admin, navigated to the hosts file and put in some new lines. There was no problem in doing so and I don't recall having to change txt to allfiles.

But now I want to undo my changes and when I try to save as allfiles, a new hosts.txt is created and the 'hosts' with no suffix (and unwanted entries) is still there.

Why was I able to change it in the first place and how do I change it back? My grateful thanks if you can help.

:)

dortmunder, May 30, 2019

2. Hosts file editing

I have to jump in and say I use, and have used the host file for years. It's an easy way to take stress off of old name servers. I don't add everything, but major shares I do add to the host file. I've used the host file for some tunneling as well. I try to optimize my network as much as possible and I have a solid network. But Easy Rhino is right as well, you'll want to have everything he suggested as well. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, May 30, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Remove additional Langauges

Hi,

It is possible that you need to configure your keyboard layout that is why you still see it in the list even you already remove it. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps on this

thread
    shared by DikkeryDok last October 27, 2017 to on how to remove additional language.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, May 30, 2019
  4. Vesao Win User

Hosts file - made some additions but can't now remove them

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, May 30, 2019
Thema:

Hosts file - made some additions but can't now remove them

1. Hosts file - made some additions but can't now remove them - Similar Threads - Hosts file made

2. Files encrypted, can't copy or access them

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files encrypted, can't copy or access them: A few days ago, I started having issues with my PC, apparently needed a fresh install by wiping out my drive and reinstalling windows. I managed to transfer all my files to my hard drive but now I cannot copy them back to the PC or access them, as for some reason they have...
  3. Made some...minor...changes to BIOS...now PC won't boot!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Made some...minor...changes to BIOS...now PC won't boot!!: Hi PC was working pretty flawlessly, but I wanted to get rid of the MSI logo on boot-up! Went into Bios as usual....and switched off logo Also...disabled on board HD audio (as an experiment!) as I use an NVidia 1050ti for audio and video. Saved changes...and attempted to...
  4. Using "removing file properties" does not remove them.

Using "removing file properties" does not remove them.: Hello, Before updating to the 1083 build If I right clicked and removed image file properties, it would create a copy with just the size and pixel amount. Now when I attempt to remove properties, there is a copy created with my desktop info and file directory location still...
  5. Facebook Removing Additional Inauthentic Activity

in Windows 10 News
    Facebook Removing Additional Inauthentic Activity: People need to be able to trust the connections they make on Facebook. It’s why we have a policy banning coordinated inauthentic behavior — networks of accounts or Pages working to mislead others about who they are, and what they are doing. This year, we’ve enforced this...
  6. Remove Host OpenAL?

in Browsers and Email
    Remove Host OpenAL?: Got this message popped up in Chrome asking me to remove Host OpenAL, possibly due to incompatibility. Host Open AL is something from Creative (Soundblaster) but I'm not exactly sure what. Does anybody have any clue what this is about? [img] 116247
  7. Made a boo-boo - now can't run Sticky Notes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Made a boo-boo - now can't run Sticky Notes: I somehow managed to enable the built-in administrator account - now Sticky Notes won't run, but I get this: [img] it says The app cannot be run Sticky Notes cannot be run using the built-in administrator account. Log in using another account and try again....
  8. Can additions be made to Media Player Visualizations?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can additions be made to Media Player Visualizations?: I've just discovered the Visualizations feature in Windows Media Player when playing music. In one place, there is a download button to supposedly download additional visualizations. When I click it, nothing happens. I've also used Google to try to find downloads from other...
  9. Hosts file

Hosts file: How can I reset the Hosts file back to the default? pls Is This good? 30362
  10. Hosts file

in Windows 10 Support
    Hosts file: should the Hosts file be made read only ? 51243