Windows 10: Hotkey to swap between default speakers and usb headset

Discus and support Hotkey to swap between default speakers and usb headset in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Win10 playback devices will not let me use both devices to hear thru. Only the device selected as 'default' will push sound out. So, I am looking for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DTG1, Jun 6, 2020.

1. DTG1 Win User

Hotkey to swap between default speakers and usb headset

Win10 playback devices will not let me use both devices to hear thru. Only the device selected as 'default' will push sound out. So, I am looking for a way to simply switch devices, a hotkey, shortcut, or even a Powershell script. It would be cool to have it on the context menu ( right click) as well.

At this point I'll take anything other than a 3rd party program, but wont rule it out as a very last resort.

So I found this > GitHub - frgnca/AudioDeviceCmdlets: AudioDeviceCmdlets is a suite of PowerShell Cmdlets to control audio devices on Windows

it works but I have no idea how to make a desktop shortcut.

I need 2 shortcuts one for Set-AudioDevice 1 and Set-AudioDevice 2
    to swap outputs

:)

DTG1, Jun 6, 2020

2. Automatically swap sound between speakers and headset?

Hi all, and apologies for the long post. I'm trying to thorough.

I currently have a Razer Kraken Pro Z analog headset (separate plugs for headphones and mic) plugged into the front audio and mic ports on my desktop. I have stereo speakers plugged into the back stereo port on my motherboard. I also have a Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro sound card in my computer that currently has nothing plugged into it because of my problem below. The audio/mic combo cable from my case that controls the front audio and mic ports is plugged into the front audio pins on my motherboard, not the Creative sound card. I am running Windows 10 64-bit.

I recently installed the Windows 10 Anniversary patch (I was one of the people who forever had patch instillation errors) and since then it’s been a constant struggle having audio play from the correct device without having to either unplug the speakers or the headset and changing what the default audio device is in the control panel. Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 pre-update all automatically switched the audio to my headset/headphones if the speakers were turned off, and would automatically turn the sound off in my headset/headphones if my speakers were turned on. This is no longer the case. Additionally, post-update my mic no longer works on my headset and my computer no longer seems to recognize the Microsoft HD webcam I have.

How can I have an analog headset plugged into the front audio and mic ports of my desktop, have speakers plugged into the speaker port on either my mobo or the Creative sound card, AND have Windows 10 automatically switch the audio (sound from speakers when speakers are turned on, otherwise sound from headset when speakers are turned off) without having to tinker with the default devices in the control panel every time I want to use either device?

I’ve tried:

— Setting the speakers as the default audio device and the headset as the default communication device in the control panel. All this does is permanently disable sound from the other device. Typically, the headset must be set to the default audio device, not default communication device, if I want to hear any sound from it. This isn't always the case though as sometimes the headset will randomly work as the default communications device.

— Using my Creative sound card as the default sound chip. The speakers were plugged into this card and the front audio/mic combo cable from my case was plugged into the front audio pins of this card. Nothing was plugged into or connected to the mobo’s audio ports and pins. In this configuration the sound would not automatically swap, requiring me to constantly reset default devices in the control panel depending on which I wanted to hear sound from. I think the mic worked by I don’t remember since I’ve been messing around with this problem for months.

— Ditching the Creative sound card entirely and instead connecting the front panel audio/mic combo cable to the front audio pins on my motherboard and plugging the speakers into the motherboard’s back audio port. Still no automatic sound swapping and no mic functionality. This is my current configuration.

— Having the speakers connected to the Creative sound card and the headset connected to the front panel audio on my motherboard via the front audio/mic combo cable. I have also tried having the speakers connected to my motherboard audio and my headset connected to my Creative sound card via the front audio/mic combo cable. Both still required me to constantly reset default devices.

— In all of the configurations, I’ve gone to control panel and set my speakers as the default audio device and my headset as the default communication device. Again, no automatic audio switching and the headset mic often doesn’t work.

I realize I could probably end this madness by ditching the speakers and using only the headset. I don’t want to do this because my girlfriend, her daughter and I use the speakers to listen to music or hear the audio on math practice videos, and I use the headset when I play Overwatch or other games so that I don’t bother them. Additionally, they’re both very tech illiterate and will in no way be able to remember or do the control panel default audio devices nonsense.

Thanks!

macschwag14, Jun 6, 2020
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue Hotkey to swap between default speakers and usb headset :p

cadaveca, Jun 6, 2020
  4. Verikon Win User

Need a New Headset and Speakers.

I've always had good success with Logitech speakers aswell. The Logitech X-230 2.1 speakers can be found for around $50.

On another note, Namslas90 why do you suggest non USB? I'm not sure about Cybie1111's situation, but I like having a USB headset as I can set my teamspeak to work through the headset and have game sound through the speakers. Just would like your input if you know of issues caused by USB headsets.

Verikon, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Hotkey to swap between default speakers and usb headset - Similar Threads - Hotkey swap between

2. Headset\Default Speakers not available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headset\Default Speakers not available: Hello, recently I was using a cloud gaming service, but when I quit it my default speakers\headset speakers were replaced with Steam Streaming Speakers. I've tried resetting my pc multiple times to no avail. I'm not sure what to do since this is my only pair of headphones and...
  3. Headset\Default Speakers not available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headset\Default Speakers not available: Hello, recently I was using a cloud gaming service, but when I quit it my default speakers\headset speakers were replaced with Steam Streaming Speakers. I've tried resetting my pc multiple times to no avail. I'm not sure what to do since this is my only pair of headphones and...
  4. Headset\Default Speakers not available

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Realtek Headset swap to Speakers

Realtek Headset swap to Speakers: I share a computer, and the person I share with wants to hear through the speakers on my computer and not the headset I have. I've tried looking through Realtek's audio manager that I have on Windows 10, but I can't find a way to swap to speakers without unplugging the...
  6. Audio not switching between speakers and headphones after case swap

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio not switching between speakers and headphones after case swap: Got my self a new computer case yesterday and plugged in my old components and everything went fine. But now when im switching between my speakers and headphones the audio stays on just my headphones until i open a new program then it plays on my speakers and vice versa....
  7. Is there a way to setup a hotkey to switch between monitor speakers & headset?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to setup a hotkey to switch between monitor speakers & headset?: I like to switch depending on if people are nearby me or not and I probably switch between my monitor and headset alot more than the average person. Is there a way to set up a hotkey so I don't have to keep opening menus? submitted by /u/UsedSpaghetti-O [link] [comments]...
  8. how to change hotkey for language swapping?

how to change hotkey for language swapping?: so I use " ` " as a hotkey for changing between 2 languages for a long time and my new laptop has a difference hotkey for changing("win+space") i'm very annoyed by having to press 2 keys at once so can anyone tell me how I can change the language changing hotkey?...
  9. Win 10 not switching between speaker and headset automatically

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 not switching between speaker and headset automatically: Recently, after a win patch this problem occured. When I boot the computer it recognizes any sound output device (headset or speaker if plugged in, default laptop speaker if nothing is plugged in) and sticks with it until restart. So if it booted with a plugged in speaker,...
  10. Automatically swap sound between speakers and headset?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Automatically swap sound between speakers and headset?: Hi all, and apologies for the long post. I'm trying to thorough. I currently have a Razer Kraken Pro Z analog headset (separate plugs for headphones and mic) plugged into the front audio and mic ports on my desktop. I have stereo speakers plugged into the back stereo port...