Windows 10: Hosts file

Discus and support Hosts file in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Greetings, I have my hosts file that’s corrupted and can’t open with notepad and tried to give permission but there’s nothing to add or grant it’s... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/esorb65, May 4, 2020.

1. Hosts file

Greetings,

I have my hosts file that’s corrupted and can’t open with notepad and tried to give permission but there’s nothing to add or grant it’s empty I tired to use a software to unlock it and says cannot find path windows/system32/drivers/etc I’ve tried to boot in safe mode but no luck the only other option is to reload my win10 over again

submitted by /u/esorb65
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/esorb65, May 4, 2020

2. Hosts file editing

I have to jump in and say I use, and have used the host file for years. It's an easy way to take stress off of old name servers. I don't add everything, but major shares I do add to the host file. I've used the host file for some tunneling as well. I try to optimize my network as much as possible and I have a solid network. But Easy Rhino is right as well, you'll want to have everything he suggested as well. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, May 4, 2020
  3. Browser /connection security, hosts file and DNS service

You're saying that Open DNS(and other services like it) house their own list of known 'bad' sites, and by using their DNS servers, it will filter out sites based on that list?

Would you believe I was already using Open DNS servers.
    This means the hosts file is moot?

And furthering that, if there's any bespoke sites I want to manually add, I could do it through my router directly.

Thus I can empty my local hosts file and turn my DNS service back on?

newconroer, May 4, 2020
  4. Louie Del Win User

Hosts file

Modern setup host

Hi Hermie,

Regarding your concern with the deleted Modern Setup Host file, we’d like to ask the following questions so we can isolate it at the same time:

• What particular action that you’re trying to perform at the time that it was accidentally deleted.?
    • May we know where and how it was deleted on your computer?
    • Were you able to check if the deleted file can be found in the
      Recycle bin?

As an initial step, we suggest that perform a DISM command. This will help repairing possible system file corruptions. Follow these steps:

• Type command in the search box.
    • Right-click on the result and select Run as administrator.
    • Type this command: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • Press Enter.
    • Close the Command Prompt windows and check if changes were made related to the Modern Setup Host file.

We'll wait for your update after trying the steps.

Louie Del, May 4, 2020
Thema:

Hosts file

1. Hosts file - Similar Threads - Hosts file

2. windows script host the system cannot find the specified file divi32.vbs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows script host the system cannot find the specified file divi32.vbs: windows script host the system cannot find the specified file divi32.vbs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-script-host-the-system-cannot-find-the/8f1f4f39-dc32-43e9-b24c-dfe1b35a7ef3
  3. windows script host the system cannot find the specified file divi32.vbs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows script host the system cannot find the specified file divi32.vbs: windows script host the system cannot find the specified file divi32.vbs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-script-host-the-system-cannot-find-the/8f1f4f39-dc32-43e9-b24c-dfe1b35a7ef3
  4. windows script host the system cannot find the specified file divi32.vbs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. This action can’t be completed because the file is open in Windows host process Rundll32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    This action can’t be completed because the file is open in Windows host process Rundll32: Whenever I try to delete, move, or otherwise change the location of a file I am met with this error code. This only occurs in my B drive, which is an internal SATA SSD....
  6. A File called "Windows Host Process Rundll32" has been accessing my microphone at random...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A File called "Windows Host Process Rundll32" has been accessing my microphone at random...: A File called "Windows Host Process Rundll32" has been accessing my microphone at random intervals. I have done virus checks and it doesn't look like malware but I'm not 100% sure. I'm using windows 11. Any help would be great thanks!...
  7. A File called "Windows Host Process Rundll32" has been accessing my microphone at random...

A File called "Windows Host Process Rundll32" has been accessing my microphone at random...: A File called "Windows Host Process Rundll32" has been accessing my microphone at random intervals. I have done virus checks and it doesn't look like malware but I'm not 100% sure. I'm using windows 11. Any help would be great thanks!...
  8. I need to change my hosts file back to its original state

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I need to change my hosts file back to its original state: A month ago I was trying to keep my computer safe as I was paranoid about malware and scams so I put in a large hosts file in place of the original. It went through fine but then my use of network connection as a whole is severely lessened, so much so apps won't run and no...
  9. I need to change my hosts file back to its original state

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to change my hosts file back to its original state: A month ago I was trying to keep my computer safe as I was paranoid about malware and scams so I put in a large hosts file in place of the original. It went through fine but then my use of network connection as a whole is severely lessened, so much so apps won't run and no...
  10. I need to change my hosts file back to its original state