Windows 10: Hot swap drive not showing up

Discus and support Hot swap drive not showing up in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Win 10 computer with a 4 bay, 2 1/2" drive hot swap. Before Windows 10 November 2019 Update when I put a drive in a slot it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GregArikian1, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Hot swap drive not showing up

Hi, I have a Win 10 computer with a 4 bay, 2 1/2" drive hot swap.

Before Windows 10 November 2019 Update when I put a drive in a slot it was recognized, but after the update, it is not.

If I reboot my computer it is then, recognized.

Is there a fix for this?

Thank you

:)

GregArikian1, Nov 23, 2019
  2. cereberus Win User

Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten

You could create a batch file with diskpart that remove the drive letter and reassigns the one you want.
    The drive number n should be last on list.

Initially

diskpart
    list disk (to identify disk number)

Batch file e.g. letter.bat contains one line

diskpart /s letter.txt

and letter.txt contains

select disk n (n from above)
    remove
    assign letter= J (or whatever you want)
    exit

and each time you swap drive, just run letter.bat.

cereberus, Nov 23, 2019
  3. Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten

I have two SATA hot-swap drives that I alternate between each day for backups. When using Windows 7 I was able to assign the disks to g: and then after the initial assignment, windows would remember this and assign it to g: on each subsequent use.

But with Windows 10 it seems to forget the assignment after a reboot, and assigns d: (the first free letter) instead. (Quite possibly this isn't actually related to a difference between Win 7 / 10 though - when using Win 7 I had a drives on d:, e:, f:, and so g: was the first available letter. On Win 10 I no longer have the d: and f: drives attached, and so d: is now the first available letter.)

To be clear:
    • The hot swap disks are not permanently attached
    • Only one hot swap disk is ever attached at a time
    • Both hot swap disks have been assigned to g: (but this isn't sticking)

Anyone have any ideas?

djeyewater, Nov 23, 2019
  4. Hot swap drive not showing up

Windows 10 Hot Swap SATA dock

I just built a new PC with a Thermaltake Overseer RX-I case and an Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 motherboard.

I am running Windows 10 Pro.

I enabled AHCI for the Sata port that the dock built into the case is connected to. I also enabled hot swap for that Sata port only. I can boot up with a hard drive installed and it appears in my device list. I can insert the hard drive after boot up and
    it appears in my device list. But I have no way to "Eject" the Sata drive within Windows 10 because it does not show in the list of "Safely Remove Devices".

Previously I used Windows 7 on my old machine and a USB dock. The hard drive would be treated as a USB removable drive and be eligible for "Safely Eject".

What is needed to configure Windows or my Bios to allow for the Sata dock built into the case to be "hot swappable" and able to be safely removed without shutting down the PC?

Blackhawks2015, Nov 23, 2019
Thema:

Hot swap drive not showing up

1. Hot swap drive not showing up - Similar Threads - Hot swap drive

2. Accidently hot swapped internal SSD - damaged ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Accidently hot swapped internal SSD - damaged ?: I have a hardly used 250GB Kingston SSD that I plan on using in a new build for a neighbor. I thought I'd erase the previous files, so I opened up a spare pc and connected up the power + data. I went to hit the power button and it was already lit up - I must have accidently...
  3. Disable hot swap for internal HD's ?

Disable hot swap for internal HD's ?: Two windows 10 pc's both upgraded from win 7. One only shows the expected USB eject option when memory keys are inserted, the other also shows the two internal hard drives in the list !? No policy options available in the hard drive or controller options beyond the basic...
  4. Disable hot swap for internal HD's ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable hot swap for internal HD's ?: Two windows 10 pc's both upgraded from win 7. One only shows the expected USB eject option when memory keys are inserted, the other also shows the two internal hard drives in the list !? No policy options available in the hard drive or controller options beyond the basic...
  5. "Hot swap" does not work

"Hot swap" does not work: Hello I built a new PC with Windows 10 - 64 Bits For the hard drives, I use "extractable racks", so I could change the data disks when needed (thats what I hoed, as it worked fine on the previous Windows 7 PC) But, it seems this does not work If I boot the system with some...
  6. "Hot swap" does not work

in Windows 10 Support
    "Hot swap" does not work: Hello I built a new PC with Windows 10 - 64 Bits For the hard drives, I use "extractable racks", so I could change the data disks when needed (thats what I hoed, as it worked fine on the previous Windows 7 PC) But, it seems this does not work If I boot the system with some...
  7. Hot Swap and fitting second Hard Drive

Hot Swap and fitting second Hard Drive: Hi I just received my purchased MEDION AKOYA P5218 F - Intel Core i5-6400, 2,7GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750, WLAN, Windows 10 Desktop computer. Since I had recently just bought a WD 1TB Black Hard Drive I wanted to fit this inside. Although there...
  8. Sync v2.0 and hot swap box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sync v2.0 and hot swap box: Hi I ended up finally getting this device, Dual ssd swap case, Amazon.com: Vantec 2.5-Inch Dual Bay Trayless SATA III - 6G Mobile Rack (MRK-225S6-BK): Computers & Accessories Not sure how to go about using it though, This was referred to by @topgundcp to use because my...
  9. Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten

Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten: I have two SATA hot-swap drives that I alternate between each day for backups. When using Windows 7 I was able to assign the disks to g: and then after the initial assignment, windows would remember this and assign it to g: on each subsequent use. But with Windows 10 it...
  10. Use Hard Drive on hot swap as installation disk. Possible?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use Hard Drive on hot swap as installation disk. Possible?: Hi, My Flash Drive's missing so I've thought about this idea. I have a spare HDD that I connect to an external (which emulates a flash drive. Every time I remove the HDD from it I make sure it is removed safely from my PC just like we do with a flash drive). I am...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 hot swap drive disappeared