Windows 10: Hosts file - made some additions but can't now remove them

Discus and support Hosts file - made some additions but can't now remove them in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. This seems odd - I opened Notepad as Admin, navigated to the hosts file and put in some new lines. There was no problem in doing so and I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dortmunder, May 30, 2019.

1. Hosts file - made some additions but can't now remove them

Hi. This seems odd - I opened Notepad as Admin, navigated to the hosts file and put in some new lines. There was no problem in doing so and I don't recall having to change txt to allfiles.

But now I want to undo my changes and when I try to save as allfiles, a new hosts.txt is created and the 'hosts' with no suffix (and unwanted entries) is still there.

Why was I able to change it in the first place and how do I change it back? My grateful thanks if you can help.

:)

dortmunder, May 30, 2019

2. Hosts file editing

I have to jump in and say I use, and have used the host file for years. It's an easy way to take stress off of old name servers. I don't add everything, but major shares I do add to the host file. I've used the host file for some tunneling as well. I try to optimize my network as much as possible and I have a solid network. But Easy Rhino is right as well, you'll want to have everything he suggested as well. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, May 30, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Remove additional Langauges

Hi,

It is possible that you need to configure your keyboard layout that is why you still see it in the list even you already remove it. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps on this

thread
    shared by DikkeryDok last October 27, 2017 to on how to remove additional language.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, May 30, 2019
  4. Vesao Win User

Hosts file - made some additions but can't now remove them

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, May 30, 2019
Thema:

Hosts file - made some additions but can't now remove them

1. Hosts file - made some additions but can't now remove them - Similar Threads - Hosts file made

2. Can't edit the hosts file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't edit the hosts file: I figured out a workaround: Go into Safe Mode. I was having issues with being unable to save changes because file was open in the system. There are quite a few threads about this, all of them locked now, but none seem to mention trying Safe Mode. All the complicated talks of...
  3. Can't edit the hosts file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't edit the hosts file: I figured out a workaround: Go into Safe Mode. I was having issues with being unable to save changes because file was open in the system. There are quite a few threads about this, all of them locked now, but none seem to mention trying Safe Mode. All the complicated talks of...
  4. Can't edit the hosts file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Additional language what can't be removed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Additional language what can't be removed: After some time another keyboard scheme is shown in my system what doesn't show anythere https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/additional-language-what-cant-be-removed/9ef57d4e-edab-4a7c-8d42-7a0353ea6042
  6. Can't remove additional input method

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't remove additional input method: I only have two languages in Settings but three input methods are displayed in the right-bottom language bar, with an additional English Singapore.Have tried to remove the extra input method by installing English Singapore in Settings and then delete it. I succeed every time...
  7. Can't remove german and english keyboards, removing them causes some apps not to launch

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't remove german and english keyboards, removing them causes some apps not to launch: I've bought yesterday Minecraft Dungeons, played it hours long. Today, clicking on its icon opened the store page of Gaming services. When I tried to launch the game from its store page, nothing happened, verifying the game didn't do anything so I deleted it and tried to...
  8. Can't edit host file

Can't edit host file: I can't edit the hosts file at all. I tried nearly all the solutions I found here, on Youtube and other sites and none of them worked, including the one on notepad and using cmd. I literally can't do anything with the file. I can't copy, I can't move to another location, I...
  9. Locked files. Now can't see them

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Locked files. Now can't see them: Today I tried to lock an HDD and now I'm unable to see its contents even as administrator. I right-clicked on the hdd and changed the rights from EVERYONE rejecting them all with the logic that anyone rather than me and these profiles couldn't be able to saw/edit them....
  10. Can't edit Hosts file

Can't edit Hosts file: In the Path system32/Drivers/etc/hosts - the file does not show up but can be opened with win+r (notepad %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/hosts). When i try to edit it i cant save it and when i try to replace it dosent give me permission. the host file has a bunch of video game...