Windows 10: Hosts file

Discus and support Hosts file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am embarrassed that I forgot on change from Windows 7 to 10 I forgot until now to remember that only the sample Hosts file was installed. Now I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chipwood, Nov 1, 2017.

1. chipwood Win User

Hosts file

I am embarrassed that I forgot on change from Windows 7 to 10 I forgot until now to remember that only the sample Hosts file was installed. Now I cannot recall where the more comprehensive version came from or how to install it.

Please advise me.

:)

chipwood, Nov 1, 2017
  2. Spigolo Win User

File Hosts permissions

You're totally right ZigZag.

This is the exact message I receive.

Etc folder security properties show nothing set for Administrators group.

Thank you.

Spigolo, Nov 1, 2017
  3. File Hosts permissions

I appreciate all the information.

We suggest that you create a new user on the same computer to check if the issue will persist. If not, it's possible that the affected user account is corrupted. An SFC scan is recommended to
    help you scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. To do this, click on this link

Let us know how it goes.

Jhessica Sur, Nov 1, 2017
  4. Hosts file

There is no generic "more comprehensive" hosts file. You either use the sample containing only comments (which is fine for almost everybody) or you build one specific for your needs. If you need a specific set of host definitions you are sort of on your own.

I just noticed that I have an old, obsolete hosts file pointing to a no longer used IP address. Luckily, it hasn't caused any problem and I apparently don't need a valid address for that host name. But this highlights a potential problem with a hosts file: you can easily forget about it. When your network configuration changes an unmaintained hosts file can cause connectivity problems. You're best off not using one unless you absolutely need it.

pokeefe0001, Nov 2, 2017
  5. yokar Win User
    yokar, Nov 2, 2017
  6. chipwood Win User
    Could be! MVPS does ring a faint bell.

chipwood, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Hosts file

1. Hosts file - Similar Threads - Hosts file

2. On Windows 11, file explorer ignores new entries in the hosts file.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On Windows 11, file explorer ignores new entries in the hosts file.: I tried to access a file server across a VPN using Windows File Explorer and it could not resolve the name, but that's another issue. I edited the hosts file to add the file server's name. I can ping the server by name, so I know that I don't have a format of file issue. But...
  3. On Windows 11, file explorer ignores new entries in the hosts file.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    On Windows 11, file explorer ignores new entries in the hosts file.: I tried to access a file server across a VPN using Windows File Explorer and it could not resolve the name, but that's another issue. I edited the hosts file to add the file server's name. I can ping the server by name, so I know that I don't have a format of file issue. But...
  4. windows script host the system cannot find the specified file divi32.vbs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows script host the system cannot find the specified file divi32.vbs: windows script host the system cannot find the specified file divi32.vbs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-script-host-the-system-cannot-find-the/8f1f4f39-dc32-43e9-b24c-dfe1b35a7ef3
  5. windows script host the system cannot find the specified file divi32.vbs

windows script host the system cannot find the specified file divi32.vbs: windows script host the system cannot find the specified file divi32.vbs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-script-host-the-system-cannot-find-the/8f1f4f39-dc32-43e9-b24c-dfe1b35a7ef3
  6. windows script host the system cannot find the specified file divi32.vbs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. This action can’t be completed because the file is open in Windows host process Rundll32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    This action can’t be completed because the file is open in Windows host process Rundll32: Whenever I try to delete, move, or otherwise change the location of a file I am met with this error code. This only occurs in my B drive, which is an internal SATA SSD....
  8. A File called "Windows Host Process Rundll32" has been accessing my microphone at random...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A File called "Windows Host Process Rundll32" has been accessing my microphone at random...: A File called "Windows Host Process Rundll32" has been accessing my microphone at random intervals. I have done virus checks and it doesn't look like malware but I'm not 100% sure. I'm using windows 11. Any help would be great thanks!...
  9. A File called "Windows Host Process Rundll32" has been accessing my microphone at random...

A File called "Windows Host Process Rundll32" has been accessing my microphone at random...: A File called "Windows Host Process Rundll32" has been accessing my microphone at random intervals. I have done virus checks and it doesn't look like malware but I'm not 100% sure. I'm using windows 11. Any help would be great thanks!...
  10. I need to change my hosts file back to its original state

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I need to change my hosts file back to its original state: A month ago I was trying to keep my computer safe as I was paranoid about malware and scams so I put in a large hosts file in place of the original. It went through fine but then my use of network connection as a whole is severely lessened, so much so apps won't run and no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hosts file

2. windows script host error cannot script file - for everybody

3. windows phone hosts file