Windows 10: Hot Swap and fitting second Hard Drive

Discus and support Hot Swap and fitting second Hard Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I just received my purchased MEDION AKOYA P5218 F - Intel Core i5-6400, 2,7GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750, WLAN, Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by xyz, Nov 18, 2016.

1. XYZ
    xyz Win User

Hot Swap and fitting second Hard Drive

Hi

I just received my purchased MEDION AKOYA P5218 F - Intel Core i5-6400, 2,7GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750, WLAN, Windows 10 Desktop computer.

Since I had recently just bought a WD 1TB Black Hard Drive I wanted to fit this inside.

Although there appears to be a tiny cramped space for a second Hard Drive (have marked the place where I think it should go? and use any free electric cable in that bundle?) I was unable to see anywhere to plug the cable into the motherboard.

I bought this computer as replacement to my i3 3220 which was no longer good enough for my multimedia software; I did not have a lot of money over, but wanted an i5, so this was my compromise (but extremely wary - Medion!!). I did read it had a "Hot Swap" but did not really understand what this was (other than you could easily swap drives):

Hot-swap mobile rack - Swap hard drives quickly and easily – even while the PC is running. Perfect for data backups, data exchange and alternative operating systems.

http://www.medion.com/gb/shop/multim...ed-description

But fully understand I did not!

Anyway - and I am just guessing here - it looks like the Hot Swap is using the motherboard socket for a possible second Hard Drive. And there is no other free socket.

So - guessing again - if I have understand correctly from Google searches - the Hot Swap is not intended to be used as a second internal Hard Drive ? Or have I understood wrong? Can it be used for my second Hard Drive?

Really confused here about this!!! SO HELP!

If not I guess I will have to unplug the Hot Swap and use this to plug my second Hard Drive?

ANOTHER but related question:

The built in Hard Drive looks to be a 1 TB WD Blue

The Hard Drive I want to build in is a 1 TB WD Black

As far as I can tell the Black is a better drive than the Blue (was certainly more expensive)

So should I move the system (if I am capable of doing this easy - have no experience and not that computer technical) from the Blue to the Black? (does it bring significant performance or none?)

Or just leave it as it is?

AND - guessing again - I figure I might be able to use this Hot Swap to somehow move my system over to the black (only if it is better for system performance?) - clone/copy - or? have never used such a thing (Hot Swap) before so unsure about this?

Really stuck here on this Hot Swap be glad of speedy help - and many thanks

Hot Swap and fitting second Hard Drive [​IMG]

:)

2. [LOG] Windows 10 upgrade repeatedly fails

Is there any sign that additional hard drives cause upgrade issues with Windows 10? They're all SATA on the motherboard. Not too difficult to test though, since all the drives are sitting in hot swap bays.

I don't overclock, my 4790K is in a retail configuration.

ocdtrekkie, Nov 18, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Anniversary - freezing/pausing

Like I said - was low on space on the laptop so had already deleted the install folders and roll back version. Of the three PCs, the desktop's drive is toast. The wife's laptop - she barely uses - so leaving it alone for now. On mine, I'll either image
    or store off any data on this HP 2540p laptop (am sure it will be slow), create a restore point, and try to switch the mode of the storage driver from AHCI to IDE using regedit. I occasionally hot swap in a 2tb drive that fits into the hot swap drive bay
    (DVD slot) of the laptop (that's what I back up to) - so in the future, will have to make sure I do the drive swapping when the system is shut down.

Yes, you are right. I'm three for three on the negative side of the Anniversary update - hope that most other's that do it aren't as affected.
    THIS IS A BIG ISSUE - hope that MS or Intel comes up with an updated driver for it soon.

sumsolstice95014, Nov 18, 2016
  4. pbcopter Win User

Yes you can use the hotswap drive tray for another "internal " hard drive. I could not tell from the description., is it a 3.5 inch drive tray?

I use 5 trays in my system, each containing a drive for storage as well as one for my operating system.
    This give a lot of flexibility.

pbcopter, Nov 18, 2016
  5. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    Thanks pbcopter

Really appreciate the help

I guess it is a 3.5 but don't know for sure.

I don't even know how it opens. Once you open the outside cover you see a tray with a handle on it (see photo) but how does this open - have tried gently pulling but it seems pretty firmly in place? Too afraid to pull it harder.

6. XYZ
    xyz Win User
    Okay got it open

So I can use this just the same as installing a second drive inside main housing - that's great

Do you have any thoughts on using the WD Black as main drive (transfering system to the WD Black - which I guess I can do by using this Hot Swap?) - or it is not worth the bother (risk - I am new to this) and leave the system on installed WD Blue?

Thanks

7. pbcopter Win User
    I would leave the operating system on the WD blue. The 1TB blue units are faster than the 1TB black drives.

pbcopter, Nov 19, 2016
  8. XYZ
    xyz Win User

okay pbcopter

thanks a lot

you have been really very helpfull
    really appreciate it a lot
    thanks

Thema:

1. Hot Swap and fitting second Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Hot Swap fitting

2. fitting a second hard drive broke windows activation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    fitting a second hard drive broke windows activation?: just noticed windows isn't activated. i've only had the pc for four days : in the middle of setting up a new pc, i got windows installed, then fitted a second hard drive with all my files on it. now windows is saying it isn't activated. i assume the "hardware change" is to...
  3. hard drive swap

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive swap: I have a new computer, and have that computer all setup. Can I take the old hard drive from the old computer and put it into the new computer (I dont need help on the mechanics). It is currently formatted for 2 logical drive. The current c: drive, I would reformat and use...
  4. Hot swap drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hot swap drive not showing up: Hi, I have a Win 10 computer with a 4 bay, 2 1/2" drive hot swap. Before Windows 10 November 2019 Update when I put a drive in a slot it was recognized, but after the update, it is not. If I reboot my computer it is then, recognized. Is there a fix for this? Thank you...
  5. Swapping hard drives

Swapping hard drives: How do I go about backing up windows to clone on a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swapping-hard-drives/fac9a444-4f53-480d-aebc-2c98f61997fa
  6. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I have recently purachsed a new laptop. A dell Inspiron 5570 and it came with a 1TB Hard Disk Drive. I also purchased a solid state drive with the plan to swap rhem out. I cant seem to figure out how to migrate the OS and files from the HDD to the SSD. I cannot boot...
  7. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 5570 with Windows 10 and a 1 lTB HDD. I also purchased A solid state drive seperately to replace the HDD. as it is a new drive i cannot boot from it. i have been unsuccessful in using my recovery drive on it or figuring out how to...
  8. install second hard drive hot?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    install second hard drive hot?: Hi All, I was under the impression that I was going to have a hard drive failure and purchased a new hard drive and cloned windows to it. it turned out my drive is fine, so I would like to use the drive as a second drive in my system. if I just plug it in, will my computer...
  9. Swapping Hard drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping Hard drives: Good Morning etc, okay I have a PC at home which has an external sata plugin for hard drives, last night I went to check a hard drive and plugged in the wrong one. The one I plugged was for another PC and had Windows 10 mounted in German my PC has English and is Windows 10 I...
  10. Use Hard Drive on hot swap as installation disk. Possible?

Use Hard Drive on hot swap as installation disk. Possible?: Hi, My Flash Drive's missing so I've thought about this idea. I have a spare HDD that I connect to an external (which emulates a flash drive. Every time I remove the HDD from it I make sure it is removed safely from my PC just like we do with a flash drive). I am...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is a hot swap rack on Medion pc

2. adding a new drive to a hot swap bay medion akoya